PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

DTXHobbit

Lurker
Oct 25, 2021
Texas
Gentleman-

The morning the Carolina Red Flake w/ Perique 2021 was released I picked up a couple of tins, one for immediate use and one for aging. I'm kicking myself now for not buying a bit more when I had the chance.

Last night I smoked the blend for the first time and man was I blown away. It was not so much a grassy Virginia blend, but as promised really had a stewed fruit character with a bit of spicy interesting flavors from the Perique. While it has a high sugar content, I smoked the blend pretty hard and never got a hint of tongue bite.

It was very flavorful and had a decent nicotine hit as well. Jeremy Reeves knocked this one out of the park.

Val

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 18, 2019
Good write up. I probably won’t get to mine for another 5 - 10 years. After listening to the podcast I had to get in on this release. This was my second purchase of pipe tobacco this year, I had to get in on some Sillem’s flakes during the sale. A lot of the tobaccos I got had been previously been very hard to get.
Since it was just tinned why not crack one and try a few bowls and then seal it up in a ball jar to age for 5 or 10? This way you get a sample of what it was like fresh and can compare it to the aged version down the road. This could be dangerous though, as you might just be tempted to smoke through the whole tin haha.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
Good (and expected news).

Im really looking forward to trying it, but I haven’t opened any of last year’s drop yet.

A couple of months ago I revisited a tin of 2019 CRF that I hadn’t smoked since smoking a few bowls upon delivery. In 2019 it had an inescapable harshness that overpowered everything else, so I put it away. 2 years later, though, it was fantastic. It had completely mellowed out. I’m using that experience as a guideline for my 2020 and 2021 CRFwP: At least 2 years of age before I crack one, and more if I have the willpower to wait even longer.

DTXHobbit

Lurker
Oct 25, 2021
Texas

Im really looking forward to trying it, but I haven’t opened any of last year’s drop yet.

A couple of months ago I revisited a tin of 2019 CRF that I hadn’t smoked since smoking a few bowls upon delivery. In 2019 it had an inescapable harshness that overpowered everything else, so I put it away. 2 years later, though, it was fantastic. It had completely mellowed out. I’m using that experience as a guideline for my 2020 and 2021 CRFwP: At least 2 years of age before I crack one, and more if I have the willpower to wait even longer.
I plan on aging my second tin 5+ years. But I'm glad to hear 2 had a good impact.

Reactions: krizzose

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay

I was expecting the same with the 2021, but I bought pretty deep so I wanted to try it fresh. It is a bit rough, but very subtly so. Definitely tastes older and is enjoyably smokable fresh, where the 2019 wasn't, IMO. I haven't revisited it yet, nor my 2020 stash, base on that experience. But after reading @jeremyreeves narrative and assessment of the blend and the sugar content, along with @jiminks review, I gave it a whirl. It's good. Real good. If age can turn something like McB Va#1 into a sublime experience after a decade or so, I can't Imagine what this will be like with a good bit of age.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Since it was just tinned why not crack one and try a few bowls and then seal it up in a ball jar to age for 5 or 10? This way you get a sample of what it was like fresh and can compare it to the aged version down the road. This could be dangerous though, as you might just be tempted to smoke through the whole tin haha.
Honestly, I’m not even tempted. I’ve got plenty of tins open already, the last thing I need to do is open another tin. I used to get crazy and try everything, had hundreds of “opened” tins and jars. These days I just pick a tin and stick with it until it’s time to move on to my next tin… well, it’s a bit more complicated than that as I have my staples too (Condor, St. Bruno, 1792 & Skiff). I have a drawer, I consider my “queue”. I am looking forward to opening up Cringle Flake 2020 soon… still haven’t tried it yet but I’m not picky, I can smoke through almost anything and I have a feeling I’m going to really like it. I have at least 100 tins in my queue before I will even get to CRF w/ Perique. All that being said, I do enjoy reading about what others think of it.

d4k23

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2018
Texas
I went ahead and opened one of mine as well, after seeing all the work that went into it the previous year. I was expecting a grassy Virginia with a bite and pepper, but it was smooth as butter and burned to nice ash. Stewed fruit is definitely what stood out to me as well. Great smoke and great blending!

DTXHobbit

Lurker
Oct 25, 2021
Texas
Glad to her that people like it. Give it a few years and it will likely be more integrated and richer.

I decided to skip it as there are blends coming down the pike that I will want to spend my nickels on.
Just out of curiosity, what blends are you holding out for?

Effortlessdepths

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2020
Micanopy, FL

This is exactly how I felt about this years batch, but I'm telling you, smoke some now, it's absolutely amazing. Zero harshness, and a certain youthfulness to the VA that is actually positive and appealing. You are missing out on waiting, pop one tin and smoke some now and age the rest - ita not harsh and doesn't need some age to smooth rough edges.

JKoD

May 9, 2021
IN
@sablebrush52 Hahaha on tight lips for blends you want to buy… but, you’re right. This forum is comparable to what a public forum for crack might be like. What? Who has some? How much? When can I get it? How’s it taste? Debating, don’t know, heard more coming might be better, damn I missed and need a fix, who’s got a hookup? Haha.

As far as the CRFwP. It’s good to me. I understand aging can change the tobacco for the better sometimes, but it’s also sold for consumption now. No one is guaranteed 15 years…hell, not even tomorrow. Beyond that, in its prime in 15 years means what? Smoothing out? What if you prefer a richer blend…would you be disappointed in a muted flavor you regret not having sooner? Could be worth the wait, dunno, I’ve got enough tins to last that long if I do, but hell if I’m not smoking one now after the nonsense associated with buying some. Hell, I’ll even do you a square. I’ll sell you one of my tins now for 50% off the futures prices since you can’t get anymore and someone will eventually sell them for $100, I could hold out until then, but why not cut you a deal for $50 now? Only kidding honestly, so kudos to those who have the patience to wait and ability to assume all risks associated with the wait. I just don’t understand if you know you’re aging X tins, why not add one to crack now? I hope you don’t think I’m being a giant D. I’ll honestly do you a square since you aren’t opening a tin and send you a small sample to have a bowl now. I think it’s probably worth it. PM me if you’d like to give it a shot. Happy to send some to you. Only requirement is you have to load that bowl and post about it on here. Fair?

Merton

Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Honestly, I’m not even tempted. I’ve got plenty of tins open already, the last thing I need to do is open another tin. I used to get crazy and try everything, had hundreds of “opened” tins and jars. These days I just pick a tin and stick with it until it’s time to move on to my next tin… well, it’s a bit more complicated than that as I have my staples too (Condor, St. Bruno, 1792 & Skiff). I have a drawer, I consider my “queue”. I am looking forward to opening up Cringle Flake 2020 soon… still haven’t tried it yet but I’m not picky, I can smoke through almost anything and I have a feeling I’m going to really like it. I have at least 100 tins in my queue before I will even get to CRF w/ Perique. All that being said, I do enjoy reading about what others think of it.
Hope there is a 2021 Cringle flake and really hope it more like the 2019 version which was truly great and, for me, opened the door to Red Virginias.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Hope there is a 2021 Cringle flake and really hope it more like the 2019 version which was truly great and, for me, opened the door to Red Virginias.
I’d get in on a 2021 release (keep it on the low down ;) - kidding, you know someone’s going to open a thread about it the second the official word gets out). I love the name of this one, the name alone makes me want to smoke it.

I missed the 2019 entirely… didn’t even know it was a thing until I came back here and saw people mentioning it in the WAYS thread.