PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
003-590-0001.jpg

What could a relatively new pipe smoker add to the reviews about Carter Hall that has not been already written? Also, do I dare write a review for such a cliché tobacco? The good thing about being new, is that you don't know enough to stay out of trouble, so here we go...! ?

The main thing I can say is that I wished I had started with Carter Hall when I took up the pipe. I shied away from Prince Albert, Carter Hall and the other 'over the counter (OTC) codger blends' because of some level of disdain that I picked up on about them. (btw, OTCs are very hard to find in the stores in my area and I have had to get them online anyhow!)

Going in with bravado that I was going to 'go big or go home', I went all in on some 'better blends', particularly aromatics. This was not fatal, but I think at least for me and perhaps some new smokers, it might not be the best way to start. Here's my reasons...

1. As a new smoker of any kind, I had no clue what I was looking for and so had no palette to judge from. It was just all hot smoke to me and so I had no baseline of what to judge by in terms of what I did or did not prefer. I didn't spend hundreds, but the nicer blends were really not money well spent.

2. I had no clue coming into the pipe that technique was so important. In fact, bad technique just turns out to be a big torture and dread. It was not relaxing, fun or pleasurable. Aside from money not well spent, there was real risk to me giving up.

3. Similarly, there are so many things you are getting accustomed to (different blend characteristics, moisture levels, nic hits, avoiding tongue bite, pipe goop, anti-social room note, breaking in a new bowl, etc) that I just needed a tobacco that 'just worked' in all categories and got out of the way as I got a bunch bowls under my belt.

In summary, Carter Hall is no 'premium blend' for sure. However, for what it is, it is four out of four stars... an easy, mild, refreshing, bread and butter burley/virginia smoke that packs and lights easy. The nic hit and strength is mild to set a baseline in smoking, the room note won't kill your wife who has wondered if you have gone mad with this new hobby and it will almost smoke itself.

I'm not crazy enough to say this is the way that all new smokers should start, but it is one perspective to consider. At least for me it was a fast track to start enjoying the pipe AND it is good enough for what it is that if I got stuck on a deserted island with a 55 gallon drum of it I would certainly be plenty happy!

Last edited:

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
View attachment 18202

What could a relatively new pipe smoker add to the reviews about Carter Hall that has not been already written? Also, do I dare write a review for such a cliché tobacco? The good thing about being new, is that you don't know enough to stay out of trouble, so here we go...! ?

The main thing I can say is that I wished I had started with Carter Hall when I took up the pipe. I shied away from Prince Albert, Carter Hall and the other 'over the counter (OTC) codger blends' because of some level of disdain that I picked up on about them. (btw, OTCs are very hard to find in the stores in my area and I have had to get them online anyhow!)

Going in with bravado that I was going to 'go big or go home', I went all in on some 'better blends', particularly aromatics. This was not fatal, but I think at least for me and perhaps some new smokers, it might not be the best way to start. Here's my reasons...

1. As a new smoker of any kind, I had no clue what I was looking for and so had no palette to judge from. It was just all hot smoke to me and so I had no baseline of what to judge by in terms of what I did or did not prefer. I didn't spend hundreds, but the nicer blends were really not money well spent.

2. I had no clue coming into the pipe that technique was so important. In fact, bad technique just turns out to be a big torture and dread. It was not relaxing, fun or pleasurable. Aside from money not well spent, there was real risk to me giving up.

3. Similarly, there are so many things you are getting accustomed to (different blend characteristics, moisture levels, nic hits, avoiding tongue bite, pipe goop, anti-social room note, breaking in a new bowl, etc) that I just needed a tobacco that 'just worked' in all categories and got out of the way as I got a bunch bowls under my belt.

In summary, Carter Hall is no 'premium blend' for sure. However, for what it is, it is four out of four stars... an easy, mild, refreshing, bread and butter burley/virginia smoke that packs and lights easy. The nic hit and strength is mild to set a baseline in smoking, the room note won't kill your wife who has wondered if you have gone mad with this new hobby and it will almost smoke itself.

