Can You Ever Have Enough Pipes

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I will probably never have too many pipes. Going forward I will buy only TWO pipes a year. Assuming I will smoke for another 27-28 years. I would acquire another 55 pipes. Add them to my 45, I will finish with a nice round 100.

First year of my smoking I acquired 33 pipes

Second year of my smoking I acquired 11 pipes

In my third year I have acquired 1 out of the 2 planned for the year

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
I don't think your PAD is that bad, but I must ask.....What is your goal? Do you want quantity or quality? How often do you smoke your pipes? I have 155 pipes and at 74 yrs old I don't find the need to buy anymore pipes and that goes for tobacco also. If you want a good quality pipe then take some money out of each paycheck and put it back until lets say Christmas and then buy yourself a good pipe as a gift to yourself.

Reactions: OzPiper

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
After many years I finally evolved a set of criteria for my pipes. First are my regular smokers, these are all pipes that do not get too hot, have a good draft and are clinchers. Second are pipes that were gifts, usually from my wife or kids. Then lastly are the pipes that one of my girls likes as she as stated that she wants my pipes when I die. Based on that my personal rotation is in 40-50 range. Now the pipes that I have that are waiting to be restored so I can trade/sell them is in the 200-300 range. So as long as you have your own set of guidelines to work with, no such thing as too many pipes. :)

Reactions: mau1

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
I have found that some pipes that I removed from regular rotation have, in fact, been able to find their way back into rotation by restarting the break-in process. Patiently re-smoking them from the bottom up, I have been able to clean up the way the pipes taste, smoke, and handle heat. My pipes are old friends. I don't really want to add too many more. Too often as it is, I hear myself talking to them as if they are plants or animals.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
If I'm getting no alcohol or money in the deal then yes one can.
I thought better about adding that last comment. My dry humor is too often lost on moderators or taken too "literally" rather than figuratively as it was meant. And don't get me started on irony. Or the lack of humor that some people seem to find themselves lacking these days.

Reactions: FurCoat

uzzi101

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 18, 2019
California, USA
Acquiring Pipes are like eating potato chips.

You can’t have just 1

You think your done, then you go back for more

You feel full after awhile, but then grab another handful just because

You put the bag away and then 10 minutes later your thinking about grabbing a few more.

• Haha
Reactions: mau1 and OzPiper

mordy18

Can't Leave
Mar 12, 2019
Northern New Jersey
I lost the desire to buy more at roughly 20 pipes. As it is i have some that I dont smoke for months at a time. Just bought two artisan pipes to scratch that itch. I’ve been learning how pipes improve with use if taken care of properly. Now looking forward to turning my lightly smoked pipes into well broken in smoking machines.

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
A very nice man whom i enjoyed speaking with whenever possible was a great collector of pipes by a high end maker. He had multiple hundreds of expensive pipes, truly a world class collection. One time he told me that he ended up regretting the money he had spent and the time he had used in amassing his collection. He worried about burdening his wife with a collection about which she had no real notion of value. I never forgot that coversation and how sad he appeared to be. I have nowhere near that many pipes, but i am getting older and the lure of chasing shiny things has waned considerably. While, to the best of my knowledge, i am good health i have begun to wonder what will happen to my pipes when i am gone and who will be burdened with dealing with what is left. Sorry to be so solemn but there is a time and a season for everything

Reactions: dcon

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
While, to the best of my knowledge, i am good health i have begun to wonder what will happen to my pipes when i am gone and who will be burdened with dealing with what is left.
My wife has instructions to smoke what she wants and to throw out what she doesn't.

Reactions: Toast
Mar 1, 2014
Just this morning I was looking at my collection thinking that I only really need 3. One for lat/DFKY/occasional aro, one for VA/Vaper, and one for lakeland. And then of course a few cobs scattered around in places like tool box, truck, boat, etc.
You need six.
Flakes burn better in a narrow chamber, all three genres of tobacco you mention come in both Flake/Plug and Ribbon cut.

Mar 1, 2014
A very nice man whom i enjoyed speaking with whenever possible was a great collector of pipes by a high end maker. He had multiple hundreds of expensive pipes, truly a world class collection. One time he told me that he ended up regretting the money he had spent and the time he had used in amassing his collection. He worried about burdening his wife with a collection about which she had no real notion of value. I never forgot that coversation and how sad he appeared to be. I have nowhere near that many pipes, but i am getting older and the lure of chasing shiny things has waned considerably. While, to the best of my knowledge, i am good health i have begun to wonder what will happen to my pipes when i am gone and who will be burdened with dealing with what is left. Sorry to be so solemn but there is a time and a season for everything
Get to know a younger pipe collector and put him in your will.
Not all of your assets need to benefit next of kin if none of them would appreciate it.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I seem to find a way to cull the herd without throwing any out. I've donated some to active duty military via a Forums contact. I've twice traded in a group for store credit toward something (a pipe) I wanted. I've given a few to a friend. Likewise, I've been gifted by my wife, sister and friends including Forums members, gifts I would be unlikely to cull. I've ended up with about 94, and I enjoy having an at-home pipe shop where I enjoy "shopping" for the smoke of the day. All are intended for smoking in rotation, though some are smoked more than others. If I were an advance planner, I would have purchased about thirty pipes over the years, high end pipes. But in fact, some of my favorites are not high end, including a number of MM cobs and good low-end briars, good old U.S. brands. So I think I'm content.

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Buying pipes isn't rational. Also, we grow to love pipes the more we spend time with them. So between love and irrationality pipes see us coming. We seem to always buy more because we can't do otherwise.

My advice is to moderate when you can; and if you can't, seek absolution. Hint: stay away from the boards. They are great enablers.

• Haha
Reactions: OzPiper and Toast