PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
Looks good!

I had to re-shape an amber stem once for some nicks and it was relatively easy to sand with fine grit. Polished up nicely. Was the "new old stock" from Peterson.

If you have any rough edges, sanding with micromesh should be fine.

Reactions: TheWhale13

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I managed to drop my Pete 80s on a carpeted floor today. 5 easy pieces… Well 4 actually.

Just got out of surgery. It’s doing better now. Has a little more character.

View attachment 144763
That sux :(

While I really like the look of genuine amber, it is a fragile material.

I'm happier with amber-look-alikes and would consider getting a vulcanite or acrylic stem for everyday use.
Acrylic amber tortoise-shell stem material look great and so much more practical.

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I have been through this as well. I had a great meer bowl without a stem, and a great amber stem without a bowl. While enjoying being elated that I had found a match, I simply dropped the stem and it broke into two perfect pieces. I now only handle amber stems over soft surfaces.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
didnt the Peterson pipes with amber stems also include an acrylic stem as well,or was that only the first run they made.
I know the one I bought but never received was shown with 2 stems

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Yes, it came with two stems.

What’s the fun of buying a pipe that comes with an amber stem and not smoking it with the amber stem…?

runscott

Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Just watched a Rebornpipes video of a guy fixing his amber stem with the Stew Mac amber-tinted superglue. He said it was a little light, so I ordered this. It claims to have an amber hue: "This Medium Brown CA dries light amber in color, eliminating the need to use sawdust with CA glue."

Starbond brown superglue