PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
@sablebrush52 Hahaha on tight lips for blends you want to buy… but, you’re right. This forum is comparable to what a public forum for crack might be like. What? Who has some? How much? When can I get it? How’s it taste? Debating, don’t know, heard more coming might be better, damn I missed and need a fix, who’s got a hookup? Haha.

As far as the CRFwP. It’s good to me. I understand aging can change the tobacco for the better sometimes, but it’s also sold for consumption now. No one is guaranteed 15 years…hell, not even tomorrow. Beyond that, in its prime in 15 years means what? Smoothing out? What if you prefer a richer blend…would you be disappointed in a muted flavor you regret not having sooner? Could be worth the wait, dunno, I’ve got enough tins to last that long if I do, but hell if I’m not smoking one now after the nonsense associated with buying some. Hell, I’ll even do you a square. I’ll sell you one of my tins now for 50% off the futures prices since you can’t get anymore and someone will eventually sell them for $100, I could hold out until then, but why not cut you a deal for $50 now? Only kidding honestly, so kudos to those who have the patience to wait and ability to assume all risks associated with the wait. I just don’t understand if you know you’re aging X tins, why not add one to crack now? I hope you don’t think I’m being a giant D. I’ll honestly do you a square since you aren’t opening a tin and send you a small sample to have a bowl now. I think it’s probably worth it. PM me if you’d like to give it a shot. Happy to send some to you. Only requirement is you have to load that bowl and post about it on here. Fair?
All very valid points. Since these were last years crops they're more likely to ripen up over the next couple of years. Aging is a crap shoot. When I buy tins of something I smoke one out of the gate as it's what the blender considered ready for consumption. Depending on what I taste, I may decide to enjoy a tin now and then, or just put it away to revisit in a couple of years. I'm never been interested in blends requiring a decade of aging like some of the cellaring series that were being sold, which I considered a gimmick and a way to spare the producer the cost of properly aging a blend before releasing it. I just prefer the flavors or leaf that's got a few years between the farm and the shelf

I would be happy to sell you one of my tins of McClelland 40th Anniversary at the bargain price of $165 before it goes up to $350 over the next few years. It's the right thing to do.

I'm happy to accept your kind offer of a sample and will happily agree to post my experience of it.

JKoD

Part of the Furniture Now
May 9, 2021
IN
All very valid points. Since these were last years crops they're more likely to ripen up over the next couple of years. Aging is a crap shoot. When I buy tins of something I smoke one out of the gate as it's what the blender considered ready for consumption. Depending on what I taste, I may decide to enjoy a tin now and then, or just put it away to revisit in a couple of years. I'm never been interested in blends requiring a decade of aging like some of the cellaring series that were being sold, which I considered a gimmick and a way to spare the producer the cost of properly aging a blend before releasing it. I just prefer the flavors or leaf that's got a few years between the farm and the shelf

I would be happy to sell you one of my tins of McClelland 40th Anniversary at the bargain price of $165 before it goes up to $350 over the next few years. It's the right thing to do.

I'm happy to accept your kind offer of a sample and will happily agree to post my experience of it.
? the first part was for you, not the second paragraph as that was for OP. But, nice play.

I’ll pass on the McCelland. Never smoked any, and don’t intend to start seeking it. I don’t think any tobacco is worth it unless it makes me start crapping gold bricks.

Aged leafs make sense. There is a fermentation process with tobacco. Cigars age it longer than pipe in seemingly most cases. So, I do understand it - but, my problem I think is I like a richer tobacco. Mellowing out to me seems more muted. Not in every example, but many times. Also, some tobacco doesn’t age worth a crap…blenders many times make tobacco ready for consumption today with tobacco that is aged to create the profile the blender is aiming for - and I agree aging can simply be a marketing ploy, but not always. For example, Padron XXXX series age very well and eventually should (assuming correct conditions are met) wind up close to a 26 or 64 with correct # of years as all three lines use the same tobacco, just aged differently. And then, how much does aging as single leafs vs aging as a rolled cigar matter? I’m sure there are some pipe blends that also do well.

The one thing that seems very different to me for pipe tobacco vs cigar leaf is the casing and processing rather than whole leaf. Does it matter? I’m guessing casing might impact fermentation on some level. Topping surely does because it introduces a foreign chemical to the natural leaf. I don’t know why casing, regardless of amount, would be different. Not an expert, but something that does cross my mind. Maybe it ruins the process and maybe it enhances it ?‍♂️. Also, I’ve seen people compare loose vs plug vs cake and how it impacts flavor. Then there is anerobic vs aerobic fermentation and the combination of. So tons of variables to consider-and to me regardless of the tobacco it’s a roll of the dice. Eventually, it reaches a peak and for the process to work well it needs to be maintained at consistent temperatures and humidity. I don’t think most consumers have the scientific know how to maximize the fermentation process. Also, how someone’s tins are stored in various regions will impact the process simply because of temperature and humidity. Beyond that, each person is going to enjoy their spoils differently. Some aged tin might be a wad of garbage, but because they aged it that garbage flavor is adopted as gospel for well aged tobacco. What’s the baseline for when it’s right? Seems to be each individuals tastebuds. Consumptive products seem to follow this regardless. Like chewy vs crispy bacon. Light vs dark toast. Etc., etc., etc.

