Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was visiting Portland back in the 90’s for an art thing. And, there were these protesters trying to save the snowy owl, and I stopped to talk to this unshaven hippie chick... my buddy was like, “I can’t believe YOU’D give a shit about a damned owl,” and I just replied that of course I care about animals... one day, I’d love to eat a snowy owl.

I care about all animals. I like to eat them. puffy

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Crawdad, your having been stationed in Mogadishu, I think you've earned the right to enjoy a favorite Somali dish with camel meat. In your place, I might want to request the dish as take-out, to minimize the stress. Camels are interesting critters, a little testy, prone to spit. I'd avoid eating creatures that I've lived with as family -- dogs, cats, and maybe horses, though I haven't lived closely with them. No bats, pangolins, or primates, or big cats.

Reactions: JOHN72

rajangan

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 14, 2018
Edmonton, AB
I was visiting Portland back in the 90’s for an art thing. And, there were these protesters trying to save the snowy owl, and I stopped to talk to this unshaven hippie chick... my buddy was like, “I can’t believe YOU’D give a shit about a damned owl,” and I just replied that of course I care about animals... one day, I’d love to eat a snowy owl.

I care about all animals. I like to eat them. puffy
That's why I prefer mushroom hunting over bird watching. People seem to get all uppity when you eat them.

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore
I hate to think of how many dogs and cats are going to be eaten if/when the supply chain breaks down badly enough for a sufficient length of time.
There’s nothing about a cat that makes me want to eat it. Their spit, vomit, fur, just doesn’t make me hungry. Why, most of the time, I probably wouldn’t even want to eat a dog for that matter. puffy

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I baptized, married and buried lots of people during 30 years in ministry--and heard lots of stories along the way. One fellow who spend decades in middle eastern oil fields spoke of hearing a terrible noise one night and got up to see some local workers harvesting meat off the inner thigh of a camel which they they promptly prepared for a late meal. He told me refrigeration was unavailable and they had their meat, "on the hoof," this way. I've never been to a slaughter house, never heard a camel scream but I do recall some of the sounds of my Grandfather's dairy farm (i.e., de-horning, nose-ring insertion for young bulls, etc--made quite a scary impression on a little kid! But I DID love his aromas of Prince Albert, RYO tobacco from the little cloth bags, Swisher Sweets and most fun of all--the half stick of Juicy Fruit gum he split with me after the smokes!).
I'm kind of silly about what I eat I suppose--not consistent at all (i.e., I like pork but would never consider butchering a pig like Grandaddy did).

As for Crawdad -- Thank You Pipe Brother for your Service!

kindly
mike

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
There’s nothing about a cat that makes me want to eat it. Their spit, vomit, fur, just doesn’t make me hungry. Why, most of the time, I probably wouldn’t even want to eat a dog for that matter. puffy
Hey, you're the one who confessed to eating dog...and it wasn't even the apocalypse. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Not all meats are created equal.
My favorites are pilot whale and sheep. There are several ways to prepare them, so just naming the species doesn't tell much.
I'd definitely try camel. Why not?
Had whale once when I was a kid. That was before worldwide ban other then scientific research and some specific cultural reasons. Korea had whaling station on the east coast and I was on vacation with family. My mother asked if I want to try. That was one fine meat. Best meat I had as far as I can remember.

goldenmole

Can't Leave
Aug 4, 2019
Copenhagen DK
I remember a work related trip to Beijing where we (mostly as a joke) asked our local contact who was taking us out for dinner "are we perhaps eating cat?" She responded totally serious "oh noo, cat would be much more expensive". Never found out if she was pulling our leg. A lot of Chinese and Japanese colleagues I met over the years love to play with westerners stereotypes and take the piss!

Aug 1, 2012
I do like a bit of well prepared camel. It's taste is a bit too much like goat to be done on it's own in my experience but a well done dish based around it can be fantastic.

KafkaStoleMyBike

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 10, 2020
Dallas, TX
I remember a work related trip to Beijing where we (mostly as a joke) asked our local contact who was taking us out for dinner "are we perhaps eating cat?" She responded totally serious "oh noo, cat would be much more expensive". Never found out if she was pulling our leg. A lot of Chinese and Japanese colleagues I met over the years love to play with westerners stereotypes and take the piss!
This was absolutely the case for me: “what will he try” happened at least once a week. It began with simple dishes that may freak an American out, like chicken feet and pig tails, moving up to other animal tails and faces and organs and raw things I couldn’t identify, and ended up in the realm of odd fermented things and either young or very old... things.

To be honest, I think some of the more alarming meals I experienced were vegetable/starch dishes and broths. One meal in particular stands out, where it was some sort of soaked vegetable dish with mushrooms and unidentified seafood, all fermented for a very long in some sort other sort of animal. It tasted like rotting meat cooked in an old gym shoe, and I took a couple bites before my hosts smiled and laughed and took the dish away. I guess no one really ate that anymore, and they then served some amazing dumplings. I don’t know what was in those, but it remains one of the best meals I’ve ever eaten.

Aug 1, 2012
One of the more odd things I ate and survived (and gained the respect of the ones serving it for years to come) was raw, pickled pig fat. One of the families at the place I worked brought it and when I said I wanted to try it, they gave me an odd look and served me some. When I liked it, they were happy and for the next 4 years they saved me a plate at their table in the company event and at the international women's day dinner. I usually worked the first half and missed the good food but they always saved me some since I was willing to try literally anything.

Balut and century egg were the hardest though.

Aug 1, 2012
This was absolutely the case for me: “what will he try” happened at least once a week. It began with simple dishes that may freak an American out, like chicken feet and pig tails, moving up to other animal tails and faces and organs and raw things I couldn’t identify, and ended up in the realm of odd fermented things and either young or very old... things.

To be honest, I think some of the more alarming meals I experienced were vegetable/starch dishes and broths. One meal in particular stands out, where it was some sort of soaked vegetable dish with mushrooms and unidentified seafood, all fermented for a very long in some sort other sort of animal. It tasted like rotting meat cooked in an old gym shoe, and I took a couple bites before my hosts smiled and laughed and took the dish away. I guess no one really ate that anymore, and they then served some amazing dumplings. I don’t know what was in those, but it remains one of the best meals I’ve ever eaten.
I've experienced some of the "food dares" and honestly if you don't freak out and give it a go, you can earn some major respect from those doing the serving. One more example was live termites in Belize. The host stuck his hand in the mound and offered it to us. I went with it and it was actually pretty good. The meal later was better though. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.