PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Pockets for sure, but the well outfitted pipe smoker would have a nice cased pipe, or even a small two pipe cased set that easily slipped into one’s pocket with pipes designed for such use. I own one of those. Both bowls are capacious with short stems. Add to that a pouch to keep your favorite blend and you’re set.
Wouldn’t do to have a mess or burn a hole in one’s pocket.
Right! I suspect businessmen pipe smokers had some means of ruining expensive suits.
I've always been on the lookout for one of these, but have yet to find one.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
When not in the tropics I tend to wear heavy tweed suits with waist coats, that's a vest to you American's!
What about when you are wearing those Seersucker suits? Those will soil easily. Tweed, will hide a multitude of sins.

I'll have to check with my wife, on her grandfather. I only recall him smoking at home, where he never had a pipe that wasn't within arms reach. In the car, he smoke a cheap cigar. Good times going over the rolling hills of Western Maryland!

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I prefer simple and easy to access methods for carrying a pipe. If I have to wear dressier clothes I have a leather British Airways travel pouch that is 4" x8" that will hold a large pipe and a tri-fold tobacco pouch that will fit into a dress jacket inner pocket provided I pack the tobacco a little thinner. I also have a Leavenger pocket pad holder that is softsided leather ... its like a 5 cigar holder with a flap on top ... not as roomy but workable. I also have a hard sided sunglass case that is wider for large sunglasses that works with medium to smaller pipes and zip lock bag or pouch of tobacco. All of these were virtually "new" goodwill purchases for $1 to $5 dollars and all work o.k. for protecting jacket pockets. People buy a alot of "stuff" then don't use it and donate it.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Yup I just use pockets and put my pipes in the sheaths they come in or I’ve sowed a couple myself for estate pipes. Or for travel or long walks a bag or knapsack.

Reactions: Snook

exbenedict

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2018
I am in Academia, so wear a jacket, vest, and tie every day for work. Pipe goes in the right jacket pocket, pouch of tobacco in the left, lighter goes in a vest pocket. I switch out to a new pipe the next day. Simple and straightforward.

PaulRVA

Lifer
May 29, 2023
“Tobacco Row “Richmond Virginia USA
In the field or garrison in the military in my left fatigue chest pocket was my pipe and a tobacco pouch in the right bottom fatigue pocket.
Civilian environments jacket pockets or in the field my bullet proof vest’s Center pocket held a full tin and pipe. Days spent in administrative or court functions both inner suit or sport coat pockets. Today being retired I use a canvas roll or combo pouch when out and about.
Around the house whatever works depending on the climate usually a pocket jar and a lighter at the ready.

The Clay King

(Formerly HalfDan)
Oct 2, 2018
Chesterfield, UK
www.youtube.com
Hi Dan, now you know that when you find a broken stem on a clay in a ploughed field, it was most likely done on purpose and not broken by a plough, hope to see you in Nottingham this year.
@tobakenist Hope to see you in Nottingham this year! I love the Canalhouse but not the rest of Nottingham; homeless & litter everywhere... I bought a homeless man in Nottingham a milkshake from McDonald's & gave him the cigarettes / cigars I got given at the pipe smoker's meet-up. Looking forward to the Battle of Nantwich this month; going to smoke a clay with the Sealed Knot:
Last year I had a memorable clay pipe smoke with one of the Sealed Knot re-enactors here:
The smoking shelter could have been built for the Sealed Knot re-enactors:)
Had a good warm-up by the pub fire after we'd smoked our pipes!

Jef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2019
North Carolina
I have a small 1 pipe pouch that carries everything. It fits in any pocket and is not bulky at all.

I saw an old Sherlock Holmes movie where a guy used a small knitting needle to pick clean his pipe and stem.

DesertDan

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2022
Tucson, AZ
The pipe smokers I encountered as a child carried their pipe in a shirt or jacket pocket and their tobacco pouch in a pants pocket. The pouch was almost invariably the one the tobacco was purchased in.
They would load the pipe with the "codger scoop" (as I guess we're calling it now) and lighted with a match, or lighter. Tamping was done with said match or finger or the occasional twig picked up if one was lying handily about.

I have an old Dopp kit I keep in my truck. I carry a couple of pipes, tobacco, cleaners, an extra lighter and box of matches in it. I always carry a Czech tool in my pocket.

Jan 7, 2024
A roll pouch ( sometimes a small tin ) and pipe in the shirt or overalls pocket. Pocket knife for tamping, stick matches or sometimes a book from the tavern. My dad had a zip pouch but it never quite fit anywhere so it stayed in the drawer. I do it the same way, except I carry a tamping tool, besides my pocket knife. I never travel far enough to need to pack more than one pipe and a roll up with an oz. or so.

Reactions: Derby and PaulRVA

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
This one would be ideal too
I had a very similar one as a kid, when I smoked everywhere I went. He had a watertight latex pocket for tobacco (kept it moist for a few days), a pocket for the pipe and one for accessories.

Very practical and compact.

Reactions: PaulRVA

Derby

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2020
A good friend of mine was a senior police detective and an avid pipe smoker. While waiting be called to testify he enjoyed a pipe in the witness waiting room. He was called sooner than he expected and dropped is pipe in his coat pocket ( you know where this is going ) and went into the courtroom, was sworn, and while seated in the witness chair was advised by the judge that it appeared his coat was on 🔥 The judge was a old timer and a goodguy. We all had a laugh.