PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I now realize that Cornell & Diehl tins tend to bulge after cellaring them for a few years. Does anyone have experienced them actually bursting?
Keep em like this or move them into mason jars, that is the question.
Some of their cellar series describes them to peak tween 10-15 years...
I've had one split along where the scoring for the pop top ran, several have rotted from the inside out. Puffing may be due to fermentation or to mold, You'll find out when you open them. I happen to like Haddo's Delight and keep none of it in their tins, as the tins rot out.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I've had one split along where the scoring for the pop top ran, several have rotted from the inside out. Puffing may be due to fermentation or to mold, You'll find out when you open them. I happen to like Haddo's Delight and keep none of it in their tins, as the tins rot out.
I have a Haddo’s Delight from 04 ish i forget which year the tin is to be honest but between 04 and 07 that was supper bulging, i popped it and didn’t like it at all lol the tobacco is fine and still very moist, i bombed a couple people with samples, i have the look for it while packing to move, shoot me your address and if i find it I’ll bag your up and it’s yours.

Last edited:

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Yes, I think I remember @pipestud writing in his blog about a consignment tin of McClelland’s bursting at his office.
Personally, I’ve handled many bulging tins but never experienced an explosion.
If I recall correctly, he dropped the tin on the floor. The crash caused the popping.

I now realize that Cornell & Diehl tins tend to bulge after cellaring them for a few years. Does anyone have experienced them actually bursting?
Keep em like this or move them into mason jars, that is the question.
Some of their cellar series describes them to peak tween 10-15 years...
Many of my C&D tins are bulging, some are even shaped like Weeble Wobbles these days...

iu

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I have hundreds of bulging C&D tins and have never had one burst or rot out from the inside. They are coated inside therefore should not rot, if they do it’s very rare and a faulty can.
That’s good to hear. The last thing I want to do as I build a cellar is to fill it with a bunch of stuff that’ll self-destruct before I get a chance to smoke it!

North of the Border Piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 12, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Thanks for all the responses. These are from 2018. I also seem to remember some talk about tins bulging. I had a tin of Bijou once, also expanding. At that time C&D had a mould issue with some tins of Bijou. I popped my tin to find out and as it turned out, it was mouldy and was exchanged w/o issues.
Worst part is that you can’t stack em...they’re like bobbleheads...

Reactions: Carol and JOHN72