PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
The thing that gets me is the companies know this is happening. I said earlier about that guy selling those pipes. he fully admitted that he’d never sell all his pipes if others weren’t reselling at a later date.

Reactions: AppalachianPipe92
Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
Exactly. Stick "limited" or "small batch" on a tin and watch it sell out, regardless of how good or bad it even is. They could charge 50 a tin and people would think its just gonna be that much better.
Manufactured supply shortage indeed.
Its the purposely created supply shortage that causes this.. I'm surprised they don't charge 50 bucks a tin from the beginning.

They've certainly set themselves up to do so.

Feb 12, 2022
North Georgia mountains.
The thing that gets me is the companies know this is happening. I said earlier about that guy selling those pipes. he fully admitted that he’d never sell all his pipes if others weren’t reselling at a later date.
I collect art and this is beyond normal with art.
One artist I collect got tired of flippers, so he limited how many prints people could buy. Then he found out which sales went to bots and refunded those. Then he even refunded sales that he saw on ebay before they even shipped out. He went all in on trying to keep the prints in the hands of his fans. No clue how he did all this, but he did a fantastic job keeping his prices low and making it harder for flippers to flip.
Another thing he did was started producing more prints with higher run quantities so more people had a chance to own stuff. Then he would do super limited lottery sales, or limited late night sales, etc. So he still released very low quantity stuff, but it wasn't Holy grail status anymore cause he was releasing so much other stuff to his fans.

Reactions: Commander McBragg

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I collect art and this is beyond normal with art.
One artist I collect got tired of flippers, so he limited how many prints people could buy. Then he found out which sales went to bots and refunded those. Then he even refunded sales that he saw on ebay before they even shipped out. He went all in on trying to keep the prints in the hands of his fans. No clue how he did all this, but he did a fantastic job keeping his prices low and making it harder for flippers to flip.
Another thing he did was started producing more prints with higher run quantities so more people had a chance to own stuff. Then he would do super limited lottery sales, or limited late night sales, etc. So he still released very low quantity stuff, but it wasn't Holy grail status anymore cause he was releasing so much other stuff to his fans.
that Artist was an honest guy. But these others know if it’s not a limited or small batch they still not have sold 15000 tins yet. so they drive this.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
Just like all the people selling the discontinued/out of business blends and the people with FOMO. It is what it is. I'm sure Penzance and Frog Morton are great tobaccos but I'll probably never know. Early bird gets the worm!

Reactions: eljimmy

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
In one aspect, "limited" is a certain quantity the manufacturer moves and doesn't have sitting tying up capital.

Gining up excitement to get the product sold, well that's just good business.

Gripping about how unfair it all is on a interwebs site... Priceless.

Follow what the drunks do... Accept the things you can't change.

Reactions: Kobold

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
In one aspect, "limited" is a certain quantity the manufacturer moves and doesn't have sitting tying up capital.

No one’s gripping. We are just discussing our thoughts. That’s the whole point of discussions on the forum isn’t it?

• Haha
Reactions: craig61a

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin

When I first asked the question of what others thought I made it clear I already bought my lot. In fact I gave two away to friends that were too late to order. Which in my case was 4 mins after they went live.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I'm quite surprised that the prices for the Small Batch releases aren't higher than the regular releases.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
As the Dude would say “Just a sign of end-stage capitalism, dude.”

I simply avoid the shark feeding frenzy of small batch runs or feverishly searching high and low for “unobtainium “ blends. I’m too old and too frugal for the hustle.

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I've always bought extra of things in high demand and resold. The people who buy the extra stuff are glad to get it... Or they wouldn't buy it.

Were not talking about insulin here, were talking about tobacco.

I sense a lot of childish envy in this thread.
It’s the same as when people were running into Walmart buying all the hand sanitizer and toilet paper. Of course the people buying it after the fact were happy to get it as they never had a chance to buy it for the normal price because someone went and bought it all up. There’s no childish envy that I have read on any of these posts. Just a lot of people discussing their humble opinions as you have also done. This is just a discussion.

Kobold

Lifer
Feb 2, 2022
Maryland
It’s the same as when people were running into Walmart buying all the hand sanitizer and toilet paper. Of course the people buying it after the fact were happy to get it as they never had a chance to buy it for the normal price because someone went and bought it all up. There’s no childish envy that I have read on any of these posts. Just a lot of people discussing their humble opinions as you have also done. This is just a discussion.
Totally not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.