PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
HOO-Whee! Ask and you shall receive! I tell you what brothers, let’s narrow this down a mite. Let’s just say I’m not all interested in ordering online. I like doing my business face to face if I can. Now there’s a place in Roanoke called Milan that I can visit one afternoon this week. Anyone been there? What tobacco do they have if I’m looking for burley blends, from house blends to otherwise?

I might try online later as Old Joe Krantz looks good.
It appears they have a list on their website. You might enjoy their 401 mixture and/or diplomat. I am not familiar with their blends.

I wish i could do my tobacco business face to face but it is not a possibility for me.

Ordering online can seem daunting, but given you are just looking for a change of pace to your tried and true granger, just order 2-4oz of a handful of c&d burley based blends and find your favourite. Mine is haunted bookshop

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
@Grangerous any suggestions?
This morning I cracked a freshly purchased tin of University Flake and thought it rather Granger-like. It’s very mild on retro and it gives a berry-like high note.

This afternoon it was a cob of Pegasus followed
by a bowl of Granger.

I enjoyed the University Flake. I rubbed it out well and let it sit for 20 minutes. I was impressed, very pleasant.

The Pegasus, as always—I find slightly harsh on retro but it has a nice flavor.

There’s nothing I enjoy more than Granger.

Welcome to the forum, Salty.

renfield

Lifer
Oct 16, 2011
Kansas
C&D Pegasus
Tabac Manil La Brumeuse (a semois tobacco, unique)
Watch City Deluxe Crumb Cut
Peter Stokkebye Cube Cut.

Reactions: Salty

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This morning I cracked a freshly purchased tin of University Flake and thought it rather Granger-like. It’s very mild on retro and it gives a berry-like high note.

This afternoon it was a cob of Pegasus followed
by a bowl of Granger.

I enjoyed the University Flake. I rubbed it out well and let it sit for 20 minutes. I was impressed, very pleasant.

The Pegasus, as always—I find slightly harsh on retro but it has a nice flavor.

There’s nothing I enjoy more than Granger.

Welcome to the forum, Salty.
wow you're really trying to sell me on this granger stuff. :)

Reactions: Salty

Alex.Jr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 30, 2020
Barbary coast and PS 41 cube cut. Coming from granger I’d start with that. Flavorful but not overwhelming.

One has a bourbon note, the other I get more Cocoa and chocolate.

Both tasty, an all day smoke, and very underrated in my opinion.

Reactions: anotherbob

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
If your not trying to order online that will really limit your options to choose from, leaving only what they would have in stock. As far as OTC blends I would recommend Prince Albert ( if you can find it) or Half & Half, both are a bit different from Granger yet still have a good amount of flavor. Velvet is another good choice as well.

Toast

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 15, 2021
UK
This is really by way of a thank you. @cigrmaster posted this on another thread & I got a couple of new favourites off it:
Solani Silver Flake
Peterson Perfect Plug
GL Pease Navigator
Petersons Irish Flake
Peterson University Flake
Esoterica Stonehaven
Mac Baren HH Old Dark Fired
Mac Baren Modern Virginia Flake
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro

The only one I didn't like (of those that are available here) was University Flake. I'd add:
Mac Baren, Bold Kentucky
Gawith Hoggarth, Best Brown U/S

C

carolinasmokes

I like and would recommend C&D Cube Cut Burley for a good change of pace smoke, It'll definitely put some pep in your step.

Reactions: anotherbob

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Tobac Manil, you should try La Brumeuse or Reserve Du Patron.
They are excellent, it's burley like you have never tasted, it's strong and tasty, it lights and burns effortlessly, and you won't regret it.
yeah second that smoked some last night and it's just great stuff. And it's more affordable then they make it look like. It comes in a compressed brick.

Reactions: markus
Jun 23, 2019
Oh Lordy, that’s quite a few of them. Guess I’ll need to roll my sleeves and start looking them up.

Yeah looks like you have a handful already, but let me throw in a bulk: Peter Stokkebye's #312 "Toasted Burley" - no frills no thrills no mark up, just a great toasted burley blend.

RookieGuy

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 2, 2021
Maryland
PS Cube Cut is another great option. Five Brothers as well. And I've had good luck with Sutliff matches having never the pleasure of trying the originals. On their own merits they are a pleasant smoke. Some that might feel familiar, like deja vu. In a very very general nutshell, C&D do pretty interesting things with a "new school" take on the leaf. And Mac Baron is usually a pretty solid gamble, they are quality products that you much not care for at worst.

You mentioned no flake and no ordering online. That will lead you to whatever your local B&M carries, although some might be willing to special order for you. In that case, I would suggest a conversation with the gentleman behind the counter, and any patrons with feelings about the subject.

As the gentleman above felt remiss without at least stating his case for flake cut, I'd like to make a pitch for online shopping. Without knowing where you are or your situation (and, frankly, it's none of my business), online has never been more convenient or safe. What you trade atmosphere, instant gratification, and the good feeling of supporting local business for is price and selection. A can of Granger and 5 or 6 2oz samples is enough to qualify for free shipping.

But, as always, YMMV.

Status
Not open for further replies.