PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Thanks for the encouragement.

On reflection, I slipped up in the review and wished I could go back and edit it. I wrote one of the final sentences from a personal set of circumstances and it does not come across very inclusive of other situations, particularly to our female smokers who are in the forum. My apologies. Mea culpa. :(

There's actually a funny story that I had in mind when I wrote it, because one of my most vivid early smoking memories was when my wife walked out onto the patio and she had her first encounter with an English blend with a bit of latakia. ? I had no clue really what latakia was yet, but her reaction started to educate me that some blends might be a bit more social oriented than others!

Anyhow, I should have written it this way in the first place...
lol, I remember my wife asking me why I was burning tires when I smoked my first latakia blend outside

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Not to downvote OTCs (I enjoy both the occasional CH and SWR), but I strongly recommend Angler’s Dream to those who enjoy this “OTC” style of blend. Will smoke more dry, and you may find it a less adulterated tobacco experience.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

--dante--

Lifer
Jun 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA USA
Not to downvote OTCs (I enjoy both the occasional CH and SWR), but I strongly recommend Angler’s Dream to those who enjoy this “OTC” style of blend. Will smoke more dry, and you may find it a less adulterated tobacco experience.
Is Angler's Dream on the Carter Hall side of tobaccos (sweet, nutty burley)? I keep seeing it recommended.

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Even though I am known far-and-wide as THE Prince Albert fan, I must agree that every piper should have a tub - not a pouch - but, a tub of Carter Hall on-hand. One key difference between CH and PA is that CH leaves a far greater deal of resin behind in your bowl; which is a plus, when breaking in a new pipe. CH is also a great blend to smoke, when you want something just a bit different than what you otherwise smoke in OTC's; especially when you are not looking to get all fancy-pants, esoteric, nor, exploratory and experimental. - Sherm Natman

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
I still haven't tried Carter Hall. Prince Albert and Half and Half are some of my go-to's.
OTCs like Carter Hall and Prince Albert aren't easily available here in Australia.

These are the only two that I've tried and they're both very good all day smokes.
I've also found Carter Hall to be a very good mixer; just 10% added to a sharp bitey Virginia or an astringent English can make a huge difference. [PA would also serve the purpose nicely]

Were OTCs like CH and PA freely available here at reasonable cost, I'd be smoking at least a couple of bowls of either every day.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
My Grandfather always smoked OTC blends, mainly because he didn't have internet, or access to the more sophisticated blends.
There's nothing wrong with that, he smoked what was available to him at the time, but I often wonder what he would have thought of my tobacco cellar, with Balkan Sobranie, Duhill, Peterson and C&D, etc.
I'm almost positive that he would have had something comical, yet wise and moderately chastising to say about the amount of money I had invested in my tobacco cabinet.
He usually smoked PA mixed 50/50 with Middleton's Cherry, and he would mix a tub at a time, it had a wonderful room note as I remember.
I guess I'm saying that there's something to be said for "simple and uncomplicated".
As far as your review goes, well done!
I like your comment about starting with a good baseline for comparison and going from there.

biz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2020
Florida
I absolutely love it. You can't eat Tiramisu all the time. You have to throw in some Pecan pie with whipped cream once in a while!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
OTCs like Carter Hall and Prince Albert aren't easily available here in Australia.
That is outrageous. I would organize a revolt, and demand the Australian people have free and easy access to these tobacco blends!

After all, what's the worst thing they can do to you... ship you off to some remote penal colony on a jungle island located in some distant part of the globe, way out in the middle of the ocean.... ah.. wait... err... umm... never mind. - Sherm Natman

Reactions: biz

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
That is outrageous. I would organize a revolt, and demand the Australian people have free and easy access to these tobacco blends!

After all, what's the worst thing they can do to you... ship you off to some remote penal colony on a jungle island located in some distant part of the globe, way out in the middle of the ocean.... ah.. wait... err... umm... never mind. - Sherm Natman
they could do what some dads have done. Oh you want that tobacco then smoke all of it. Smoke a caseload of it in one sitting.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I once heard someone say every once in a while they would smoke a whole tub of CH before smoking anything else in order to "cleanse their pallette".

PipeDad33

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 27, 2020
Kansas
Carter Hall was my first tobacco, even if has only been just over two weeks now. That said it was good enough to get me intrigued about more tobaccos and pipes.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Why is CH the best for breaking in a new pipe?
Hi Prof B
The post your questioning is from February so I’ll help answer this for you.

Carter Hall is a very easy blend to smoke. It burns evenly and easily and somewhat quickly, but seldom smokes hot.

It’s also a very tasty Blend. But that’s subjective.

It leaves behind a nice carbon deposit and after just a few bowls, this coating protects the Briar wood from burnout. It “builds an even cake” quicker than other blends.

So Carter Hall and some other OTC’s like Prince Albert are used for the initial smoking of new pipes.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian
Status
Not open for further replies.