I'm not crazy enough to say this is the way that all new smokers should start, but it is one perspective to consider. At least for me it was a fast track to start enjoying the pipe AND it is good enough for what it is that if I got stuck on a deserted island with a 55 gallon drum of it I would certainly be plenty happy!
Just because you are new to pipe-smoking, that doesn't make your comments and critiques -about a mixture or blend- any less valid than those comments which might be offered by other more experienced pipe smokers.

We all have something to learn. Keep posting. No doubt, your opinions about the various blends and mixtures that you try along the "road of discovery" will change with time. Everything changes with some age. Pipe tobacco is no different.

Those candid, initial reactions, can be quite an eye opener for the jaded, for the more experienced-who-might-want-to-try, and for those who might want a nostalgic revisit with old blend/friend from their youth.

docrameous

Can't Leave
May 6, 2019
Colorado
Keep posting.

Thanks for the encouragement.

On reflection, I slipped up in the review and wished I could go back and edit it. I wrote one of the final sentences from a personal set of circumstances and it does not come across very inclusive of other situations, particularly to our female smokers who are in the forum. My apologies. Mea culpa. :(

There's actually a funny story that I had in mind when I wrote it, because one of my most vivid early smoking memories was when my wife walked out onto the patio and she had her first encounter with an English blend with a bit of latakia. ? I had no clue really what latakia was yet, but her reaction started to educate me that some blends might be a bit more social oriented than others!

Anyhow, I should have written it this way in the first place...

The nic hit and strength is mild to set a baseline in smoking, the room note won't kill those you live with who have started to wonder if you have gone mad with this new hobby and it will almost smoke itself.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
View attachment 18202

nothing wrong with OTC blends. They aren't really my thing is all. But that doesn't make them bad. Also I like new people reviews best. I almost feel like they're more approachable and more focused on what it's like to smoke a blend then what subtle difference can be found.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thanks for the encouragement.

On reflection, I slipped up in the review and wished I could go back and edit it. I wrote one of the final sentences from a personal set of circumstances and it does not come across very inclusive of other situations, particularly to our female smokers who are in the forum. My apologies. Mea culpa. :(

There's actually a funny story that I had in mind when I wrote it, because one of my most vivid early smoking memories was when my wife walked out onto the patio and she had her first encounter with an English blend with a bit of latakia. ? I had no clue really what latakia was yet, but her reaction started to educate me that some blends might be a bit more social oriented than others!

Anyhow, I should have written it this way in the first place...
personally I doubt they'll mind that much. And if anyone does they're already going to be unhappy because we have lots of discussions about wife reactions and such and how lucky some of us are if the wife encourages heavily our hobbies or even participates.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I recently laid in a tub of Granger, another grand old leaf. My dad smoked it for much of his adult life and part of his teenage years. I also have a tub of SWR Aromatic. Deeming regs or not, I think I have enough jars, tins, and pouches and baggies for years to come. And about a quarter tub of Midtown Chestnut which I always enjoy.

rushx9

Lifer
Jul 10, 2019
Shelby, NC
I started with Carter Hall and loved it at first. Then I tried Prince Albert and SWR and liked them even more. Then I went back to CH and now I can't smoke it without getting tonguebite/burley throat because I puff so much looking for flavor. It kinda just tastes like cardboard to me now. I do like to occasionally mix it with loud aros to tone them down some though. I wish I did like it as much as at first because it's always available at the grocery store near my house. Luckily, they have SWR/SWRA, which are the only OTCs I'd go as far as to say I really like these days... maybe it's because my grandpa smoked SWR and PA that I'll always have a soft spot for those blends. I will say that I have definitely tried several highly regarded expensive tinned burley blends that, to me, are nearly indistinguishable from CH, Edgeworth RR, and/or PA, so if you can smoke the latter happily you'll save a lot of money down the road!

Magpiety

Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
Great job on this review. I still smoke CH from time to time, I like to run a pouch of OTC tobacco through new pipes. Not for any scientific reason, it's just this weird old habit I have.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
I haven't ordered any yet, not because of snobbery but because its said to be quite a mild blend and I seem to have more of a preference for fuller flavored tobacco. Id like to try it one day, if anything because its such a classic. If any of the "drug stores" in my area actually still carried it I would've picked some up by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.