New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Sandblast

Might Stick Around
Now almost midnight on Sat, just before Christmas Eve .... sitting back with a small glass of Brandy (w/tiny splash of water) .... had loaded one of my Canadians, sent from British Columbia, with my first ever bowl of Capstan Blue .... courtesy of an interesting gent from my Pipe Club this past week .... and I've achieved what I've heard before referred to as "The Zone" .... love Virginias but have to say that this Capstan Blue is simply fantastic .... I'm doing everything right, at the moment, meaning just "sipping" it. WOW

rmpeeps

Lifer
Oct 17, 2017
San Antonio, TX
Now almost midnight on Sat, just before Christmas Eve .... sitting back with a small glass of Brandy (w/tiny splash of water) .... had loaded one of my Canadians, sent from British Columbia, with my first ever bowl of Capstan Blue .... courtesy of an interesting gent from my Pipe Club this past week .... and I've achieved what I've heard before referred to as "The Zone" .... love Virginias but have to say that this Capstan Blue is simply fantastic .... I'm doing everything right, at the moment, meaning just "sipping" it. WOW
Merry Christmas !!

Reactions: Elric and yanoJL
G

Gimlet

Charatan flake is a straight virginia and sounds very similar.
I have a tin awaiting sampling.

Reactions: Elric

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
Capstan is one of my favorite Virginia blends as well. But at now $20/50gr I'm not sure how much more of it I will buy. Maybe just a few tins on hand as a treat. I'm keeping an eye out for some of the alternatives like Fribourg and Wessex to try, but if they are a bit cheaper they are certainly harder to find in stock.

My go to daily alternative to Capstan is Newminster #400, in the ballpark for sure and always available and very reasonably priced. Newminster is also made by Mac Baren as is Capstan.

I also really like PS Luxury Navy Flake as well.

TheWhale13

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 12, 2021
Sweden
Vauen no. 14 is also very good. A sweet and basic virginia flake with a really nice topping of hazelnut and vanilla, which shows trough some time troughout the bowl. Mac Baren Virginia Flake is also very nice. Give it some time in a jar, and it is just waves of supremely sweet honey. Really wonderful.

Reactions: yanoJL
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Capstan is one of my favorite Virginia blends as well. But at now $20/50gr I'm not sure how much more of it I will buy. Maybe just a few tins on hand as a treat. I'm keeping an eye out for some of the alternatives like Fribourg and Wessex to try, but if they are a bit cheaper they are certainly harder to find in stock.
With all the stuff Mac Baren puts into 100g tins, it would be cool if they did the same for Capstan. I suppose that might dent its premium image, though.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I second the above. Both Capstans are very good straight VAs, but they're just not worth the dough. IMHO. Obviously not to the obscene extent that Esoterica blends aren't, but I'm not grading on a curve here--money talks, especially during a recession.

I can honestly say that Newminster 400, Sutliff 507-C VA Slices, and Peterson Flake (just to give a top three) are just as good, and a much better bang for your buck. Bucks which have lost something like 97% of their purchasing power in the last 110 years! So it's a factor worth serious consideration.

Edit: In the interest of full disclosure, I have tins of HH Pure VA, Vauen #14, and Mac Baren VA Flake in the cellar, but I have not tried them yet. I'm sure they will all be fantastic. Point being, there are lots of options out there and, judging from the consensus both on and off this thread, good ones.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Astley's 44 is occasionally available if you search for it. I wouldn't say it's the same but if you enjoy Capstan Blue you will enjoy the Astley's and really appreciate having both in your lineup.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
It's pricy, but DAMN GOOD! I think they run sales on it a few times a year, that's the time to strike, and load up a bit........... I don't smoke a lot of VA flakes, but IMHO Capstan Blue is a winner, worthy of the cellar........

HeavyLeadBelly

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 9, 2023
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Capstan Blue is good, but not $20/ tin good as the price has shot up to over past year or so. I get that prices increase but at the rate both Capstan and Three Nuns have has had me scratching my head as there’s many other blends out there that are just as good or better. If you’re okay with paying that much for Virginia flake then my man, you do you. I’ll enjoy other virginias.