Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Sometimes it's interesting and entertaining to notice the differences between different generations.
Recently I was hanging out at one of the local bars, Cafe Alma in St. Pete to be exact, and I was having a great time. The service was great, and the blonde 23 year old bartender was entertaining and attentive.
She was also chatting up a couple of her girlfriends that were sitting next to me, when I got a little laugh at the conversation I was eavesdropping on.
I know it is common to type the letters "btw" for an abbreviated version of saying "by the way" when you are online. However, this was the first time I ever heard someone actually say "Bee Tee Double-u" instead of "by the way".
It's funny since it is actually going against the intended purpose of shortening things.
Bee Tee Double-u = 5 syllables

By the way = 3 syllables.
Silly young women!

bowhatchie

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 27, 2010
Amen,
My 14 year old granddaughter is as bad as they come.. her whole language is built on a series of acronyms and this means that... that I just can not comprehend.. I normally have to stop her and ask her to speak to me in remember when a coke cost a dime language!

jship079

Can't Leave
Oct 17, 2010
Amen,
My 14 year old granddaughter is as bad as they come.. her whole language is built on a series of acronyms and this means that... that I just can not comprehend.. I normally have to stop her and ask her to speak to me in remember when a coke cost a dime language!
If she is 14 the cheapest she ever saw a coke was 75cents LOL

hilojohnny

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
Unfortunately this generation of "texters" is largely a generation that cannot spell or use proper grammar.....I guess it's not emphasized as it was back in the old school days.

bubbadreier

Lifer
Jul 30, 2010
Norman, Oklahoma
I will admit that I text. I will also admit that I do not remember proper grammer, can't spell that well, and sometimes don't even know what I meant to say, but I always always write everything out in a text. I hate abbriviations in text messages!!

collin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 29, 2010
Oklahoma
I was headed back to the station from a fire alarm a few weeks ago and while stopped at a red light about a half a block from a school that had recently let-out, I was dumb-founded as I watched no less than three hundred young students walking in my direction....ninety-five percent of whom had their heads down texting their little hearts out! Probably communicated in the best way they know how with kids who where probably right behind them!
The "Dumbification of America"!

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
I think from now on I am not going to laugh anymore, I will just keep a straight face and say LOL. If something is really funny I may smile and say LMAO.

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
I think one of the funniest things I've ever seen was a young girl texting her best friend, who was sat right next to her!!!
This clip sums up the female youth in this country. Never a truer word, spoken in jest!!!

watch

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I refuse to text. It makes no sense to me and contributes to this ever increasing trend of depersonalization. I, for one, miss the days of growing up when the butcher knew your name, the cut of meat you like and how thick you like it, your barber knew your family and just how you like your hair cut, the dry cleaners knew your clothes and the fact that you make wine...etc. Now it seems like no one has the time or the integrity to meet each other and interact face to face. As a friend of mine put it "I can tell you to f**k off a lot faster than I can type it into my phone.

krgulick

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I think I am quite the dinosaur in that I do not have a cell phone. Just do not see the need for it right now. The expense just does not justify having one right now for me. Besides, can one just make phone calls with one nowadays?

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
I like texting, because I can do it while I'm driving. The wind noise in my jeep is too loud to hear any conversations, but as long as the road's not too curvy, I can hold the wheel with my knees and rattle off a quick note to my wife or my boss or whatevs. It's got to be a pretty straight road, though, because if I have to shift, then I only have one thumb to type with, instead of two. And I wish I wasn't a stickler for actually spelling out words, though. Sometimes it does take longer than I want to write things, and I miss out on A LOT of the scenery as it goes by.

Status
Not open for further replies.