PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salty

Lurker
Mar 27, 2021
Bedford, VA
Help an old codger out. Been wanting to try something different after smoking Granger nearly all my life. I’m not stopping with Granger, oh no! I just want to try something, like a burley blend? Maybe a straight burley or a VaBur? Must be middle to strong in strength I’m figuring. Don’t sell me on flakes or straight Virginia’s or englishes or any damn thing that smells/tastes like old lady bath soaps.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
There are some great suggestions here!

I know you said no flakes, but you also said you wanted something strong, so how about C&D Burley Flakes #1 and #3. They're great, natural tasting, stout as hell,and super easy to work with... Like, they're half broken on arrival. A quick rub between your fingers, and dry to your preference and you are ready to rock and roll. They light easily and burn extremely well. Barely any more work than a ribbon.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I tend toward burley myself and will second Old Joe Krantz, though I like the original, and Amphora Burley. The Tabac-Manil Semois burley variant is good, and it ships so dry, you get more smokes than you'd think. If you enjoy burley in an English blend, I can recommend C&D Stratfordshire and C&D Bayou Night. D&R Two Timers is tasty. OHM Turkish Red is a good burley/Turkish blend. Take a walk through the C&D bulk and tin pages; C&D is the outfit that took burley from a codger leaf to a constituent of premium blends, and they offer an expansive array of burley based or burley inclusive blends, some of which would be attuned to your tastes. If you are interested in a burley aromatic, Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic has a burley base, with Virginia as a condiment, and is flavored with three liqueurs, but is definitely tobacco forward. You can sample it in a pouch. You know your own taste. Some of these might appeal.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
if you want some of the best blends then open your mind to the facts about flakes.
Here are a few that a readily available.
Capstan Blue Flake
Savinelli Doblone d'Oro
Peterson Flake.
Yes you said no flakes but I would be remiss if I at least didn't try and talk you into an experience for my money beats the hell out of ribbons and shags and any other cuts. Read up on cube cutting flakes. Once you get that down with a few months of practice, then you go for the fold and stuff. If an idiot like me can fold and stuff and cube cut, anyone can. If you try, I wish you luck. I have a feeling you will not find this very hard.

Downeaster

Lurker
Nov 14, 2019
Check out LJ Peretti. They are known for their burley blends. I am particularly partial to their Cuban Mixture and #333 Blend

Reactions: Salty

Salty

Lurker
Mar 27, 2021
Bedford, VA
HOO-Whee! Ask and you shall receive! I tell you what brothers, let’s narrow this down a mite. Let’s just say I’m not all interested in ordering online. I like doing my business face to face if I can. Now there’s a place in Roanoke called Milan that I can visit one afternoon this week. Anyone been there? What tobacco do they have if I’m looking for burley blends, from house blends to otherwise?

I might try online later as Old Joe Krantz looks good.

• Haha
Reactions: anotherbob

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Tobac Manil, you should try La Brumeuse or Reserve Du Patron.
They are excellent, it's burley like you have never tasted, it's strong and tasty, it lights and burns effortlessly, and you won't regret it.

Reactions: anotherbob
Status
Not open for further replies.