PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
I have had open tins of Grousemoor and Dorchester now for 3 weeks (in ziploc bags). I knew they would dry out...but I did this purposefully to lower moisture content.
Problem is...when I smoke them now...they are "skunky" and don't taste at all like when I first opened the can. I smoked the tobacco in different pipes, so I know it's not the pipe.
Was this a mistake? Should I assume that the ziploc is poor storage even for a few weeks...
Should I have dumped the tin in a jar and dry out only before each smoke?
Thanks for your collective help....

crpntr1

Lifer
Dec 18, 2011
Texas
Now you've got skunk weed!!!

Sorry couldn't resist. I've had it happen once with pa soft vanilla, figured it was cause of the casing or topping tho

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
Yes, your tobaccos will change (somewhat) once opened and dried out a little. Skunky? No. I've never had that. Ziploc bags are OK, but the general consensus is that Mason jars are better, and I'd agree with that. Not much help I know, but unfortunately (fortunately?) I've never experienced a "skunky" blend.
-Jason

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
The taste will vary with different moisture levels in my experience. Perhaps you should look into some rehydration methods with distilled/bottled water and see if you can rediscover some of the taste that you are missing...

(BTW, I always love the flavour of a new tin more than one that's been around for awhile)
I am sure that your tobacco is still fine. Also keep in mind that with an aromatic like Grousemoor, the casing is slowly going to mellow and fade anyway.
I don't have any idea what you may be referring to as skunkiness. In beer, skunkiness is a recognized phenomena that occurs when a beer is exposed to light and it literally results in a smell that's chemically similar to that of a skunk... I don't know what that word would mean when used regarding tobacco unless it had to do something with the vegetal pungency of weed.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I slip my open tins into zip-lock freezer bags in between smokes to slow the drying process. This works good with flake tobacco some of which I've had open for months. I detect a little change with aromatics but Virginia and English style seem to stay pretty consistent. So basically I agree with lordnoble.

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
I think the problem was that I had the tobacco in my car & briefcase, intermittently exposed to the 90+ degree heat & humidity. So a very inconsistent environment.
The tobacco tastes a little sour & pungent ...perhaps not truly "skunky" but overall not a pleasant smoking experience.
I'll just start with fresh tins and be more careful.
Thanks for the help....

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
I just want to say that I've had a tin of Grousemoor open for about a month and there is no discernible difference.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I think the problem was that I had the tobacco in my car & briefcase, intermittently exposed to the 90+ degree heat & humidity. So a very inconsistent environment.
There's your problem, I would think. Keep 'em at home, and take some with you each day in a ziplock bag.

sjpipesmoker

Lifer
Apr 17, 2011
I also keep some tobacco in my car, and some of the bags/jars will create condensation and become "different" than what they were...as Judd said that is your issue...I ended up throwing away the blends in my car they tasted real different, not "skunky" but very bland and/or tart and sour

clyde

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2012
Have to agree, tobacco fares better with room temperature and sealed to keep it moist. Ziploc bags work fine but not for cellaring for a extended period of time. It is entirely possible, as mentioned above, to hydrate it, seal it up for a bit and see if it comes around. Also agree it's a real treat to catch the aroma of a freshly opened tin, I always look forward to that even after many years of being a pipe smoker.

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
cracking open a new tin of Grousemoor is one of my favorite olfactory experiences....
It's right up there with the smell of fresh baked bread and new mown grass.....

will

Might Stick Around
Jul 8, 2012
The drastic temp changes probably is the culprit here.

I would jar it up and leave it alone a while and it may correct itself, or not, worth a shot though.

Any open tins of mine I do toss them in a ziplock bag to keep fresh and have gotten good results so far.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Pipe tobacco is not meant to be kept in a car that gets over 90 degrees. I keep my open tins in a large plastic tupperware that seals very well. They slowly lose moisture content and they are kept in my home in a cool dark place. Tobacco is very fickle and extreme environments are no good for it. I would slowly re-hydrate yours by placing it in a large bowl and a damp cloth on top( make sure the towel does not touch the tobacco), then store it in bail top jars for a while and it should return to form.

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
I've learned a lesson...and didn't lose too much money...only 2 tins worth.
I'm grateful for the advice, and glad to further my pipe smoking education....
I popped new tins today. Instant gratification...you know....

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
Did you throw it out already? Just try to rehydrate it, if not... You'd be surprised at how much it can bounce back at the proper moisture level.

steelman

Might Stick Around
Jun 17, 2012
didn't throw it out.....I will try to rehydrate as cigrmaster instructed. But I will give it ample time before I try it again. I just wanted an excuse to pop open a fresh tin of grousemoor. I love that first few whiffs......

nameshy

Lurker
Apr 20, 2010
What happens to tobacco that spends a few days in shipment by UPS or the post office during a long heat wave?

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I've thought about it and all I can do is hope that my tins aren't suffering from the shipping distance, but that's all I can do because there are no local alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.