PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I think the elderberry flower is what makes it, in my opinion. Kind of reminds me of the jasmine in HU Moroccan Bazaar. I’d hate for that to not be in there.
When first got my tins back in 2019, I couldn't differentiate the honey and elderflower. So I went out and bought a bottle of St. Germain's Elderflower Liquor. The Elderflower flavor had an edge over the honey in my opinion. With a couple weeks of age on it, the toppings were very noticeable. The Tequila, elderflower and honey had a unique sweetness with a finish that reminded me of grapefruit.

With two years of age, the toppings have muted somewhat, and "homogenized". This allows the Virginias and Orientals to come through more so than when it was fresh. But the combination of all these elements work really well together.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Did you ever try the Savinelli 140th? If so do you think the "flower" essence in that one was elderflower? I could be way off base here as I have no idea what elderflower is supposed to taste like.

I don't think so. I may be mistaken but I think it was some kind of Italian florets in the 140th responsible for the faint floral essence.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Just cracked a tin of 2019 - nice bulge and satisfying hiss when you fort lay break the seal, bringing with it a divine tin note! Have it drying and will smoke tonight.
I did the same last week and let it sit in the tin to breathe for a week. I popped the plastic lid once a day to let in a bit of air and then closed it again. Had the first bowl of that tin last night.

Definitely a satisfying blend for me. Not overwhelming but worthwhile subtle light notes. I'm use to stronger blends so this is a great summertime change of pace. I decided when it first came out to only smoke it during the summer months as a seasonal treat. Great stuff after some aging.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
What happened to Jeremy Reeves’ bees?

I liked the 2020, and I doubt my palate is sensitive enough to tell the difference between this honey and any other honey-adjacent sweetener they could use. The honey provenance stuff is really selling past the close for me. I’ll get a couple regardless.
I guess you haven't tried many honey varieties. Cause some really stand out from the others, though honestly a lot are totally indistinguishable. TThough if anyone can get me that fabled black honey that would be great.