PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

Can anyone tell me which online tobacco stores deliver quickest. Are there any out there that have next day delivery as standard? I’m currently going through C-Gars and they’re customer service is great but I ordered on a Thursday morning and didn’t take delivery til Monday, meaning I had to travel to get a decent tobacco to last me the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Do you really want to pay the outrageous rates for next day shipping?? I would guess that you could always ask customer service of the shipper if he offer next day shipping and if he does ask him what it costs.

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Do you really want to pay the outrageous rates for next day shipping?? I would guess that you could always ask customer service of the shipper if he offer next day shipping and if he does ask him what it costs.
Not really but I collect penknives and the retailer I buy from gets them to you the next day without any delivery charge, I was just hoping that there’s a tobacco retailer that does the same. But you’re right, I need to shop around a bit more. I tend to get stuck in my ways.

Reactions: kcghost

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Not really but I collect penknives and the retailer I buy from gets them to you the next day without any delivery charge, I was just hoping that there’s a tobacco retailer that does the same. But you’re right, I need to shop around a bit more. I tend to get stuck in my ways.
I think a lot of it has to do with margins. The prices we are paying online for tobacco are pretty close to wholesale, so a lot of online businesses need you to buy a certain amount in order to break even with free shipping, which is why you see the free shipping minimums.
I can't think of anywhere that offers free overnight. The closest you'll get is Ken Byron Ventures, which offers free priority mail shipping, although it's really wrapped up into the higher cost of the tobacco.

Also, as others have said, it's all about where you live, and the proximity to the e-tailer. I live in southern Arizona, and there is not a single retailer except for a B and M in Phoenix who is going to get me tobacco overnight without me paying exorbitantly for overnight shipping. When I order from the typical e-tailers (which seem to mostly be on the East Coast), it will take anywhere from 2 days to a week for my order to arrive.

The simplest solution is to always order more than you need, so you never run out!

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
You obviously haven't gotten to the "hoarder" stage of tobacco smoking yet. Stick with us, we'll get you there.
I’m already feeling the urge, I brought several Kilner jars for just that purpose at the weekend.

Reactions: logs

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I can get overnight UPS from many if, I'm willing to pay for it. I live in Alaska so even "ground" shipping is quick as everything comes by air no matter what I request. Very nice! IRC orders get to the door in three days usually. It all depends on what you will pay for and if the vendor will deviate from their normal shipping for a bit more money.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
Another vote for SP. Tobacco Pipes is also fast. Everything is a little slower this time of the year. Some have available overnight delivery at a cost...

Reactions: bnichols23

stokesdale

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 17, 2020
Stokesdale
Depends on where you live with pipe tobacco; I mostly buy pipe tobacco from SP. I live in NC and because they are in SC, I always get my orders within 48 hrs. For cigars, at least with the company I deal with, it depends on the cigar. I get my cigars from the Famous Smoke Shop, they are in PA; I get them within 48 hours as well via Fed Ex. One time my shipment from them was delayed a day so I called and was told by them that their standard shipping time for most cigars was 5 to 7 days to destination, but the person apologized to me and said that since my order was a box of Davidoffs (which is the only cigar I smoke), it should have been processed earlier. In other words, for them it depends if you are buying the high end stuff or not, not so much where you live. My Davidoffs usually run me just south of $500 a box, so I guess they spend more on getting those out quicker than others, which sort of makes sense from a business perspective I guess.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Here's a crazy idea order some extra stuff instead of waiting until you need/ want it. That way you can avoid a $80.00 overnight shipping charge. You just need to plan more than 5 minutes into the future.
You’re right of course. I’m been smoking more the deeper I venture into the many different tobaccos out there and I’ve taken the advice offered to make sure I don’t run out. The best solution is usually the simplest and once I’ve tried all the wrong ways I eventually find the right one.

Birddog66

Lifer
Nov 29, 2020
Newhaven England
Depends on where you live with pipe tobacco; I mostly buy pipe tobacco from SP. I live in NC and because they are in SC, I always get my orders within 48 hrs. For cigars, at least with the company I deal with, it depends on the cigar. I get my cigars from the Famous Smoke Shop, they are in PA; I get them within 48 hours as well via Fed Ex. One time my shipment from them was delayed a day so I called and was told by them that their standard shipping time for most cigars was 5 to 7 days to destination, but the person apologized to me and said that since my order was a box of Davidoffs (which is the only cigar I smoke), it should have been processed earlier. In other words, for them it depends if you are buying the high end stuff or not, not so much where you live. My Davidoffs usually run me just south of $500 a box, so I guess they spend more on getting those out quicker than others, which sort of makes sense from a business perspective I guess.

That does makes sense. I used to enjoy a cigar but in Britain the price is exorbitant. The Romeo e Juilieta Churchill Maduro was my favourite (excuse my spelling). I’ve taken the advice I’ve been given however and ordered extra tobacco so I don’t have to run around getting a bit to tide me over.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I hate to be Mr Obvious but why don't you just order ahead a week or two and even consider building a modest cellar? What am I missing? A tin of two of tobacco may be larger than a pen knife but likely 1/10th or less of the cost. Where would the main come from to pay for the overnight shipping?

If you want, tell me your brands, I'll stock them and give you free overnight shipping. Cost per tin will be $50. There, problem solved.