Sorry for the small novel - it’s generally a larger discussion, I think, than people consider when aging tobacco. I think it’s a misnomer to think you can buy a tin, chuck it in the closet and expect it to be a treasure in X years, although I’m sure it can work. I know my cigars are monitored, stored in a basement with the most even average temperatures year round I have available, humidity control, get periodic air circulation and I can see and smell the product. Pipe tobacco in tins - you can’t do either. Which, brings up another point. Why are people so concerned with keeping vacuum seal on pipe tobacco? Cigars aren’t vacuum sealed and age just fine. It’s interesting how we treat and view tobacco differently across product lines. Not a scientist, so I’m sure there is an explanation I’m not aware of.

At the end of the day - everyone spends their own coin on it, so they’re entitled to enjoy it however they want. Truly no right or wrong when it comes to tastes.

Time for a smoke.

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
I plan on aging my second tin 5+ years. But I'm glad to hear 2 had a good impact.
This one is quite smooth fresh and worthy of cracking a tin now. I was surprised at how smooth it is considering the age of the tobaccos.

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
Honestly, I’m not even tempted. I’ve got plenty of tins open already, the last thing I need to do is open another tin. I used to get crazy and try everything, had hundreds of “opened” tins and jars. These days I just pick a tin and stick with it until it’s time to move on to my next tin… well, it’s a bit more complicated than that as I have my staples too (Condor, St. Bruno, 1792 & Skiff). I have a drawer, I consider my “queue”. I am looking forward to opening up Cringle Flake 2020 soon… still haven’t tried it yet but I’m not picky, I can smoke through almost anything and I have a feeling I’m going to really like it. I have at least 100 tins in my queue before I will even get to CRF w/ Perique. All that being said, I do enjoy reading about what others think of it.
That’s understandable. Regarding the 2020 cringle, you are in for a real treat, it’s phenomenal!

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
I was sold on aging early on, but because I aged in quantity, most of what I aged I never smoked. Had I been able to keep smoking I would have addressed that, but unforeseen conditions in the future intervened. That's what the future does.

Say you put by 5 lbs. each of FVF and BB. How can you go wrong? But you don't take into account that at 55 5 years will make you 60 and 10 65. Maybe untrue for you but my body changed a lot between 55 and 65. Are you still going to be able to smoke at the advanced ages the way you smoke now? Probably not.

Reactions: hawky454

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
You are honestly the first I’ve heard praise the 2019 over the 2021. Do prefer the 2019? Wasn’t that a straight VA?
The 2020 cringleflake you mean? The 2021 hasn’t released yet. Yes the 2019 was a straight Virginia and the 2020 is a vaper. The 2020 is absolutely phenomenal and imo better than the 2019, even though they are different categories.

Reactions: hawky454

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The 2020 cringleflake you mean? The 2021 hasn’t released yet. Yes the 2019 was a straight Virginia and the 2020 is a vaper. The 2020 is absolutely phenomenal and imo better than the 2019, even though they are different categories.
Haha! Yup, I knew I was gonna mess these numbers up eventually.

Reactions: Val

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I was very vocal about my stance on aging tobaccos when I first joined this forum, I thought it was a bunch of bullshit. But…. I’m singing a different tune now, I’ve had many tobaccos that, to my personal preference, have aged wonderfully, even Lat blends, though I still prefer those relatively fresh… fresh meaning (5 - 10 years). I’ve had some disappointments and some have had little to no perceptible change and some completely mind blowing. Though, I still don’t cellar to age, aging is just the side effect of preparing for the future. I would much rather have a cellar than worry about future prices and availability of blends that I cherish.

Reactions: username

stbruno70

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2013
I just opened a tin of CRF w P and am already deeply regretting not ordering more than five tins. In addition to the sweet red VAs and the stewed figginess of the Perique, the mouth feel of the blend is extraordinarily full and rounded. The sensation on the tongue is reminiscent of carefully adding some cavendish to latakia to make a creamy texture. No harshness at all. Amazing stuff. Well done, C&D.

Reactions: strave19
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I was sold on aging early on, but because I aged in quantity, most of what I aged I never smoked. Had I been able to keep smoking I would have addressed that, but unforeseen conditions in the future intervened. That's what the future does.

Say you put by 5 lbs. each of FVF and BB. How can you go wrong? But you don't take into account that at 55 5 years will make you 60 and 10 65. Maybe untrue for you but my body changed a lot between 55 and 65. Are you still going to be able to smoke at the advanced ages the way you smoke now? Probably not.
You properly added a factor I haven't seen before in the cellaring discussions. Thank you.

It is a tiered "X-factor" that is hard to put in the calculus. Health and future consumption. This factor is valid and worth a look, but unlikely taken into consideration.

I'm pushing 40. Where I was in life at 30 was similar, but add in a mortgage and daughter. At 20, it's a different landscape.

I wish you well and am glad you still actively post despite not smoking.

Things change as people grow, it's a quilt of life that we sew.

Just know where you are trying to go and always remember where you have been. If you remove just one card from the deck, the house may fall as well.

Reactions: strave19

oldred

Might Stick Around
Dec 1, 2019
Hope there is a 2021 Cringle flake and really hope it more like the 2019 version which was truly great and, for me, opened the door to Red Virginias.
There will be a 2021 Cringle Flake. I've seen it with my own eyes!

Reactions: cohibajoe

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Just out of curiosity, what blends are you holding out for?
First one became available a few minutes agp. Watch City Cigar's Rougaroux, which was developed by their blender, Ernie Quintilliani, and Tobacco reviews legend JimInks. One of the very best Va/Pers to come out in recent years A very labor intensive and complex blend to make, it's released twice a year and sells out very fast. You might just catch some if you act now.

Last edited:
Reactions: JimInks