PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I tried C&D Kadath for the first time this evening. It was quite an enjoyable experience. Random observations:
  • The initial tin note hit me in the face like a hammer - a hammer made of plums and prunes, maybe some raisin, along with an unidentifiable (to me) liquor. Perhaps cognac or a spiced rum.
  • I packed it using the Frank Method. (Gotcha - just kidding.)
  • This is a slow burning tobacco.
  • This tobacco was the first pipe tobacco to give me a noticable nicotine buzz. I expected some strength after reading some reviews first, and I packed less than a full bowl in anticipation. The buzz was good and not sickening, and it died down after the first third of the bowl. Maybe in my excitement, I was puffing too fast at first. Other tobaccos that register as “Medium” strength on tobaccoreviews.com did not affect me like this.
  • The taste changed from a fruity-spicy taste in the first half, to a more woodsy-spicey half in the second half. Perhaps my slower cadence played a role here. That's the extent of my skill in identifying tastes at this point, but I was pleased with myself in noticing the change.
  • Pairs well with Dr. Pepper, which itself has a fruity taste. (One of the “secret” ingredients has long been rumored to be prune juice. But honestly, what doesn’t pair well with Dr. Pepper? 10-2-4)
  • I need to learn what exactly “Katerini” is.
  • This was my first time packing a kake. I’m not sure I “shredded” it enough. There were some larger unburned pieces left in the bowl. And these pieces were oily to the touch. Maybe I should let it dry more?
  • I smoked this in a Bari Senior, which has a narrow, conical, deep bowl. I look forward to trying this in a wider bowl, like a pot.
  • My garage certainly smells wonderful now.
Overall, quite an enjoyable experience. I see myself smoking more of this soon and learning more about smoking complex and odd tobacco like this. I aspire to learn to better identify specific tastes, and this has plenty. I'd appreciate any comments or critiques about technique on smoking this one or kakes in general.

Fooberticus

Might Stick Around
Dec 14, 2019
I hope you like it. I’m glad I bought it.

Just got back inside from my first smoke of this blend. I definitely wish I had cracked this one open a couple of months earlier. The musty, woody notes reminded me of camping in the forest at the peak of fall. A deep, subtle, flavorful blend that yielded some hints of dark bittersweet chocolate, decomposing wood (in a good way), occasional hints of bread and hay. A good deal of spice and plum from the perique. At times I got the overall impression of smoking a strong cigar. Looking forward to smoking more of it.

Reactions: Bowie

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Well done! Keep forgetting to add this one to an order. It sounds excellent.

If it's a C&D crumble kake i usually just pinch off a chunk and rub out to let it dry. For a plug i use a cigar cutter to shave off thin slices which i rub and let sit to dry. Every few minutes, I'll rub it again, and by the time it's dry i usually have a pile of debris that's made up of fine little bits of tobacco that smokes easily.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
I've mostly rubbed cakes out to a loose mess.

However, recently, I've been experimenting with breaking off a chunk and lightly forming it to the shape of the chamber and just dropping it in.

I've been doing it mainly with the LJ Peretti Thanksgiving Day Blend and the Black Frigate. With a little care in lighting and light tamping, it is providing some nice smokes. The LJP is near perfect in moisture and the BF has to air for a few minutes first.

Play around with it to get different results.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I enjoyed a sample of this sent to me by a Forums member. I found it interesting if not exactly complex, and even burning. I might order it if I weren't so stocked with blends relative to my rate of use. Right now I am infatuated with a sample of Briar Works Country Lawyer which has this sunny flavor full of vitality.

Upon the opening of the tin of Dreams of Kadath, a Lovecraftian tobacco, I am forced into speech because of reviews that refuse to heed my advice. It is altogether against my will that I tell my reasons for opposing this abomination contemplated and blended upon the writings of a madman. And, I am also reluctant because my warnings may be in vain. Doubt the real facts, as I must reveal them, is inevitable; yet if I suppress what will seem extravagant and incredible there will be nothing left. The hitherto withheld opinions, both ordinary and mundane, will counter my favour; for they are damnably vivid and graphic. Still, they will be doubted because of the great lengths to which clever fakery can be carried. The words I type, will be jeered at as obvious impostures; notwithstanding a strangeness of technique which pipesmokers ought to remark and puzzle over.

Damn the light! Damn the light! Light be damned thee!!!

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Upon the opening of the tin of Dreams of Kadath, a Lovecraftian tobacco, I am forced into speech because of reviews that refuse to heed my advice. It is altogether against my will that I tell my reasons for opposing this abomination contemplated and blended upon the writings of a madman. And, I am also reluctant because my warnings may be in vain. Doubt the real facts, as I must reveal them, is inevitable; yet if I suppress what will seem extravagant and incredible there will be nothing left. The hitherto withheld opinions, both ordinary and mundane, will counter my favour; for they are damnably vivid and graphic. Still, they will be doubted because of the great lengths to which clever fakery can be carried. The words I type, will be jeered at as obvious impostures; notwithstanding a strangeness of technique which pipesmokers ought to remark and puzzle over.

It is rumored that those who dare gaze into the face of Cthulhu and live are never again of sound mind.

?

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota

This response made my entire review worth writing. Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.