Can Internet Tobacco Orders Be Banned In A Spending Bill?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
If booze is still legal to be bought online then they should not be allowed to prevent pipes and cigars to be excluded. If I were an online dealer like SP, I would have a law suit and a stay of execution ready to go.
This and BlackWater to protect my business. ***Blackwater/ some type of former SEAL owned Protection Agency.

Reactions: diamondback

artvandelay007

Can't Leave
Apr 11, 2018
Wichita, KS
Actually that one has ended as the SEC just did a couple of politico's for insider trading recently!
This is almost definitely not true. To underscore the issue: members of Congress are immune from insider trading laws. There is no way that changed. You may have heard about some staffer or some other connected individuals caught up in something but not members of Congress caught under those laws.

saintpeter

Lifer
May 20, 2017
Do you have a link? I can’t find a story anywhere talking about how Congress members are no longer immune from insider trading laws.

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
It’s a quagmire. Thanks for the links. Formally, my Prime Minister isn’t supposed to do a lot of the things he’s done, and yet here we are. I’m glad to see that at least there’s an attempt at a fig leaf of protection.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
This is almost definitely not true. To underscore the issue: members of Congress are immune from insider trading laws. There is no way that changed. You may have heard about some staffer or some other connected individuals caught up in something but not members of Congress caught under those laws.
Here you go....

• Wow
Reactions: diamondback

geo4

Might Stick Around
Sep 19, 2019
And if that doesn't work, then there's always the de facto Order in Council, or whatever the equivalent of that is in your countries.

An executive order would be the closest United States equivalent, except that executive orders are made by the president acting alone, rather than by a council.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

It appears from the article that his legal troubles were the result of informing his son. My guess is had he used the info only for himself it would have been allowed.

But I would venture a further guess that it's not uncommon for family and friends of congress-critters to benefit from such info. The "rules" regarding this issue are probably intentionally convoluted to allow for selective enforcement.

He probably displeased his masters in some way.

I think it rates right up there with finding out that you and your siblings weren't delivered by stork.

Or that your mother's not a virgin.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@brian64 actually it was on the SEC website where they were trumpeting the fact that they had 'done' the fellow. I tend to agree with you that he had probably pissed off his masters in someway and was tossed under the bus to keep the rubes from asking too many questions about that government departments budget! People who work at the 'Commission' tend to be cut from the same sort of cloth as Beria.

Reactions: brian64
Status
Not open for further replies.