PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
This may have already been discussed or may make people upset. I don’t mean any disrespect just curious of what others think. So recently C&D released a short batch of the Sun Bear. It went for sale at midnight on a Sunday and some places were sold out by 12:04 am shortly after midnight. Now people are selling these tobaccos for unrealistic prices. What are your thoughts? I know everyone has the right to buy what they want. My thoughts are these businesses must know people are selling these after the fact. My personal thoughts are when short batches come up they should limit the sale to 10 per customer. this is just my own humble opinion. Just curious what others think. Oh and I bought enough to last me for the year. Less than 10. Just I know some people were really looking forward to buying some and they never had the chance.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
This may have already been discussed or may make people upset. I don’t mean any disrespect just curious of what others think. So recently C&D released a short batch of the Sun Bear. It went for sale at midnight on a Sunday and some places were sold out by 12:04 am shortly after midnight. Now people are selling these tobaccos for unrealistic prices. What are your thoughts? I know everyone has the right to buy what they want. My thoughts are these businesses must know people are selling these after the fact. My personal thoughts are when short batches come up they should limit the sale to 10 per customer. this is just my own humble opinion. Just curious what others think. Oh and I bought enough to last me for the year. Less than 10. Just I know some people were really looking forward to buying some and they never had the chance.
I'll bite. I agree that purchases should be limited on a small batch to give more people the chance to buy some. When Ernie puts out a special release, like Rougaroux, he puts a limit on the amount that can be purchased, allowing more people to be able to buy some.
Other stores may not care. It's their business to run as they see fit. But it doesn't smack of concern for allowing the sale to the widest number of people.
What people decide to do with their purchases is their business. Nobody is pointing a gun to anyone's head to force them to buy a blend at an elevated price. If high prices are a wound, it's a self inflicted one. Don't like inflated aftermarket prices? Don't buy the goods. It's not like there's a shortage of other choices.

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
Smoking Pipes usually does have a tin limit on Small Batch releases. Can't speak for the other retailers, though.
I know sometimes they do. But I wasn’t sure this time or not. I do know that 1 min past midnight I couldn’t even get on SmokingPipes website so I went to tobaccopipes and bought my few. But thought maybe I’d get a few more just in case a friend didn’t get some and at 12:04 they were sold out. Now on the Facebook pipe sellers pages they are coming up for sale. It’s everyone’s right to do this. I personally don’t care that much just know a lot of people seem very upset. I was just curious. I’ve already given away a couple of my tins to friends. But I am keeping the rest

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I'll bite. I agree that purchases should be limited on a small batch to give more people the chance to buy some. When Ernie puts out a special release, like Rougaroux, he puts a limit on the amount that can be purchased, allowing more people to be able to buy some.
Other stores may not care. It's their business to run as they see fit. But it doesn't smack of concern for allowing the sale to the widest number of people.
What people decide to do with their purchases is their business. Nobody is pointing a gun to anyone's head to force them to buy a blend at an elevated price. If high prices are a wound, it's a self inflicted one. Don't like inflated aftermarket prices? Don't buy the goods. It's not like there's a shortage of other choices.
as I said before, what others do it’s their business and their money. I was just curious what others thought as I’ve heard a lot of people being upset on some of the Facebook pipe groups and I’ve seen lots come up for sale the last few days. One was wanting $50 a tin and got it.

• Haha
Reactions: AJL67

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I don't entirely disagree, but I have noticed at least on SmokingPipes, there's some tins that do have a limit per order due to supply.

I think it's a real dick move to spam refresh when you know something is coming out that will be limited and snatching up as much as you're allowed with the sole purpose of trying to flip it at gouging prices when the stock runs out. People did that in the early days of the pandemic with sanitizers and stuff, some of which got burned as they were banned from selling on Amazon and other places and got stuck with thousands of dollars of product they'd never use and can't sell. I think with things considered necessities, it should be a punishable crime, but tobacco isn't a necessity. When it comes to non-necessities/luxuries, while I think it's a dick move, it's really up to the sellers and the market to figure that out.

I don't know that there's much that can be done about that, there's always going to be someone that wants it bad enough and willing to pay 2-10x the market value, so it's always going to be worth it to people to try to scalp the stuff. Unless everyone that used pipe tobacco agreed to never pay scalped re-sell prices, people would stop doing stuff like that. But that'll never happen.

And certainly even if they limited purchase to even just 5 tins of stuff like that, it would still sell out probably almost as fast because there's enough people trying to flip a quick buck.

Fortunately, I wasn't interested in that particular blend.

I suppose one option is to find some way of tracking your loyal customers, and giving them exclusive opportunity to buy first before going to market, but that's up to the maker and sounds like a onerous task that wouldn't be worth the effort.

Mar 13, 2020
missouri
I know sometimes they do. But I wasn’t sure this time or not. I do know that 1 min past midnight I couldn’t even get on SmokingPipes website so I went to tobaccopipes and bought my few. But thought maybe I’d get a few more just in case a friend didn’t get some and at 12:04 they were sold out. Now on the Facebook pipe sellers pages they are coming up for sale. It’s everyone’s right to do this. I personally don’t care that much just know a lot of people seem very upset. I was just curious. I’ve already given away a couple of my tins to friends. But I am keeping the rest
I had a similar experience with the Anthology release. I stuck it out and was able to buy my tins, though. I can't say that I really agree or disagree with what people are doing. I can only speak for what I would do, which is not waste my time or energy trying to scoop up tins just to sell on the secondary market for a high price.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
I suppose one option is to find some way of tracking your loyal customers, and giving them exclusive opportunity to buy first before going to market, but that's up to the maker and sounds like a onerous task that wouldn't be worth the effort.
Funny you should mention this, because it's exactly what McClelland did in the months prior to their announcement that they were closing down. They contacted their distributors and asked them to let their McClelland customers know about the impending closing so that they could stock up.
Once the word did get out, the piranhas and crazies were all over it.

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I had a similar experience with the Anthology release. I stuck it out and was able to buy my tins, though. I can't say that I really agree or disagree with what people are doing. I can only speak for what I would do, which is not waste my time or energy trying to scoop up tins just to sell on the secondary market for a high price.
This Was sort of a bad question to ask as everyone has the right to do what they like.

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
I get what you are saying but these limited and numbered releases create a type of collector frenzy. And in any collectible market there are the dreaded flippers. Love them or hate them, they will always exist if tobacco companies keep putting out these limited releases. I have experienced plenty of this since I used to collect toys, skateboards and art prints but I never thought I would have to experience it in the tobacco world. This also happens plenty out in the cigar world as well with mostly all limited releases like OpusX, Tatuaje Halloween releases and others. Bottom line, you have to stay informed and be alert if you want to acquire any type of drop at retail price.

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I get what you are saying but these limited and numbered releases create a type of collector frenzy. And in any collectible market there are the dreaded flippers. Love them or hate them, they will always exist if tobacco companies keep putting out these limited releases. I have experienced plenty of this since I used to collect toys, skateboards and art prints but I never thought I would have to experience it in the tobacco world. This also happens plenty out in the cigar world as well with mostly all limited releases like OpusX, Tatuaje Halloween releases and others. Bottom line, you have to stay informed and be alert if you want to acquire any type of drop at retail price.
I think you nailed it. I fully agree with you on this one.

Reactions: eljimmy

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Scalpers are scum ,whatever they try to flip,but it has always been like that.if there is a shortage someone will look to profit.
more fools those that pay the prices but each to there own.

Reactions: Commander McBragg
Status
Not open for further replies.