108 Fresh Brulor Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
For what it's worth, I read the Chronicles of Narnia in release order and in chronological order. I prefer the release order.

Both Lewis and Tolkien have decent stories to tell, both to others and about themselves. Although, Tolkien is a little to verbose and slow for me.

The one thing I'd like to know is why I both authors (Tolkien for sure, but likely Lewis) didn't push the tenon flush into the mortise. Inquiring minds are interested should you know the answer.

Sam Gamgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
For what it's worth, I read the Chronicles of Narnia in release order and in chronological order. I prefer the release order.

Both Lewis and Tolkien have decent stories to tell, both to others and about themselves. Although, Tolkien is a little to verbose and slow for me.

The one thing I'd like to know is why I both authors (Tolkien for sure, but likely Lewis) didn't push the tenon flush into the mortise. Inquiring minds are interested should you know the answer.
If you consider Lewis and Tolkien “decent,” I’d be curious to know what you consider great literature.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I don't understand the question. I must have missed something. Can you be a bit more direct?
I haven't read Lewis so I couldn't answer for his part anyway.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I don't understand the question. I must have missed something. Can you be a bit more direct?
I haven't read Lewis so I couldn't answer for his part anyway.
Do an image search of Tolkien with a pipe. There is a photo of him outside with a hooded coat and smoking a pipe. The tenon is not pushed into the mortise all the way.

Several other photos (but not all) show the same thing, so it cannot likely be mishap; rather it is intentional or he enjoyed an off fitting stem.

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
While I would read Chronicles again, I have no desire to read LOTR for a second time.

I enjoy various "classics" and modern classics, such as Brave New World, 1984, Princess Bride, Slaughterhouse Five, and Lovecraftian horror.
I’ve read Brave New World once and 1984 a couple times. Oddly enough, Lewis and Aldous Huxley died on the same day.

Tolkien pretty much stuck to his genre but Lewis wrote about everything. I go to his Letters and Essays a lot and always benefit from his wisdom and insight.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Do an image search of Tolkien with a pipe. There is a photo of him outside with a hooded coat and smoking a pipe. The tenon is not pushed into the mortise all the way.

Several other photos (but not all) show the same thing, so it cannot likely be mishap; rather it is intentional or he enjoyed an off fitting stem.
Just an uninformed opinion : That's the same image over and over again. Its from the BBC documentary on him the approach of which never pleased him as they never understood the books. I suspect he cleaned his pipe in a hurry and it was absent minded. Or maybe he was nervous and smoking alot that day and the shank swelled. Great eye to catch that detail ! We always see him with a straight Billiard. But I would love to see whatever pipe is hidden in this picture ... sure looks like a bent stem to me :

1664968433069.png

Sam Gamgee

Sep 24, 2022
DFW, Texas
Lewis’s pipe looks pretty rough! I bet he never cleaned them, but probably got a new one when one got so clogged it wouldn’t smoke. It seems like brilliant people tend to have odd personalities about things like that. I’ve read stories about Chesterton and how he would forget things constantly throughout the day, his wife and secretary having to constantly help him get along with his duties and business. One famous story is of him wiring his wife from a train station: “At (so and so) station. Where ought I to be?”

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Lewis’s pipe looks pretty rough! I bet he never cleaned them, but probably got a new one when one got so clogged it wouldn’t smoke. It seems like brilliant people tend to have odd personalities about things like that. I’ve read stories about Chesterton and how he would forget things constantly throughout the day, his wife and secretary having to constantly help him get along with his duties and business. One famous story is of him wiring his wife from a train station: “At (so and so) station. Where ought I to be?”

Absent minded genius or too much beer ???

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA

I don't think it's the "odd personalities", we are just much, MUCH fussier about pipes than people used to be. Just joining this forum made me a lot more self-conscious about "lava" on the rim and oxidation on my stems. 😅