96 Fresh Peterson Pipes
18 Fresh Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

That's exactly my problem: a bit hard on the throat and make me cough. Great to now that it is a matter of age. Although I'm quite impatient as well haha
With some, maybe make a cavendish. Let the rest do it’s thing. I’m not an expert on those. Some of these guys have done this. I’ve made a twist cavendish of sorts, but I did a hack job on it. Smokes nice, but I didn’t push the heat and pressure.

Reactions: Ocam and Ahi Ka

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Great info Cosmic!

I've been experimenting with casings and cookings because my availability of whole leaf tobacco is very limited. I only have Burley and Virginia of one kind. And I like their flavor, but they are a bit harsh for me. So that's why I try to improve them a little. But otherwise I really favor the approach of using tobaccos and keeping them natural.
You can do a lot with A virginia by stoving. I’ll take a Virginia and stove it for different lengths of time. I’ll do a batch and remove some of the leaf at 2 hours. Then at 4-6 hours and then leave the rest in for 8-12 hours for a dark cavendish. Mix these together in different proportions with some unstoved leaf and you can get a huge range of flavours from a single leaf.

Reactions: Ocam and Ahi Ka

Ocam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Spain
You can do a lot with A virginia by stoving. I’ll take a Virginia and stove it for different lengths of time. I’ll do a batch and remove some of the leaf at 2 hours. Then at 4-6 hours and then leave the rest in for 8-12 hours for a dark cavendish. Mix these together in different proportions with some unstoved leaf and you can get a huge range of flavours from a single leaf.
Great! I've been trying this as well: different times of stoving and pressing. But so far, isolated tests. You've given me the idea of mixing all of them together. Thanks!

Reactions: F4RM3R

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Great! I've been trying this as well: different times of stoving and pressing. But so far, isolated tests. You've given me the idea of mixing all of them together. Thanks!
Ya no prob! Mix em up and press and boom! Flavourtown! I almost always make my Virginia stoved, and just add a bit of unstoved(5-10%) for some breadyness). 10-20% black stoved can add a nice touch to almost any blend. I’ve also settled on around 2 hours stoving as a good amount to have a Virginia still keep some of its bready or grassy flavours, while still developing some other darker, fruitier flavours. But hey, whatever you like, experiment!

F4RM3R

Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Would Royal Yacht be a good tobacco to stove?
I’m not sure as I haven’t tried it. I personally wouldn’t stove many commercial blends as I just enjoy them for what they are and maybe add some strong leaf it it needs some. (I’m stoving with whole leaf for most of what I smoke) But there are guys who stove pre made blends and tins. I think about 2 hours @200f is a good place to start.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
You should consider trying a mojo. Here's some info,

Annaresti Red

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 20, 2021
Concord, CA
www.tobaccoreviews.com
For Burley I like a bit of apple vinegar with the brown sugar. It adds something to the tobacco flavor that goes pretty well. Also, I like my burley not too sweet (sort of C&D style), so I don't case it too much. If you prefer ABF or something like that, they have a lot of casing.
I know this an old thread, but I want to try your blends!