PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Talking common garden bunnies here, not some exotic/rare species.

I was sitting on my porch enjoying the low humidity, 77 degree, faint-occasional-breeze weather with a cigar a few minutes ago, and watched two CGBs doing something I've never seen before.

Think bullfight inside a five foot circle. One in the center, always turning to face the "charger", then jumping straight up about a foot at the last split second so the charging rabbit went underneath him. Then they'd both spin to face each other and after 3-4 seconds they'd do it again. Rinse, repeat probably 20 times.

One target bunny, one charger. They never switched roles.

I figure it was either ritualized combat between to males, some sort of mating dance between two soon-to-be Lover Bunnies, or youngsters simply playing a game they made up.

Anyone know?

Screen Shot 2024-06-11 at 9.00.56 PM.png

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Yup, it looks to have been the rabbit equivalent of a fancy restaurant followed by parking under the stars in a nice convertible with the top down.

The video above shows the boinger jumping straight up the same as I saw. The one doing the charging was a lot sloppier, though. (My guy was randier? More determined? Always ran directly at her, in any event.)

Widdle bunnies in general bring to mind the old joke:

"How can you eat those precious creatures?!"

"Depends. Is that a rhetorical question, or are you looking for recipes?"

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Our local rabbits (desert cottontail) sometimes do this as well. I think it's just a game, perhaps to hone their coordination.

We also get lots of red-tailed hawks, per my reports in the WAYS thread. It's a fairly dynamic food chain out here...you wouldn't know it's only an hour and change from LA.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Probably practicing dodging skills. Seen rabbits avoiding hawks and foxes by jumping out of the way. It seems they don't expect rabbits and hares will jump out of the way. But cats seems to catch them easily jumping along with 'em.

Reactions: JOHN72 and romaso

greeneyes

Lifer
Jun 5, 2018
I wonder if rabbits have a reproductive system like squirrels do, which is a typical rodent "string of pearls" configuration. The little squirrel (and mouse) embryos stretch out the uterus into a long string of developing pup lumps. With rabbit mating season in full swing and lots of drive-by mating taking place (not to mention my garden being munched down to stubble), I reckon now is the time to check.

Reactions: JOHN72

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Up here, rabbit/hare populations work in a seven year cycle, dependent on forage. At the peak of of the curve the Lynx move into my area and spend the winter hunting. When the population won't support an adult pair with family they move a few miles. Rabbits/Snowshoes provide the bulk of their diet supplemented by cats, squirrels, and even voles. I find them to be fascinating photo subjects as they stalk pray.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
CGB were very common when I used to live out in the country. Reminds me of the song done by Tennessee Ernie Ford entitled "Shotgun Boogie":

"There it stands in the corner with the barrel so straight
I looked out the winder and over the gate
The big fat rabbits are jumpin' in the grass
Wait 'til they hear my old shotgun blast
Shotgun boogie, I done saw your track
Look out Mr. Rabbit when I cock my hammer back"