New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to learn what exactly “Katerini” is.
I've actually had some of this to smoke by itself. It is a small leaf Turkish tobacco that has a fragrance very similar to a floral men's cologne... think 1980's Drakkar. It's not exactly like Drakkar, just sorta maybe, definately not as strong. The fragrance comes from chlorides in the leaf that are hard to push off. Whereas Basma is light and delicate in flavor, Katerini is more fragrant, but without overpowering the rest of a blend.

You know those perennial tobacco flowers people will set out around their mailboxes, short tobacco plants with lots of flowers and very fragrant, Katerini is similar to those.

Bowie

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
I've actually had some of this to smoke by itself. It is a small leaf Turkish tobacco that has a fragrance very similar to a floral men's cologne... think 1980's Drakkar. It's not exactly like Drakkar, just sorta maybe, definately not as strong. The fragrance comes from chlorides in the leaf that are hard to push off. Whereas Basma is light and delicate in flavor, Katerini is more fragrant, but without overpowering the rest of a blend.

You know those perennial tobacco flowers people will set out around their mailboxes, short tobacco plants with lots of flowers and very fragrant, Katerini is similar to those.
Good info, thanks Cosmic. I'll try to notice the Katerini more next time I smoke DoK.

And I definitely recall Drakkar. It was up there with Polo, Aramis, and Pierre Cardin.

Reactions: diamondback
And I definitely recall Drakkar. It was up there with Polo, Aramis, and Pierre Cardin.
And, I am just going on my memory of Drakkar, from what is it now... 30 years ago. So, don't hold me to that one specific cologne. I just remember smoking it and thinking that I wouldn't mind rubbing this one me all over. The wife might even like me. puffy

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Upon the opening of the tin of Dreams of Kadath, a Lovecraftian tobacco, I am forced into speech because of reviews that refuse to heed my advice. It is altogether against my will that I tell my reasons for opposing this abomination contemplated and blended upon the writings of a madman. And, I am also reluctant because my warnings may be in vain. Doubt the real facts, as I must reveal them, is inevitable; yet if I suppress what will seem extravagant and incredible there will be nothing left. The hitherto withheld opinions, both ordinary and mundane, will counter my favour; for they are damnably vivid and graphic. Still, they will be doubted because of the great lengths to which clever fakery can be carried. The words I type, will be jeered at as obvious impostures; notwithstanding a strangeness of technique which pipesmokers ought to remark and puzzle over.

Damn the light! Damn the light! Light be damned thee!!!
Huh? :)

Have you ever read any of Lovecraft's work? Even for his day, it was in an antiquated English style. The reason that his work still lives on is from fans writing in his style, which is hard to follow linguistically. It was a review in Lovecratian style. Many pipesmokers follow the Cthulhu (Kathulu) saga, because pipesmoking is mentioned a lot and Lovecraft himself was a famous pipesmoker. Thus, the C&D series of tobacco. But, a joke looses it's magic when you explain it, so... puffy

diamondback

Lifer
Feb 22, 2019
Rockvale, TN
Have you ever read any of Lovecraft's work? Even for his day, it was in an antiquated English style. The reason that his work still lives on is from fans writing in his style, which is hard to follow linguistically. It was a review in Lovecratian style. Many pipesmokers follow the Cthulhu (Kathulu) saga, because pipesmoking is mentioned a lot and Lovecraft himself was a famous pipesmoker. Thus, the C&D series of tobacco. But, a joke looses it's magic when you explain it, so... puffy

For what it’s worth I thought it was pretty good. You were channeling Lovecraft indeed.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA

Thanks! I just finished a tin of Oak Alley which really impressed me. It has some Katerini, which i assumed was respondible for making the blend taste so different from other blends with VA, Burley and perique. C&D seems to be pretty enamored since it seems like they use it in a lot of newer blends.

Maybe I'll try Bijou in my next order for a simpler mix of VAs and Katerini to see if I can nail down this leaf a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.