PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
My post wasn't to bash C&D! I think they're doing great things to bring new people to the "hobby". I've also never received any other product from them with an issue. It may have well been my fault that it happened. This is a first for me though as like I said I also have thousands of dollars of tobacco in my cellar that I've never had mold up on me, jarred or in tins. I have heard on multiple occasions that C&D have had issues in the past with mold, as well as others here and on other social media sites stating they're seeing mold in steamworks and this batch of Anthology. I never intended to ask for a refund as it may have just been an isolated incident with this one tin. If I do happen to see recurrence in any of the rest of my tins (8), I'll bring it to their attention. My intentions were to see if others were experiencing the same problem.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
This is a review on tobacco reviews.c m

Galacticresidue
Jan 13, 2024MediumNone DetectedMedium to FullPleasant to Tolerable
Both tins I received had white mold growing in them upon opening. A third tin had none growing and I did smoke that. It was definitely very sweet and made from the best Virginias. Very nice aftertaste and gets sweeter as the bowl progresses. Definitely would have bought a dozen tins to cellar but I guarantee they will have mold once they are opened! Such a shame because it is such a great tobacco. Cornell and Diehl needs to figure this out and not let such choice tobacco’s get ruined from mold. Buyers beware. Those of you who didn’t see mold after popping a tin I’m willing to bet that it will grow in your sealed tins and possibly jars if you’re trying to age it. Smoking pipes made it right with me and is sending me Interlude as a replacement. Without mold 4 stars because of the mold issue 1 star.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
C&D talks about not using a bunch of additives in there tobacco. I’m sure this opens up the chance of mold. The fact they stand behind there product and the fact that they don’t use a lot of additives will keep me buying there products (and there good). People want less additives so the result may be a higher percentage of mold.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
Just mostly to publicly rip tiny American companies trying their best without even giving them a chance to make it right?

Got it.
Just mostly to publicly rip tiny American companies trying their best without even giving them a chance to make it right?

Got it.
Why don’t you read my other comments on this thread before you make asinine assumptions…

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
I don’t think he was. You already heard people explain that it happiness from time to time and yet you keep going on about it even posting a review from another site. What are you trying to accomplish ?
That it seems to not be an isolated incident. Sorry for offending the Karens of this forum… Now I remember why I don’t get on here much anymore.

Jbrewer2002

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2023
Somerset Ohio
That it seems to not be an isolated incident. Sorry for offending the Karens of this forum… Now I remember why I don’t get on here much anymore.
It’s not people being Karen’s. It’s that you posted and got your answer. People confirmed that it happens from time to time and you keep it going. You should visit more often and post not only when something’s wrong. It’s a great forum full of great people.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
There's a rule about this shit, and now you know why.
Don't go about trying to denigrate forum members, just because you can't follow a few simple rules.
If you feel the need to leave, please do so quietly. Threatening to do so will only increase the berating.

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Willamette Valley of Oregon
I'm a big fan of Cornell and Dietz, finally an American company that does Virginia tobaccos properly! I believe they help fill the void left when McClelland went out of business. As has been pointed out, sometimes tobacco does mold. It is an organic product and is subject to the whims of nature. As I recall from managing three smoke shops in the 1980s and '90s, mold was even more common with premium cigars than in pipe tobacco.
I stopped smoking my pipes around 2001 when Capstan was no longer available in the US. When I started smoking again, last year, I was delighted to find that C&D was making some excellent Virginia flakes. I have no doubt that they are a reputable company and will stand behind their products. I left a voicemail at their office late this afternoon, probably after they had closed. From what has been posted here, I see they have a great reputation for customer satisfaction. I am confident they will address the issue.

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
C&D talks about not using a bunch of additives in there tobacco. I’m sure this opens up the chance of mold. The fact they stand behind there product and the fact that they don’t use a lot of additives will keep me buying there products (and there good). People want less additives so the result may be a higher percentage of mold.
I am 1,000 % ok with this. A small price to pay for what tastes like the least adulterated tobacco.
I have thrown out quite a few moldy cigars over the years and consider it part of the hobby.

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
As I posted yesterday, I called Landis Distribution Group and left a voicemail regarding the mold I found when I opened a tin of C&D Anthology 2023. I left the voicemail after business hours on the East Coast. This morning, I received a phone call from a very pleasant lady at LDG, apologizing profusely that I had received a tin of tobacco with mold in it.
She was very professional and very courteous. She emailed me a shipping label so I can return the tin of tobacco to them without paying for the shipping. She also sent me a link to a site allowing me to choose any 2 oz tin of their tobacco as a replacement of moldy tin.

I received her call about 8:30 a.m. Pacific time and by 8:40 a.m. I had an email with a link where I could choose my replacement tobacco. Before 10:30, I had an email with the prepaid shipping label to return the tin of Anthology. I am very pleased with the outstanding customer service I received! I can't say enough good things about the professional and congenial manner in which the whole matter was handled. I am now a bigger fan of C&D than I was before! Kudos to Landis for their fast customer service and to the lady who handled my call. They definitely know how to turn lemons into lemonade!

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
Would it be possible to compare this with another consumer product that has had this much mold from one company??

I dont unserstand the defense of something that can be a serious health concern. What am I missing here?

Reactions: isaac

Steddy

Lifer
Sep 18, 2021
Western North Carolina
Would it be possible to compare this with another consumer product that has had this much mold from one company??

I dont unserstand the defense of something that can be a serious health concern. What am I missing here?
Tobacco with a bunch of stuff added to it and less chance of mold. But it tastes like tobacco with a bunch of stuff added to it.

Tobacco without a bunch of stuff added to it and a slightly higher chance of mold. But it tastes like real unadulterated tobacco.

I know this is an over simplification but it’s one of the reasons I really like C&D. The risk-reward is heavily skewed to reward.

As far as ”this much mold from one company”, how many moldy tins are you talking about? Out of how many produced? What are your odds of getting a moldy tin?

As far as “serious health concern” goes, I’m guessing smoking tobacco is the health concern to be concerned about. Not smoking moldy tobacco. Who is getting sick from smoking moldy tobacco? Anybody?

orvet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 1, 2023
Tobacco with a bunch of stuff added to it and less chance of mold. But it tastes like tobacco with a bunch of stuff added to it.

Tobacco without a bunch of stuff added to it and a slightly higher chance of mold. But it tastes like real unadulterated tobacco.

I know this is an over simplification but it’s one of the reasons I really like C&D. The risk-reward is heavily skewed to reward.

As far as ”this much mold from one company”, how many moldy tins are you talking about? Out of how many produced? What are your odds of getting a moldy tin?

As far as “serious health concern” goes, I’m guessing smoking tobacco is the health concern to be concerned about. Not smoking moldy tobacco. Who is getting sick from smoking moldy tobacco? Anybody?

Well said! 👍

Status
Not open for further replies.