PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Many choppers are made without shocks and with very simple drive trains and brakes. Honda, for whatever reason, decided a decade ago, to make a true chopper but with disk brakes and a drive shaft. But for all intensive purposes, the rake, the look of the seat and gas tank, and the V-Twin, all make the grade. Aftermarket companies sell fixtures to increase the rake even more, but, at some point that becomes unwieldy.
That's what got me. The rake is not so pronounced. My neighbor had a 48 panhead that was chopped out during the 60's. Flame job, suicide shift, ape hangers, fish tails that stuck up 2' above your head, the works. No front brake of course and kick start. Riding the thing was suicide on two wheels. I loved the nostalgia of it but I'd rather ride my old Vulcan 1500.

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
I'd try it if it came in a pouch.
$50 for a 12oz tin is no way to sample something so weird.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The more I think about it, this would be a great alternative to the current "user title ladder".

Lurker Square

Might Stick Around Makin' The Scene

Starting to Get Obsessed Almost Hip

Can't Leave Groovy

Part of The Furniture Now Part of The In-Crowd

Lifer Cool

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
If you think about it - hardly anyone has trouble smoking tobacco laced with Cherry. We even see peach, plum, and creme brûlée. Why does the word grape instill such fear? It is interesting. Hell, I've seen pumpkin beer for decades. That seems more unnatural.
The name and color scheme. The fake grape is a divisive flavoring and the label makes it seem like it’s a very fake grape.

My wife won’t even eat something if it’s purple because it reminds her of fake grape of our youth from gum to medicine to dental fluoride. Hell she won’t even pick up a packaging if it even reminds her of such a grape.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
The name and color scheme. The fake grape is a divisive flavoring and the label makes it seem like it’s a very fake grape.

My wife won’t even eat something if it’s purple because it reminds her of fake grape of our youth from gum to medicine to dental fluoride. Hell she won’t even pick up a packaging if it even reminds her of such a grape.
I think you are right. The canister does seem to shout Jelly.

• Love
Reactions: anotherbob

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I am going to jar the other tub - and maybe some of this one as well - and age it - I imagine the grape will diminish and head West to be with the Valor - but it won't be all forgotten.
Jarring is highly recommended. I keep my rotation jars and tubs in a drawer. Said drawer now smells like Hubba Bubba. I jarred the CBG as it was starting to ghost my study. My wife loves the tin note. She asked me how it translated to flavor. Best I could do to describe it to her is that it smells like grape bubble gum but tastes more like muscadine grapes.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Many thanks to @onepyrotec - I received a small sample of Captain Bob - a tobacco discussed as having grape flavorings.

I am smoking it now and can report a few things.

As I shared with @onepyrotec, Captain Bob, within a minute of smoking it, is more of a "real tobacco" meaning you can taste some of the .... tobacco. It isn't grape jelly like CBG and resembles more of a Concord Wine.

It is definitely grape... but much more subtlety.

I can see why he likes it. It is NOT an amusement park or circus tent tobacco or a fun house tobacco as CBG. CBG, while NOT like Sutliff Frost Mint - the most overpowering tobacco for pipes on the planet, is in that category of tobacco, in my opinion. CBG, sealed in the jar after opening it, can be used in the same way as a scented room candle. It just is grapey.

Frosty Mint, for any who have not tried it, should not be smoked any stronger than a 1:7 ratio with other blends. It is a way to create a mint flavor in a tobacco. It is simply too strong to be smoke by itself unless you want to know what a mouth "freeze" is.

I hope this simple review helps. Captain Bob does have a slight chemical after taste - definitely the topping. But less so than CBG. I am very curious as to what @Chasing Embers thinks of Captain Bob as it compares to CBG. The big question is, does this tobacco work as a substitute for CBG? I don't think so. Close... but the power simply is there for over the top grape - if that is what one is craving at the time. Now for a glass of Concord wine, I think so.

Last edited: