PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Drop in the bucket compared to a few who, for reasons known only to their psychiatrists, have hoards that hover at a ton.
I don't have an issue with the collecting of this much like some others I've seen, my only concern is that when eventually they pass away the executors or spouse might not see or want to admit the value that the tobacco may have and it will just end up in a landfill somewhere instead of sold and enjoyed as was intended.

Snow Hill

Can't Leave
Apr 23, 2015
USA
Will it be tinned or bagged?

003-029-0059.jpg

16oz GLP example

003-016-0150.jpg

16oz C&D example

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I don't have an issue with the collecting of this much like some others I've seen, my only concern is that when eventually they pass away the executors or spouse might not see or want to admit the value that the tobacco may have and it will just end up in a landfill somewhere instead of sold and enjoyed as was intended.
I've left instructions in my Will regarding the pipe and tobacco holdings in the hope of denying the landfill its due. At some level, all of this is speculation. It would not surprise me if in a generation or two, almost all of this will have been consigned to the dustbin of history.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I think in the back of my mind I'm always waiting for the "perfect" time to open one of these but it never seems to come just like you say. I did open a tin of MB Navy Flake that I bought from another member that was 11 years old as soon as I got it and it was incredible, so maybe once these things have been aged a decade I will get less stuck-up about it. Probably not! I need to channel your energy and actually start enjoying some of these things someday!
Know exactly what you mean, my most precious tobacco are two 100g tins of HH Acadian Perique, perhaps the only tobacco to satisfy me 100%, or so I think since i last smoked Acadian Perique 3 years ago. They have 3 years of age on them. Now i am reluctant to open even one of them because a) what if the past experience is not matched (probably it won’t be since I’ve had a good 40-50 blends since then), b) I know it is extinct so getting more would be an increasing hassle and annoyance.

But what’s the point of never opening them? I may get hit by a bus tomorrow, or slip in the shower later tonight and crack my head, or, or, or. And what is a “perfect” time? Which pipe? Where? When? And are they getting better or worse with age?
There are no answers, so I’ve set an arbitrary day for opening one of them. Part of my autism means i occasionally pull these tins out and look at them, and feel a burden to ONE DAY open one :) I guess a head doctor would laugh reading this.

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
I might take a pass on this, due to the massive tin anxiety that I get on these small batches. I have been in for 6-10 tins on each of the last 2 Sunbears, the limited GLP Cumberland, the Savinelli 145, the MB Navy Plug, the last 2 Carolina Red Flakes and the last 2 CRFWPs. I have not yet mustered up the courage to open any of them, though I was able to sample the first CRFWP as I gave a tin to a friend for his birthday a year ago. I recently met up with a member here to purchase a tin of Frog Morton's Cellar and I'm realizing now that I may never get the cajones up to actually open and smoke it. I think the rarity factor is actually having the opposite of the intended effect on me, though I suppose it doesn't matter much to the vendor as long as they get paid - might be a trend worth considering long-term if others are like me though.
Quite relatable, and (as mentioned here and elsewhere) I have a relatively small cellar after a relatively short number of years being a regular, serious pipesmoker.

I managed to snag a few tins of Frog Morton before McClelland closed up shop and I still haven't opened them because when I do ... that'll be it. Fortunately, these should age well and maybe I'll get to one of them in the next year or two.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Just got word that the proprietor of my local B&M is efforting to get at least ONE 1lb brick.
You'd think a metropolitan shop that's been around almost 80 years could land a bit without too much clamor.

Reactions: Ebarber and BROBS