PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

aggravatedfarmer

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
Last night I decided to start working on a stem for my bent pot. I bought the pipe for $10 knowing it had a tooth hole. I figured with some black super glue (which is not available at home depot) I could fix the hole. The pipe arrived with not just a tooth hole, but a crack on the saddle. Ok, I'll try to manage it and save it anyways. I gave the pipe an oxy bath over night took it out and let it dry. I went to scrape the grout with a pick. applying little pressure, but just enough to make the damn saddle snap off and fly off into unknown territory. Well with a little cussing and a little disappointment. I turned my view to working on my Brigham. Today I've been searching for a replacement stem, but I just cannot seem to find any bent blanks. So my question is do you buy a straight blank stem then bend it or is there a site that I haven't found with bents?
If you bend the stem, how do you go about it? using heat I assume, but in what degree and how.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Sorry about the trials and tribulations ... estate pipe repair can be a nightmare sometimes.
Steve does a wonderful job outlining various ways to bend vulcanite stems here: http://rebornpipes.com/2012/07/15/bending-vulcanite-stems/
Take a wander over and give that site a peruse..
-- Pat

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Download-File

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I just picked up an inexpensive tool that worked well. I did a write-up here:

http://rebornpipes.com/2015/11/05/new-tool-for-bending-a-stem/

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Thanks for the link bonehead! Nate I bet you couldn bend a stem, so don't try it on one of your favorites! Thank you Lordof the pipe for the additional backup on the warm water bend!

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I've heard a good way is to use very warm water. Heat the water up soak the stem in it a bit and carefully bend it with your hands.
Fine for acrylics,although hot water may not be hot enough. I wouldn't do that with a vulcanite stem. Hot

( boiling) water and vulcanite usually equate to instant oxidation.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
It's easy, I've only done it with vulcanite stems, as I like to use the heat method to get oxidation out when I'm cleaning a stem, so the stem will naturally straighten when it's hot. All it takes is a simple bend, hold it for a few seconds until it cools a bit and stays that way, and you're good to go. It's not even something you have to force, if it's hot enough you hardly need any pressure. Are you aware though that replacement stems usually won't fit into the shank? That's where the tricky part comes which I've never done as you have to fit it to the shank.

aggravatedfarmer

Sep 9, 2015
Ok, so I'm trying to figure out how to order the correct stem to replace the broken one. Does anyone have any recommendation on how to go about this?

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Ok, so I'm trying to figure out how to order the correct stem to replace the broken one. Does anyone have any recommendation on how to go about this?
First,measure the dimensions of your stem and then go here-- http://www.pipemakers.org/vulcanite01.html to find one that is close to the size and shape you need. The replacement stem needs to be a little wider and thicker than the original but close to the same length.

This place has pics and dimensions of the vulcanite stems they sell. Find one that is close( but larger) than the size of you stem and order two of them--shit happens and you just may break one- been there.

They have 4-5 pages of stems,when you get to the bottom of the page click "continue" to go to the next page.

When you get the stem the first thing you will probably notice is that the tenon is much to big. You'll have to turn it to fit your pipe-- a job that is best done with a tenon turning tool or a lathe. Secondly, the stem will be quite rough,may have lots of casting flash and have a large button and thick lip area. It will require sanding or filing to get it to the proper diameter/thickness and then more sanding and buffing to make it pretty. It can be a lot of work and with all the work that is needed ( inside as well as out) I prefer to just make a replacement stem rather than use a vulcanite blank-- but that's just me.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Fitting a tenon to a pipe is one of those things I wouldn't really attempt, as the replacement stem is around the 20$ mark, and I think most places only charge roughly 30$ for a new stem plus the fitting, so I wouldn't want to screw up the 20$ replacement stem trying to fit it without having any of the proper tools and not having done it before. Just my 2 cents. I have seen stems on ebay for under 10$, but then you still have to fit it. I can see if it's a dr. grabow or something being able to just order a replacement stem that will fit when you get it.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Once I'd realized that a bent pipe seemed to be easier on my teeth I went on a bender and bent about 6 stems. I'd watched a guy on a youtube video use a candle so that's what I did. I only broke one, and that's because I didn't wait long enough before I put 'too much pressure' on it as I attempted to achieve a gentle curve. This one was a square stem with a lot of material...
That thing broke like a piece of fudge. Someday I'll get it replaced somehow.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Fitting a tenon to a pipe is one of those things I wouldn't really attempt, as the replacement stem is around the 20$ mark, and I think most places only charge roughly 30$ for a new stem plus the fitting, so I wouldn't want to screw up the 20$ replacement stem trying to fit it without having any of the proper tools and not having done it before. Just my 2 cents. I have seen stems on ebay for under 10$, but then you still have to fit it. I can see if it's a dr. grabow or something being able to just order a replacement stem that will fit when you get it.
Molded vulcanite stem blanks are cheap. $2.00 to $4.00 each depending on style,size. PME usually lists the price for a dozen but she will sell you one or two or whatever you want. Just email (or call) her and tell her what style number you want and how many.

Status
Not open for further replies.