PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I love the blue, and understand it’s the present version of the old “navy cut” Capstan that Tolkien favored. Don’t quote me on this, but I recall reading jiminks’ review on tobaccoreviews where he compares the current version to much older tins and he gives the picture of some commonality between the new and the very old. Of course they won’t be exactly the same, but similar.

There is a particular grassy earthiness in Capstan Blue that reminds me of a combined smell of freshly cut hay and the smell before it rains that I just love.

skydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2017
I'm a big fan of the Blue. First few times I tried it I thought it was just a regular mild VA flake. But after really diving into it and smoking it regularly it became one of my favorites. There is a lot of nuanced flavors there once you really get familiar with Capstan.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I'm a big fan of the Blue. First few times I tried it I thought it was just a regular mild VA flake. But after really diving into it and smoking it regularly it became one of my favorites. There is a lot of nuanced flavors there once you really get familiar with Capstan.
Va seem to work that way. Kind of come of meh and boring. But as you get to know them wow they open up, reminds me of some of the best woman I've known now that I think about it.

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
I really enjoy the Blue, stashed quite a bit, but never tried the Gold. Might seek a tin at Pipestud.com if one pops up with a few years of age.

Reactions: dcon and JOHN72

Bluemonter

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 29, 2021
Capstan Gold smoker here.
One of my 'all day' smokes. A nicely balanced Virginia blend that doesn't get too sweet or bitey.

I have a tin of the Blue, which I'm going to switch to after reading this thread and being reminded of it... 'been a while since I smoked it, but I recall it being a bit spicier than the Gold.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I like both as well, though, it's a bit pricey (relatively speaking for US prices) for a VA flake, Neither one make it in my favorite category. I got in on the 2013 Gold RR that SPC let go for a good price, I may just prefer it to the blue but I haven't smoked the blue in a long time.

Buy some of both and try em out for yourself... may turn you into a best selling author!

pcfdave

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 10, 2021
Have a first date with the Blue this weekend. It's been on my list but I never got around to it. I will say that it's probably my favorite looking tin. Classic.
post a review of what you thought after this weekend! Also I thought a good VaPer and cheap was The Country Squire's Green Dragon. I found notes of citrus and hay while it has a nice super light sweetness to it too.