PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Talon

Might Stick Around
Nov 7, 2021
Ontario, Canada
I've almost finished my tin of Capstan Blue and I gotta say I love this tobacco. It's simple enough but has alot of flavors to enjoy. It's light and citrusy while having a bready or earthy fullness to it. It's a nice mild to medium nic hit and in my opinion it makes a great all day smoke. I have only been enjoying pipe smoking for a little over a year now so I haven't tried much others.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a tobacco that's similar to this or perhaps one that could fill the role that this has for the past while? I know there are more out there and I'd like to try some before settling on Capstan!

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Each blend is unique. But I would branch out within Straight Virginia flakes. There’s a lot of subtle diversity within the narrow boundaries of the category.

There are sweeter types of straight virginias, like Newminster 400 (a personal favourite), Mac Baren Virginia #1, and I’m sure a lot more.

You can go into the darker Virginias like Wessex Campaign Dark flake, SG Full Virginia Flake, or really any dark flake.

You can go for the brighter road, perhaps Peterson Flake, look for “golden“ in the name.

The field is really large, just even within Virginia flakes, and there’s a lot to explore.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Similar blends to the Capstan for me are the following:
Fribourg & Treyer Cut Virginia Plug.... a bitch to find
Peterson Flake( used to be the old Dunhill Flake) easy to find generally.
Samuel Gawith Best Brown flake... bitch to find but doable
Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake one of my all time favorites... a bitch to find.
Wessex Brown Virginia Flake...a bitch to find but doaable.

When I was hunting down my cellar in 2012-2013 there were no limits and tobacconsists were in awe when I would buy 10-15 pounds at a shot of Samuel Gawith bulk Flakes.
if you are going to hunt the good stuff you need to develop relationships with tobacconists in the low tax states and zero web presence. You also need a pocket full of cash. If he offers you ten pounds of Samuel Gawith St James Flake you take it. If he offers you tins of Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, you take everyone. It doesn't matter if you cannot afford this stuff, people will buy it from you and you can charge a premium for your hard work. People won't bitch as we have some deep pockets around here.

I once had a shop owner offer me 12 bags of Stonehaven at 35 a bag and 15 Penzance at the same price. I was all over the Stonehaven but I wasn't an English smoker so I called a buddy and he bought all the Penzance.

There are tobacconists out there that don't have a clue as to what the good stuff or how much it costs. I have over 42 pounds of just SG Best Brown, Full Virginia and St James flakes. I bought all of it in July 2012. I jarred it and haven't touched it since then. All I see is the tobacco getting darker and darker, and I am getting ads from hookers looking to trade me my tobacco gold. Ok I made up the hookers.....sue me. lol

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I've almost finished my tin of Capstan Blue and I gotta say I love this tobacco. It's simple enough but has alot of flavors to enjoy. It's light and citrusy while having a bready or earthy fullness to it. It's a nice mild to medium nic hit and in my opinion it makes a great all day smoke. I have only been enjoying pipe smoking for a little over a year now so I haven't tried much others.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a tobacco that's similar to this or perhaps one that could fill the role that this has for the past while? I know there are more out there and I'd like to try some before settling on Capstan!
try any straight VA cause they're all different but also sorta in that ballpark or at least hanging out in the parking lot of that ball park.

Terry Lennox

Can't Leave
Aug 11, 2021
Southern California
As others have said Wessex Campaign Dark Flake is in the zone but it is hard to find. If Peterson ever re-releases the Dunhill Dark Flake that would be a good match as well. If you want to try to approximate what Capstan Blue tastes like with age on it, open a tin, put it in a jar for a while and let some air in every once in a while to darken and ripen the leaf.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Aside from some already mentioned excellent choice,that are nearly impossible to find, try Newminster 400 which you can buy pretty cheap in bulk and is arguably the best Virginia Flake value Blend on the market. Aylesbury Classic Flake is similar to Capstan Blue but availability is off and on. Problem is, most Virginia Flake blends are a bit difficult to find most of the time. Astleys 44 is quite similar but near impossible to catch in stock.

lonepiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 27, 2017
Central Virginia
Capstan Blue was the first Virginia I smoked and I have to admit it was because I read it was Tolkien’s favorite. I liked it enough to try some others and I keep them around when I want a diversion from my usual Englishes. I recommend trying G.L. Pease Union Square. It can always be found in stock and is a few bucks cheaper than Capstan.

Reactions: JOHN72

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I love Capstan too, try F&T cut Virginia plug. Hard to find. It it pops up now and again. I’ve had better luck finding it than I have Wessex and Astley

Reactions: JOHN72

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
As others have said Wessex Campaign Dark Flake is in the zone but it is hard to find. If Peterson ever re-releases the Dunhill Dark Flake that would be a good match as well. If you want to try to approximate what Capstan Blue tastes like with age on it, open a tin, put it in a jar for a while and let some air in every once in a while to darken and ripen the leaf.
A piece of useless information,Peterson Dark Flake has been re- released in the UK.Its not on SP or Estervals.Not sure why we have been honoured.I have a unopened tin bought in 10/20 thought I would give it some time before I jar it .

Reactions: Terry Lennox

workman

Lifer
Jan 5, 2018
The Faroe Islands
I found it quite bland.
We're different then.
I remember one time when I was 14 or 15, I'd been to a movie with a friend. As we left the theatre we both said "Wow", and then at the same time said "That was cool!" and "That was shit!" - or something like that. I think that was the moment I realized we live in different worlds.
By the way the movie was Street Fighter with Jean-Claude Van Damme and I was the one who thought it was shit.

Es0teric

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2021
Downriver Area of Michigan
We're different then.
I remember one time when I was 14 or 15, I'd been to a movie with a friend. As we left the theatre we both said "Wow", and then at the same time said "That was cool!" and "That was shit!" - or something like that. I think that was the moment I realized we live in different worlds.
By the way the movie was Street Fighter with Jean-Claude Van Damme and I was the one who thought it was shit.
The Street Fighter movie was the shit back then.....now re-watch it and you'll realize its just "cool".