PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Check the
Vests and sport coats were popular year-round back then, so plenty of pockets were available to store things.
woolen mills and uniform type shops ... you can still get nice vests with lots of pockets ...and for all types of weather not just winter. Carhardt makes a decent brush jacket thats good in all seasons and can frequently be found at Odd Lot stores etc. at a discount. Personally I have a few LLBean and Land Ends heavy duty shirt jackets with big pockets for summer lunting. Check the clearance racks first ... you never know what you might find that can be repurposed to lunting. 2 cents. ...

Reactions: Snook

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Heck I've seen pipe smokers wear fishing vests to carry their pipes and accessories. I laugh at that, but it seems very affective. I guess you would call them lunting vests
My sister bought me a very nice black thermal padded vest with three large cargo pockets that would be perfect ... but it also has magazine pouches, equipment laniers and shotgun shell loops all over it ... In today's politically sensitive climate though ... I think I should probably remove the big nametag that says "Renegade" ... :ROFLMAO: ... or just wait a while longer ... :ROFLMAO:

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Back to back in the day: I doubt many carried paraphernalia. Just a pipe and some tobacco. Matches available at the pub. Certainly no pipe cleaners, pipe tools, rollups, etc.
I agree. When I was a kid I saw a lot of pipe smoking adults around me. Never saw a single tamping tool. Everyone used finger. And.... they did not clean them with pipe cleaners nearly as frequently as we discuss on the forum.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
With Clay pipes it was common to snap the stem in half so it would fit in a waistcoat pocket.
I've read that back in 18th century, in the common houses and pubs, they would frequently have clay pipes laying on the tables for customers to use for smoking if they didn't have their own. If the ends got really nasty, they would just break off the tip and keep going.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Weren't fanny packs a thing in the 80's? Not before nor since as far as I have seen, but I live in a half rural, half suburban community.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
From my understanding. It's the same as now. Some people carried full kit and had fancy roll pouches sometimes even custom made and some people just threw it in their pocket. Some people cherished and collected pipes and babied those pipes and some bought a pipe and ran it into the ground. Funny thing people are the same way with cars.
I don't know why we (including myself) see the past as simpler and more monolithic when it seems like the facts are people have always come in many styles and forms.
One thing is catalogs and stores carried many of the same types of paraphernalia for smokers if not even more. Basically we've had options as pipe smokers for a long time.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Most of them from what I remember had small pouch like current ones with zipper. The usually did codger scoop out of the pouch when they were packing. But I don't remember seeing anyone taking pipe out of any carry on bag. Seems like the pipes were in their outer pocket of sports coat or sweater. Their clothing must have been smelling like pipe smoke.

Reactions: PaulRVA

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
From my understanding. It's the same as now. Some people carried full kit and had fancy roll pouches sometimes even custom made and some people just threw it in their pocket. Some people cherished and collected pipes and babied those pipes and some bought a pipe and ran it into the ground. Funny thing people are the same way with cars.
I don't know why we (including myself) see the past as simpler and more monolithic when it seems like the facts are people have always come in many styles and forms.
One thing is catalogs and stores carried many of the same types of paraphernalia for smokers if not even more. Basically we've had options as pipe smokers for a long time.
I agree that basic human nature is the same now as it was hundreds of years ago, we are much more blessed with plenty and can afford to collect and keep things such as pipes, guns, coins, stamps, cars, etc......
While there were exceptions that were privileged to the point of being able to collect prized items, the rank and file lived a much more practical lifestyle and things were used until used up without the good fortune to be able to collect things.
Example: My Great Grandfather was a Confederate cavalryman. He brought home from the war a captured yankee saber. This would be worth a lot of money today but in the 1860's it was more beneficial to cut it into three pieces and use them as cane knives. I have two of the three sections and would not take anything for them. This was the norm rather than the exception.
Everyone having collections of valuables is a 20th/21st century creation.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I agree that basic human nature is the same now as it was hundreds of years ago, we are much more blessed with plenty and can afford to collect and keep things such as pipes, guns, coins, stamps, cars, etc......
While there were exceptions that were privileged to the point of being able to collect prized items, the rank and file lived a much more practical lifestyle and things were used until used up without the good fortune to be able to collect things.
Example: My Great Grandfather was a Confederate cavalryman. He brought home from the war a captured yankee saber. This would be worth a lot of money today but in the 1860's it was more beneficial to cut it into three pieces and use them as cane knives. I have two of the three sections and would not take anything for them. This was the norm rather than the exception.
Everyone having collections of valuables is a 20th/21st century creation.
true but there is still a good variety of the practical things people might splurge on. Well maybe not practical but functional. I think my favorite pipe carrying thing I saw in an old clip was the pipe and tobacco in a briefcase that was also being used in the standard way. More so in old but not that old decades.