PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magpiety

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 7, 2019
Kansas City
I had no clue really what latakia was yet, but her reaction started to educate me that some blends might be a bit more social oriented than others!

This alone has relegated my English smoking to late at night in my study, right before I shower before bed. It's definitely made me enjoy VA and Burley based blends a lot more.

Blends with a smaller amount of latakia don't seem to be an issue, like junkyard dawg, or watch city crumb cut.

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
I am a newbie and CH has saved me. I call it training wheels for pipes. I see references to the chemical thing, but I don't detect that myself. I do find a little drying time is still best for me though moisture out of the pouch is very close. I am still smoking it and have plenty stocked up. I tried something I will share. I have some University Flake and the berry topping is a bit much and I can't see doing University Flake as a normal smoke. However, take 3-4 flakes and rub it out really good and mix that into a pouch of CH. It really complements CH and gives it a bit more flavor and an even nicer room note, but does not change it too far towards University Flake.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I just received 2 oz of Chatham Hall, a Home and Hearth Midtown series match on Carter Hall, although of course somewhat different. The first bowl wasn't a humdinger, but that's often true of first bowls of anything. I have some 1-Q on hand from long ago, and other OTC's I enjoy. Sometimes you just want a basic smoke that stays lit and didn't require Interpol and the World Trade Organization to locate a basic sample.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
View attachment 18202

What could a relatively new pipe smoker add to the reviews about Carter Hall that has not been already written? Also, do I dare write a review for such a cliché tobacco? The good thing about being new, is that you don't know enough to stay out of trouble, so here we go...! ?

The main thing I can say is that I wished I had started with Carter Hall when I took up the pipe. I shied away from Prince Albert, Carter Hall and the other 'over the counter (OTC) codger blends' because of some level of disdain that I picked up on about them. (btw, OTCs are very hard to find in the stores in my area and I have had to get them online anyhow!)

Going in with bravado that I was going to 'go big or go home', I went all in on some 'better blends', particularly aromatics. This was not fatal, but I think at least for me and perhaps some new smokers, it might not be the best way to start. Here's my reasons...

1. As a new smoker of any kind, I had no clue what I was looking for and so had no palette to judge from. It was just all hot smoke to me and so I had no baseline of what to judge by in terms of what I did or did not prefer. I didn't spend hundreds, but the nicer blends were really not money well spent.

2. I had no clue coming into the pipe that technique was so important. In fact, bad technique just turns out to be a big torture and dread. It was not relaxing, fun or pleasurable. Aside from money not well spent, there was real risk to me giving up.

3. Similarly, there are so many things you are getting accustomed to (different blend characteristics, moisture levels, nic hits, avoiding tongue bite, pipe goop, anti-social room note, breaking in a new bowl, etc) that I just needed a tobacco that 'just worked' in all categories and got out of the way as I got a bunch bowls under my belt.

In summary, Carter Hall is no 'premium blend' for sure. However, for what it is, it is four out of four stars... an easy, mild, refreshing, bread and butter burley/virginia smoke that packs and lights easy. The nic hit and strength is mild to set a baseline in smoking, the room note won't kill your wife who has wondered if you have gone mad with this new hobby and it will almost smoke itself.

I'm not crazy enough to say this is the way that all new smokers should start, but it is one perspective to consider. At least for me it was a fast track to start enjoying the pipe AND it is good enough for what it is that if I got stuck on a deserted island with a 55 gallon drum of it I would certainly be plenty happy!
Atta boy!!! I could at least make a 55 gallon drum last a couple weeks! For the price, definetly worth it!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Slowpony

Might Stick Around
Sep 9, 2019
NC
I agree! I have a jar of carter hall on standby for a quick smoke and when I don’t want to deplete my main cellar. I like it in the rotation.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
I’ve got a lot of love for the codger blends. Carter Hall is all my Uncle ever smokes. I like it as well. I also like Half & Half and Prince Albert. Walnut and Sugar Barrel were excellent, and I really wish they would bring them back. I still have a little of both on hand, but I almost can’t bring myself to smoke them....
If I’m in the mood for something aromatic, I blend Prince Albert and straight black cavendish 50/50 for a blend I like to call “Fat Albert”. It makes for a pretty tasty smoke.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I used to tell people that it's a great beginner smoke. But I've been hearing some negative things about taste and difficulty smoking it. Now I'm wondering ... I think it's delicious and easy to smoke!

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.