PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I'm telling you. As soon as I started seeing the word "limited" and numbered tins I knew I had to sign up to email newsletters and more importantly follow their instagram pages. Instagram is the platform everyone is using for release announcements.
That’s right. There was a guy selling limited pipes and announced the release on instagram. Before I had a chance to get from instagram to the guys website the pipes were gone. But funny enough a few weeks later they were selling on the Facebook pipe seller groups. I even told the guy selling the pipes this was going to happen and his reply was “as long as I sell them, I don’t care what others do” I said just limit how many you sell to one person. He said “if I did that, I’d never sell all of them” I should say I was able to buy mine early at the Chicago pipe sho, so I wasn’t too concerned

Reactions: eljimmy

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
That’s right. There was a guy selling limited pipes and announced the release on instagram. Before I had a chance to get from instagram to the guys website the pipes were gone. But funny enough a few weeks later they were selling on the Facebook pipe seller groups. I even told the guy selling the pipes this was going to happen and his reply was “as long as I sell them, I don’t care what others do” I said just limit how many you sell to one person. He said “if I did that, I’d never sell all of them”
It certainly is a way of making money. There are plenty of people doing this. I have a couple of friends that make a living going to thrift stores and looking for vintage clothing and selling them to all the hipsters out here in Los Angeles for mad money. I have years of experience with this so I just go into collector mode when these tobacco drops happen because I want to pay retail. I missed the last Sun Bear drop but luckily I had other limited tobacco to make some trades. This is going to be on going and will be part of the game now. Choose to partake or not, it's all up to the person.

blackpowderpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
My two cents: I don't like it and wish it were not so. But....people have been doing this since the beginning of time. It has always been thus, and thus it will always be. As Sable mentioned, if there is a wound inflicted, it is a self inflicted one. If I know a certain product is going to be released, and if it meets my criteria for something I might like, I might try to obtain some. However, if I am unable to obtain any, life goes on and there are a ton of other tobaccos that I like that, at least for now, are readily available. As always, it is up to the buyer to decide how they want to use their monies.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
As a vendor would you rather process 1000 orders or 100 orders and be done with it, people tend to go deep in things they like, as was stated they can put a max quantity per person per 24 hours or even weekly as some do on tobaccos wether a limited release or just htf stuff, vendors can’t reall ask you what your going to do with it. There are some bonuses for vendors by limiting quantity / time, keeps customers coming back everyday and most likely buying other products for the free shipping threshold and things like that, but in the end it’s up to them and how they handle the release, there are plenty of smaller sources that still have these products you just have to hunt for them, or be the guy up at midnight that starts hitting refresh at 11:59.

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
Yes but honestly, they take on that attitude of that pipe maker you mentioned. Bottom line is that sale.
That’s right. And I’m sure some might disagree with me, but why limit something that they know is so popular. But if they limit the amount they sell right away. If they didn’t limit the amount the odds are they’d never come close to selling the first 15,000 tins so fast.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
IMO blenders are releasing "small batch," and "limited edition" blends precisely because of the behavior described in the OP. As we used to say in the government about programs in trouble "change the name to stay ahead of its reputation." I'm a bit perplexed at the behavior as many times there isn't a review of the blend posted, all there is to go on is a description of component tobaccos -- which may or may not be complete or accurate. I usually avoid the feeding frenzy, if it's really good it will make another appearance. Similarly I'll avoid the secondary market where folks jack up the price on a pedestrian "limited edition" offering. There is a wide assortment of well regarded tobaccos that are well reviewed and reasonably available, there's no reason to chase unicorns.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
As we used to say in the car business, there is an ass for every seat. There will always be someone with more money than sense paying huge jack for blends like Stonehaven with no age. It is the nature of the business. Supply and demand is the way of the world and I don't ever see that changing in my lifetime.
It's a beautiful thing, as long as you're on the right side of the fence.

Reactions: Commander McBragg

eljimmy

Lifer
Jan 3, 2021
Los Angeles, California
As we used to say in the car business, there is an ass for every seat. There will always be someone with more money than sense paying huge jack for blends like Stonehaven with no age. It is the nature of the business. Supply and demand is the way of the world and I don't ever see that changing in my lifetime.
My son has a friend that makes a killing on flipping sneakers. The kicker to me is that some of these rich kids that buy them feel like it's a "flex" to overpay. Hahaha!

Reactions: UncleRasta

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I haven't read everything about the great "Sun Bear", but here's a couple of random thoughts.

This sounds like much to do about nothing.

If it's so great why can't the just make more? I don't care what's in it, there's more out there.

Buying and selling for a profit is the American way, so why are we surprised?

"Collectors" screw each other over all the time. It's easy based on the economic theory of the positional good.

Just forget it and move on. There are lots of other blends to buy that I'm sure are just as good.

Nothing is so desirable as what you can't have.

And finally "BUCK UP!" puffy

Commander McBragg

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 14, 2021
Wisconsin
I haven't read everything about the great "Sun Bear", but here's a couple of random thoughts.

This sounds like much to do about nothing.

If it's so great why can't the just make more? I don't care what's in it, there's more out there.

Buying and selling for a profit is the American way, so why are we surprised?

"Collectors" screw each other over all the time. It's easy based on the economic theory of the positional good.

Just forget it and move on. There are lots of other blends to buy that I'm sure are just as good.

Nothing is so desirable as what you can't have.

And finally "BUCK UP!" puffy
I agree about what you said why can’t the make more. And sun bear was just an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.