PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

transpose

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 15, 2018
Something outside the box... Sillem’s Black. I just ran some websites and didn’t come across any in stock. Read the reviews and see if it’s something that appeals to you. If so, I have some cellared that I can send you.

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
As stated. Blue Note. It was all the rage for a while. It is so sweet it probably raises one's blood sugar! Yeah, I succumbed to peer pressure and bought a tin once.
Mike Stanley

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Not an aro smoker, but I'm pretty sure Russ Oulette has blended some winners in this category. Also, Scotty's?

After all, from what I've read, 85% of all blends sold are Aro's.

tenton

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 8, 2019
Smoked Aro's all of my life, mostly BCA and the like, but once I found straight Virginia's a year or so ago, the Aro's have all been thrown out, except for one which I've kept around because I like the pouch aroma. :)

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
French, eh?
I like HGL from Lane. It was blended for Herman G Lane and is a mix of sweet aromatic and Latakia. Wife approved.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Forums member sent me a sample of Molto Dolce. I certainly enjoyed trying it, and it lived up to its super-sweet reputation. I did finish off the sample! Mostly I like non-aromatics, or for a change of pace, tobacco forward aromatics.

buster

Lifer
Sep 1, 2011
I’ve followed my sweet tooth quite a bit. Sutlif maple street really hit the mark for me. Molto Bulce was so wet it was almost impossible to keep lit. 1Q. Mixed with MD 50/50 was tasty and that’s how I finished the tin. I also like Mac Baren vanilla cream flake quite a bit. It’s the only tobacco I have a pipe dedicated to.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I'm new to aromatics. I've been smoking Russ O's Match Hickory and Sillem's Blue.
The Hickory is available in bulk on P&C and is inexpensive. Burley and fruity.
The Sillem's is in stock in a few places, only in 100g tins and more expensive. An odd combination of limes, maple and caramel.
Neither is goopy and both respond well to a moderate cadence.
jay-roger.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
To me Molto Dolce and Creme Brulee are very similar. I don't think I could differentiate between the two in a blind taste test.
I don't smoke them often but when I do, I enjoy them.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Got a real sweet tooth and trying to substitute tobaccos for eating desserts going to be getting some Solani X Sweet Mystery and Cult Blood Red Sky and would like more suggestions thanks for any replies.
How did this work out? If I am smoking a pipe, I am not eating dessert, so there's that. But I don't see smoke as a substitute for sugar or chocolate.

nhhiggy

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
Working real good I haven’t had a sugar loaded dessert in close to a month but have tried some awesome tobaccos. My favs so far Blood Red Moon. City’s Own which is 1Q, RLP6, Kitsilano Cherry Blossom. In that order and I’ve dropped 15lbs.

May 9, 2018
Raleigh, NC
I don't see smoke as a substitute for sugar or chocolate.
It may be an odd sensation, but I swear I can be satisfied with a good bowl of something with sweetness to it after supper over a dessert if I don't have any.
This is a little late to the party, but Country Squire Old Toby is one of the best aromatics I have found. I bought 4 ounces and smoked through it in no time. It can be a little moist, but I swear, even right out of the bag, it smokes great. I got a real kick out of loading a bowl, lighting it and listening to the slight crackle of moisture as the flame hits some wetter tobacco in the bowl. I smoked it that wet several times and it went right to the bottom on minimum relights.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A generous member sent me a sample of Molto Dolce. I had always somewhat dreaded it, but took the challenge. It truly is a dessert. The tobacco is just a carrier for the sweets, but I enjoyed it as a sort of guilty pleasure. Mostly I'm a non-aro guy, or aromatics that are decidedly tobacco forward. I did pack the pipe but let it dry overnight, so I didn't get gurgles.

nhhiggy

Lurker
Jun 23, 2019
Molto Dolce, Solani X Sweet Mystery, and Sillem Black are my next tries, I’ve also got Boswell Raspberry Cream and Black Jack which I quite enjoy. Be interested in hearing any others also thinking about ordering some assorted Country Squire tobaccos.

gerryp

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 8, 2018
Arabi, LA
The sweetest ones I've tried are Rattray's summer blends, 2018 and 2014. I like both, but they are loaded with topping and I had to dry out the 2018,which was fresh. The 2014 was 5 years old and didn't need it.

I don't know how they compare to the ones mentioned above though.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
I’ll back Dan Tobacco’s Blue Note. It was the first aromatic that I found that I liked, still smoke it to this day, I just buy it by the pound and it ages great, top dressing doesn’t seem to fade and the base tobaccos are high quality. Really, it’s worth dedicating a pipe to.

Status
Not open for further replies.