PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I ordered some new tobaccos to try and have enjoyed subsequent bowls of two so far. I’m quite enamored with Cornell and Diehl’s Winchester. The other is the Sutliff Match Ready Rub —Interesting chunky cut that one—I rubbed it out further.

The CD Winchester is a joy to smoke. Tasty, pure leaf. No harshness and it reminds me a bit of Pegasus without its burley. It sports no rough edge at all and a pure tobacco sweetness, full of rich creamy flavor. After the ounce is smoked and if I feel the same way, I may jar a pound or two. Its such a pure, clean and sweet smoke and dissipates easily as does Granger. Smoked today in a brand new pipe. I wanted to experience it alone.

The Match RR, while I can see how wildly popular it is, won’t be restocked after I finish this sample. For me, it’s a topping sweetness. Tasty, but in an artificial way I liken it to the new limited runs of Burley London Blend with its artificial cocoa topping. Smoked in a clean Peterson Aran.

The others in this order are CD Burley Flake #1 and CD Crooner. I enjoy Crooner and Burley Flake #2, so I figured a tin of Burley Flake #1 is in order.

Lastly, and I hope your sitting down for this… a tin of Cult Blood Red Moon. I have a friend who I feel may enjoy it — I told him we’d crack it together and if I don’t enjoy it, it’s all his. I’m going to gag on the cherry syrup but I’ll keep an open mind.

I’m a problem solver.

I also ordered a Chicken and an Egg from Amazon today — I’ll let you know.

RobNYC

Lifer
Dec 10, 2021
Queens, N.Y.
Thanks for this. I have a pound of Winchester coming this Saturday and it will be my first go as well. Your description has set my mind at ease. Sounds right up my alley, especially being that I also love Pegasus. What I am not at ease about, however, is which is going to come first from Amazon. Please do let us know!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Concerning the Match RR, I kind of consider Sir Walter Raleigh (the regular) to be like a 'light' version of it, partly just because of the similiar cut, but also something akin about the flavour profile...too long since I smoked either to recall specifically what it was in common.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Concerning the Match RR, I kind of consider Sir Walter Raleigh (the regular) to be like a 'light' version of it, partly just because of the similiar cut, but also something akin about the flavour profile...too long since I smoked either to recall specifically what it was in common.

Absolutely agree. SWR has a spiciness but the Match RR did remind me of SWR. I don’t hate SWR or the Match RR. These are great blends. Just a tad sweet.

I’m taking one for the team with Cult Choco Blood Red Cherry Cordial Aro. But I’m supporting the brethren and indulging an aro smoking friend. I’m also a bit curious as to the hype this blend receives.

f4phantomdriver

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 23, 2019
I got my love of Pegasus straight now. I smoke it as is and love it. I buy it by the pound, no more adding vanilla Cavendish to it. I bought four ounces of Winchester because of a friend who switched from Velvet to Winchester raved about it. I loved it from bowl one. Now my main smokes are Pegasus and Winchester. Weekends I delve into my Gawith Hoggarth and Samuel Gawith blends. My last SP order I ordered a full pound of Winchester and more Pegasus for my gallon mason jar. I was a loyal Prince Albert smoker. These C&D blends are really a game changer for me.

Jul 12, 2011
I have saveral C&D Favs all great tried/true smokes;

~ Night Train
~ Afternoon Delight
~ Billy Budd
~ Bow-legged Bear
~ Croooked Lane
~ Five O'Clock Shadow
~ Habana Daydream
~ Mad Fiddler Flake
~ Morning Drive
~ Seersucker

Reactions: Annaresti Red

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I liked it instantly myself. I’ve jarred cellared 6 pounds several years ago.

It’s great fresh. It’ll likely be better after the red Virginia ages.

Almost cigar-like at times yet quite naturally sweet. Like wine.

A real sleeper blend from C&D that I’m glad is finally getting some love.

You know, Pegasus was once such a blend. Jeremy Reeves thought so and look how it’s taken off in popularity.

I suppose it’s true that cream floats to the top.

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Absolutely agree. SWR has a spiciness but the Match RR did remind me of SWR. I don’t hate SWR or the Match RR. These are great blends. Just a tad sweet.

I’m taking one for the team with Cult Choco Blood Red Cherry Cordial Aro. But I’m supporting the brethren and indulging an aro smoking friend. I’m also a bit curious as to the hype this blend receives.
I have to say I really like BRM with a bit of added perique and/or dfk just a baby pinch of each to half BRM and I tell you as something to smoke outdoors in public there is none better.

Reactions: Grangerous