PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
Looking for a sweeter, after dinner, burley based tobacco. I grabbed Haunted Bookshop, Crooner, and Easy Times, and I think I'm not one for Latakia and want something that shows the sweeter side of burley if it has one. Additionally a strong nic hit would be great. Those 3 I mentioned I probably won't be buying again. Any recommendations?

Reactions: Servant King

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I love the C&D Burleys, but they just don't have much sweetness. I'd recommend MacBaren's HH Burley Flake, Solani Aged Burley Flake and Watch City Slices. All of these offer a bit of sweetness, likely added, but are still primarily about the burley leaf itself. That said, the more I smoked C&D Burleys, the more I noticed how much was going on with them. They offer depth and richness and strength that is harder to find in some of the others I mentioned. They're just more rustic, and on the dryer side of the dry-sweet spectrum.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Watch City's Deluxe Crumb Cut was a game changer for me. Rich burley with a nice sweetness.

University Flake was another, with a sweet plum or stone fruit flavor. Irish Flake is a stouter burley with less sweetness.

I also find coffee blends to be burley forward with cocoa, anise, and other sweet toppings. Half and Half rarely disappoints.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Uhles 300 has a honey graham cracker sweetness. If you like it a bit less sweet, try Uhles 00.

Granger is sweet tasting to me but you’re mileage may vary. Velvet or SWR Aromatic will deliver sweetness, especially the latter.

Pegasus sweet? Yes, but it’s a weaving in and out ginger snap kind of sweet. This one is a bit more savory, almost a buttered popped-corn tannic walnut with, as I’ve said, a gentle sweetness that pays a visit. —a personal favorite because of its complexity. It’s a VaBur.

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
Pegasus
Erik Stokkebye 1931
Peter Stokkebye ps41 cube cut
MacBaron HH Burley Flake
Uhle's 00 (only available on the Uhle's site)
Any of the C&D Burley Flakes 1-5

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Lot's of possibilities my choices would be, in no particular order:

PS41
Deluxe Crumb Cut
HH Burley Flake
ABF
Golden Extra

From left field would be Bob's Chocolate Flake, not strictly burley but it has some and the chocolate may provide the bit of sweetness you're looking for.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Peterson Irish Flake and 3-P are delicious burley blends but not particularly sweet to me. C&D's Stratfordshire and Tuggle Hall are good English blends with burley. Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic is burley based with Virginia as a condiment and flavored with three liqueurs, and has a definite sweet spin.

Reactions: danimalia