PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
We previously discussed this bill in this thread which is now closed for further comments.

I just learned from someone that was working in support of this bill l that the language was amended by the Health Committee to exclude premium cigars and pipe tobacco!!! The updated language has not been published yet but I will share it when it hits the leginfo site. The bill's next stop is Assembly Appropriations and then the Assembly Floor.

Still excluded by the bill language would be e-cigs, menthol cigarettes, and little cigars like Swisher Sweets.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
We previously discussed this bill in this thread which is now closed for further comments.

I just learned from someone that was working in support of this bill l that the language was amended by the Health Committee to exclude premium cigars and pipe tobacco!!! The updated language has not been published yet but I will share it when it hits the leginfo site. The bill's next stop is Assembly Appropriations and then the Assembly Floor.

Still excluded by the bill language would be e-cigs, menthol cigarettes, and little cigars like Swisher Sweets.
Well that’s good for you guys. ?

spicy_boiii

Aug 5, 2020
Bay Area, California
This is awesome news and I appreciate the update???

Gives me time to pick up some of the Gawith aros I've never tried.

I think ol Jerry Hill has been desperate to get some form of this bill passed after it lost steam in its previous iteration.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
The language of the bill has been updated and can be found here: SB 793

Here's the key points for pipe smokers in California:

Definition of pipe tobacco in the bill: “Loose leaf tobacco” consists of cut or shredded pipe tobacco, usually sold in pouches, excluding any tobacco product which, because of its appearance, type, packaging, or labeling, is suitable for use and likely to be offered to, or purchased by, consumers as tobacco for making cigarettes, including roll-your-own cigarettes.

What the bill restricts: (b) (1) A tobacco retailer, or any of the tobacco retailer’s agents or employees, shall not sell, offer for sale, or possess with the intent to sell or offer for sale, a flavored tobacco product or a tobacco product flavor enhancer.

Exemption for pipe tobacco and premium cigars:
(d) Subdivision (b) does not apply to sales of premium cigars sold in cigar lounges where products are purchased and consumed only on the premises.
(e) Subdivision (b) does not apply to loose leaf tobacco or premium cigars.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
California and New York both more or less serve as breeding grounds for new pieces of legislation that are later adopted by other states as well. In that regard, this is excellent news, and gives some indication that those in charge of such issues might be willing to carve out exceptions for pipe tobacco in these many new pieces of legislation.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
The high price tag they are putting on "premium" cigars is obnoxious. There are plenty of very good hand rolled cigars for around $7 or $8. That would be a much more realistic price point if they want to carve out a "premium" exception. Hell, $6 is probably the real point that cigars start becoming premium.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well now we know how much Grape White Owl's will cost in California. :ROFLMAO:

But hell yes on the flavored weed.. They make gummie bears and orange soda out of weed. Tons of flavors.
Gummie bears I knew about, but I'm thinking that a more apt comparison would be topping leaf with flavorings, and selling flavored leaf, and that I've never heard of.

In any event, comparing tobacco to mary jane is a specious argument, not to mention a false equivalency, since it's comparing apples to oranges. Besides, the era of legal boo is brand new. As the side effects of marijuana become better known, just as the side effects of tobacco have become better known, expect some regulatory tightening over marijuana usage as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.