PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I had 10 tins of 2016 CRF, and none of them had mold. As I recall, there were a very few tins that supposedly had mold, and out of an abundance of caution all 2400 tins were recalled. Ph was one explanation.

Every manufacturer's tobacco has the potential for mold, and mold spores are literally everywhere. Mold usually takes hold during the curing of tobacco, not so much in the manufacturing of blends, as far as I know.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
A
I had 10 tins of 2016 CRF, and none of them had mold. As I recall, there were a very few tins that supposedly had mold, and out of an abundance of caution all 2400 tins were recalled. Ph was one explanation.

Every manufacturer's tobacco has the potential for mold, and mold spores are literally everywhere. Mold usually takes hold during the curing of tobacco, not so much in the manufacturing of blends, as far as I know.
Yes so not some tins grew mold mysteriously.

Reactions: Carol

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
People have mold in tins from any number of manufacturers. It happens.

Ever since the recall of 2016 CRF, people just assume that C&D had or still has major mold issues, which simply is not true. I've bought C&D products for over 20 years and never had a moldy tin.
Samuel Gawith has had mold issues, but between them and C&D, they account for the vast majority of moldy tobacco. Never had mold from McClelland. Never had mold from Germain's, thoough the occasional issue has been reported with them. Never had mold from K&K, just some lousy substitutions recently. Never had mold from Sutliff. Never had mold from Dan tobacco. Never had mold from MacBaren.

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
Could be a good idea to refrigerate tin for a while thus greatly reducing possible internal pressure before opening(?)

Reactions: JOHN72

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Could be a good idea to refrigerate tin for a while thus greatly reducing possible internal pressure before opening(?)
Probably not as the gas buildup in the tin was introduced after sealing. The worse thing that will happen is a loud pop and whoosh. It's not going to go off like a hand grenade, just a pop like a tube of biscuit dough.

giphy-11.gif

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Samuel Gawith has had mold issues, but between them and C&D, they account for the vast majority of moldy tobacco. Never had mold from McClelland. Never had mold from Germain's, thoough the occasional issue has been reported with them. Never had mold from K&K, just some lousy substitutions recently. Never had mold from Sutliff. Never had mold fro
Refrigerate resmigerate… Better be an old pro and buy yourself a blast proof box for opening these hazardous bulging tins.

256CBC2C-8595-4419-A564-B22DAAE075C1.jpeg

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
All 10 of my Bijou tins had mold. Several members here at the time also noted that the tobacco molded very quickly after being opened.
10 tins out of how many 1000’s they crank out in a day doesn’t equate to a major issue.

Then there’s the matter of how the product stored or handled once it’s in the hands of the individual.

If C&D had such an issue with mold as some people tend to make out, it’s a wonder they been able to remain in business.

And just about every case I’ve heard of C&D will replace a moldy tin if brought to their attention.

I would imagine that the presence of mold spores on tobacco is probably the same as traces of cocaine on paper banknotes. It’s a matter of storage conditions that determine whether the mold germinates and begins to grow.

• Haha
Reactions: JOHN72

drrock

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2011
Minnesota
I now realize that Cornell & Diehl tins tend to bulge after cellaring them for a few years. Does anyone have experienced them actually bursting?
Keep em like this or move them into mason jars, that is the question.
Some of their cellar series describes them to peak tween 10-15 years...

I haven't had one burst yet.
Closest I've come is a tin of Low Country Waccamaw from 2007 that I found hiding in my cellar in 2020.
BulgingLowCountryWaccamawTin1.jpeg
BulgingLowCountryWaccamawTin2.jpeg
When I opened it, there was a whoosh of beautifully fermented pipe tobacco. When I put flame to a bowlful it was fantastic!