PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
We have one traditional cast iron skillet and a couple of little ones for some niche individual serving dishes that come out once in awhile. The cast iron is limited to a few specific things, otherwise it's a mix of a few good quality carbon steel, nonstick, enameled cast iron and stainless steel pots and pans. They all do their jobs if we do ours!

Reactions: JOHN72 and Hovannes

pipingfool

Can't Leave
Sep 29, 2016
Seattle, WA
I have a few pieces that have accumulated over the years. A #10 Lodge skillet that I got about 25 years ago; a 15" Lodge skillet that my mother-in-law gave me about 13 years ago; a 7qt Lodge Dutch Oven with the little spikes on the lid that is perfect for braising; and a no-name #10 skillet that was my great-grandmother's. That is my favorite because the surface is so much smoother and it is also lighter.

I also have a carbon steel skillet that I really love as well as a carbon steel wok. Both are very non-stick and of course are lighter than cast iron.

The rest of my cookware is a Calphalon Tri-ply set that I got about 14 years ago. That stuff is great. Stainless steel on the inside and out with a full core of aluminum. They are very responsive to heat changes and heat up very evenly. My only gripe is that the set came with glass lids. Glass lids don't fare well in our kitchen. LOL.

Reactions: JOHN72 and Hovannes

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Heck ya, absolutely! I have a

#4 Griswold "small logo" skillet
#8 pre-Griswold "Erie" skillet
#8 Griswold "small logo" griddle-skillet
#10 Griswold "large logo" griddle

And Wednesday I ordered a #12 Fields skillet with lid for Christmas, and I can't wait to get it! Fields is having a 30% off Blackfriday sale that, along with free shipping, makes these fine, made in the USA cast iron skillets a deal that just can't be passed up, if you're in the market.
They are made with the highest quality iron of a proprietary blend, machined smooth, with thin walls and a thick bottom just like Griswold used to make and come pre-seasoned with 3 coatings of grape-seed oil. Made to last many generations.

I use all of them, all of the time puffy

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Then again a chef friend of mine told me in professional kitchens it is all stainless steel or aluminium. Even the posh French restaurants with the copper pots and pans use these mostly to take photographs, on the job it's all stainless steel.
This is correct, my oldest daughter is a Chef and has worked in several high-end places. But there are good reasons why restaurants use stainless and aluminum. They heat up faster, they clean up faster, they require no time or effort deal with maintaining the seasoning, but they last for years and years. Which all leads to a more efficient kitchen that can put food out quicker. Some restaurants do use cast iron in the baking of breads and muffins though.

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I use my grandmothers old cast iron skillet. I am ashamed to admit I broke the griddle she passed down to me. Dropped it when I tried to pick it up with a poor pot holder

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
This is correct, my oldest daughter is a Chef and has worked in several high-end places. But there are good reasons why restaurants use stainless and aluminum. They heat up faster, they clean up faster, they require no time or effort deal with maintaining the seasoning, but they last for years and years. Which all leads to a more efficient kitchen that can put food out quicker. Some restaurants do use cast iron in the baking of breads and muffins though.
Exactly, they are no fuss, are the cheapest, lightest, sturdiest. A home pan may be used once per day, or even per couple of days. A professional kitchen's pans are used and washed tens of time per day, there's no time to faff around.

Reactions: monty55