PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Up here, rabbit/hare populations work in a seven year cycle

That's how it was in Aridzona, too.

In peak years blacktail jacks were as thick as bugs. The county and state highways were practically paved with squishees, and people would find them stuck in their car's grill when they stopped for gas.

Then, without warning, they disappeared over a couple weeks. The population dropped to 5% or so, and the cycle began again.

The fun part was the peak-year summers brought hungry critters down from the mountains and out of their dens like nothing else. Mountain lions, coyotes, hawks, and so forth.

Made for spectacular varmint hunting, too. Long range from the hillsides morning and evening when they were moving, and walking them up quail-style when it was hot and they were resting in shadows.

(Couldn't eat the things, though. Besides stringy and essentially meatless, they carried all manner of disease-y crap you didn't want to be exposed to by physical contact.)

Here's my buddy Dave eyeballing a spot we called The Gallery. (He was a Pan Am Games pistol champion and Olympic Team alternate)

Screen Shot 2024-06-12 at 4.06.11 PM.png

The view from where he is sitting:

(The denser line of vegetation is an arroyo 400 yards out. Made for convenient range estimation in pre-laser days)

Screen Shot 2024-06-12 at 4.05.34 PM.png

On the mechanized prowl for a fresh walk-up area:

Screen Shot 2024-06-12 at 4.03.09 PM.png

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
That's how it was in Aridzona, too.

In peak years blacktail jacks were as thick as bugs. The county and state highways were practically paved with squishees, and people would find them stuck in their car's grill when they stopped for gas.

Then, without warning, they disappeared over a couple weeks. The population dropped to 5% or so, and the cycle began again.

The fun part was the peak-year summers brought hungry critters down from the mountains and out of their dens like nothing else. Mountain lions, coyotes, hawks, and so forth.

Made for spectacular varmint hunting, too. Long range from the hillsides morning and evening when they were moving, and walking them up quail-style when it was hot and they were resting in shadows.

(Couldn't eat the things, though. Besides stringy and essentially meatless, they carried all manner of disease-y crap you didn't want to be exposed to by physical contact.)

Here's my buddy Dave eyeballing a spot we called The Gallery. (He was a Pan Am Games pistol champion and Olympic Team alternate)

View attachment 316874

The view from where he is sitting:

(The denser line of vegetation is an arroyo 400 yards out. Made for convenient range estimation in pre-laser days)

View attachment 316877

On the mechanized prowl for a fresh walk-up area:

View attachment 316878
Very cool, that’s one of my addictions as well. This is from a quest for Coues, not predators however.
Still fun in AZ, did you live here for a spell?1718275767731.jpeg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Very cool, that’s one of my addictions as well. This is from a quest for Coues, not predators however.
Still fun in AZ, did you live here for a spell?

From the mid 80's to the mid-2000's with a 5-year chunk out of the middle spent in Ohio (of all places).

Love me some AZ. :)

Speaking of deer, our favorite jack area was thick with muleys. In the middle of summer you could walk the wider arroyos and there'd be an entire herd staying cool in the overhang and vegetation shadows along the edge. Because desert critters are wired to limit exertion/movement when the sun's up and it's really hot (110F and up), you could go right up to them. Approach to within a few feet. Sounds risky, but if hot enough, they just reluctantly got to their feet and shuffled a couple hundred yards farther along the arroyo and laid down again.

Good times. :)

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
Here's another disadvantage of having a yard full of rabbits. They're crawling with these things, which inevitably find their way onto us while we do garden work. This one was on my leg during the morning commute. The wife found one on her the other day too.
1000020109.jpg

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Talking common garden bunnies here, not some exotic/rare species.

I was sitting on my porch enjoying the low humidity, 77 degree, faint-occasional-breeze weather with a cigar a few minutes ago, and watched two CGBs doing something I've never seen before.

Think bullfight inside a five foot circle. One in the center, always turning to face the "charger", then jumping straight up about a foot at the last split second so the charging rabbit went underneath him. Then they'd both spin to face each other and after 3-4 seconds they'd do it again. Rinse, repeat probably 20 times.

One target bunny, one charger. They never switched roles.

I figure it was either ritualized combat between to males, some sort of mating dance between two soon-to-be Lover Bunnies, or youngsters simply playing a game they made up.

Anyone know?

View attachment 316705
I got one to top that. Saw a baby bunny and little squirrel "fighting" like that and at one point the squirrel jumped at the bunny who tried to dodge and they both smacked into each others heads making a tiny little coconut sounds. The squirrel got spun ass over head a few times. And yeah they both kind of went back to their own corner to lick their wounds.
Animals are funny and territorial too.

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
In case anyone's interested, this turned out to be a real National Geographic moment. This little falcon pounced on an unsuspecting bunny that was lounging in the grass. I had the binoculars on hand and caught the whole thing ... the little paws trying to fight back against the talons. It was quite a show 👍.