Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I've been watching several documentaries and other shows as of late that are based around the turn of the century. Of course, cigarette and pipe smoking are featured heavily as they were so commonplace at the time. Today I got to wondering, though, and now I'm curious: what were common methods that folks used to carry their pipes and related paraphernalia around back in the day?
No need to put your pipe anywhere else when it's in your gob all day. puffy

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Fanny packs.
We call them Bum Bags across the ditch 😁

Back in the days most would just shove a pipe, tobacco and other paraphernalia into a pocket or two

If one was a “gentleman”, the valet would presumably be tasked with that

And if one frequented a tavern, no doubt there would a wench or two to attend to one’s smoking needs
😏

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Have you seen some of those pipe tobacco ads from the 60s/70's? The Joe Everyman walking around seems to pull from the coat pockets when it does show something. Back when the right pipe tobacco had the ladies eyeing you rather than having the right brand of beer.

But, who knows how they managed to load a smokable bowl without drying and doing gravity fill or any of the other 100 different loading methods (🙄):

agata

Lurker
Jan 13, 2024
I've been watching several documentaries and other shows as of late that are based around the turn of the century. Of course, cigarette and pipe smoking are featured heavily as they were so commonplace at the time. Today I got to wondering, though, and now I'm curious: what were common methods that folks used to carry their pipes and related paraphernalia around back in the day? I doubt they used the fancy hand-made custom leather pipe rolls like you find nowadays (which can sometimes be over-the-top). And I doubt they were carrying around pipe cleaners and other such items with regularity. It was more of a utilitarian mindset, I think. It seems it was also more common to be smoking throughout the entire day, as opposed to just a bowl or two.

Vests and sport coats were popular year-round back then, so plenty of pockets were available to store things. Would someone setting out for their day just put a pipe and some matches in their pocket, and maybe have a small pouch of their preferred blend in another?

Personally, I have a pipe roll that my wife made for me when we were first dating. I'll usually carry everything in there (lighter, tamp, cleaners, pipe, tobacco), but sometimes it's nice to just fill a bowl, throw it in my pocket, and set out without all the extra stuff to carry with me. I find this easier to do in colder months when I'm wearing a jacket with extra pockets, though.

What are your thoughts? I'm interested to hear.
Your reflections on the practicality of carrying pipes back in the day are quite intriguing. It seems the simplicity of just having a pipe and matches in the pocket, maybe with a pouch of preferred blend, was a common approach. Personally, I appreciate the convenience of a pipe roll, but there's something charming about the idea of a minimalistic setup for a casual smoke.

Reactions: yanoJL and Snook

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Pockets for sure, but the well outfitted pipe smoker would have a nice cased pipe, or even a small two pipe cased set that easily slipped into one’s pocket with pipes designed for such use. I own one of those. Both bowls are capacious with short stems. Add to that a pouch to keep your favorite blend and you’re set.
Wouldn’t do to have a mess or burn a hole in one’s pocket.

jaingorenard

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
As others have said, pockets. My grandad used to carry one pipe, a leather tobacco pouch, and matches. The pipe was usually in his mouth, the rest could fit in any pocket.

The other side to this is that I suspect many people would have had cigarettes, pipes or cigars at their office. Depending on the job, of course. You often see photos of small humidors, cigarette boxes, pipe racks, tobacco jars etc. on someone's desk.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
I don't think that much has changed. Everyone had the yellow waxed cotton tobacco pouches growing up and I still do and use it. Most people either carried a tin in their jacket pocket with their pipe, either a lighter or a box of Swan matches. When not in the tropics I tend to wear heavy tweed suits with waist coats, that's a vest to you American's! I find I can get a pipe, lump of plug, plug knife and box of matches happily into one of the many pockets. It is all a matter of preference and since the number of places that allow smoking these days seems to diminish by the hour I guess we will all be stay at home smokers very soon.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Most shirts had pockets, most men wore a jacket or coat of some kind. And those that didn't generally wore overalls or coveralls. Tee-shirts weren't a thing, and when they were they typically only worn by members of the military or athletes. As @sablebrush52 said, prior to WWII cased pipes were pretty common, even in pairs. Tobacco tins were much more pocket friendly, as many were actually designed to to be small enough to fit in a pocket or bib overall. If you smoked bulk or from a 1lb tin you likely had a pouch. Pipe cleaners were available but were not widely used in the US, thats why Kaywoodies were SO popular. You could unscrew the stem and shake the moisture off mid smoke. From the late 20's to the early 40's the screw tenon was far more prevalent in the US than the push tenon. All the major US manufacturers made screw tenons as opposed to push. While the screw tenon didn't really catch on anywhere else, it outsold everything else here.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
I bought a fantastic old Linkman’s Canadian pipe for $8 at a flea market that had the most god awful custom made leather belt holster with the previous owner’s initials tooled into it. Promptly shitcanned the holster because it was horrid but the pipe was in fantastic condition and I still smoke it! I cannot imagine seeing someone carrying a pipe that way, but I would absolutely bust a gut laughing if I ever see it.

That’s one way NOT to carry a pipe. 😂
Reminds me of this picture I found of a guy carrying around Tabasco in a holster. You never know when you're gonna need it, I guess!

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 6.17.02 AM.png
If I'm going somewhere and bringing a pipe, I usually just put the pipe, tobacco and Bic lighter right in my pocket. For carrying the tobacco I usually use an old Altoids mint tin. It easily holds enough for half a dozen bowls and I find with the lid folded out it makes a convenient to load a bowl. I can even keep a few pipe cleaners folded up in the tin.
The Altoids tin is a great idea! I have a bunch laying around, I'll give that a try.
My guess like others have said is, pockets. I'm guessing that was a regular thing back then, being that some manufacturers made pocket pipes. Heck I've seen pipe smokers wear fishing vests to carry their pipes and accessories. I laugh at that, but it seems very affective. I guess you would call them lunting vests and not fishing vests in that case.
Ah yes, I've seen those vests here and there on the internet. I respect it... but for me it's too much! Less is more, in my opinion.

Snook

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2019
Idaho
Have you seen some of those pipe tobacco ads from the 60s/70's? The Joe Everyman walking around seems to pull from the coat pockets when it does show something. Back when the right pipe tobacco had the ladies eyeing you rather than having the right brand of beer.

But, who knows how they managed to load a smokable bowl without drying and doing gravity fill or any of the other 100 different loading methods (🙄):
Advertising at its finest! Love that single-finger bowl loading action. Can't say that my experience smoking a pipe in public has been the same, though...