PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I dislike burley -- sometimes it even turns my stomach -- but, over the years, I've come across a few burley blends that I don't mind (or even kind of like).

It occurs to me that some of you other VA smokers out there may also dislike burley, but for one reason or another be motivated to acquire the taste. So, in case it's of any assistance, here are some blends which contain a noticeable (to me) proportion of burley, which this burley-disliker doesn't dislike (alphabetically by brand):
  • 4noggins Bald Headed Teacher
  • GHC Rum Flake
  • GLP Windjammer
  • GLP Stonehenge Flake
  • MB Three Nuns
  • PH Dark Strong Flake
  • Robert McConnell Scottish Cake
Just FWIW. YMMV.

Masterblaster

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 23, 2021
Evans, GA
This will be an interesting thread to follow! I too very much just like Burley, but figured one day I might give it a whirl! Windjammer and Stonehenge flake are one sitting on the back of the radar for whenever that day comes!

Reactions: RonB and UncleRasta

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
I strongly recommend C&D Bayou nights for those English and Perique lovers who want to try a Burley in the English Scottish vain , contains no Virginia , basically switches it out for Burley very unique blend and satisfying in the vitamin N

Reactions: RonB and Talon

chilllucky

Lifer
Jul 15, 2018
Chicago, IL, USA
scoosa.com
I am probably 70% of the time a straight Virginia smoker, with the rest being reaches into Virginia / periques and Virginia / DFK's. I, also have had burley blends turn my stomach or do a weird "just licked a battery" alkali thing to my tongue.

But man, do I love this year's 8 state burley from C&D. It's very hard to get stateside, but I'll also mention Germain's Rich Dark Flake which I'm told is about 60-40 Virginia - Burley.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Interesting…. I had always thought of burley as the “standard” of pipe tobacco. I had (apparently incorrectly) presumed every pipe smoker enjoyed burley.

I shall be learning quit a bit from this thread, I think. If it is acceptable to add this question as part of this thread, I would be interested to know:

1. What do the non-burley fans dislike about the leaf?

2. What type of tobacco did you “cut your teeth” on, so-to-speak, when you first started smoking a pipe?

The above are honest questions, because I always figured most people’s first attempts smoking a pipe would end up having at least a burley blend as the pipe tobacco they first found.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
I dislike burley -- sometimes it even turns my stomach -- but, over the years, I've come across a few burley blends that I don't mind (or even kind of like).
I'm tempted to say that it's not the burley that turns your stomach or that you dislike.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I dislike burley -- sometimes it even turns my stomach -- but, over the years, I've come across a few burley blends that I don't mind (or even kind of like)...
I'm curious -- for discussion's sake, not a challenge -- what is it about burley that you dislike? Something about the flavor, or the nicotine?

I noticed pretty early on in my pipe-smoking career that burley-heavy blends got me woozy if I wasn't careful, and sought out other things next. I've since began to appreciate the flavor, but still have to smoke small bowls or take my time with blends containing it. I'm still a nicotine wimp. :)

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
What do the non-burley fans dislike about the leaf?
what is it about burley that you dislike?

Explaining why you dislike a flavor to a person who likes that flavor is notoriously difficult to do.

I cannot understand my wife's dislike of licorice, and she cannot understand my dislike of seaweed.

It's not that I don't taste the "cocoa" and "nutty" aspects of burley -- I do, and in theory, I should like that, since I like cocoa and nutty flavors -- but, in burley, it's more like cigarette-ash-covered-cocoa, and cigarette-ash-covered-nuts.

Sometimes (not always), there's also something sickly-green that goes on in the back of my palette when I smoke burley. Something that salivates on the sides of the back of my tongue in a soured-stomach kind of way.

Full disclosure: I dislike both cigarettes and cigars.
When I smoke burley, I'm reminded that I'm smoking the same species of plant that's used in cigarettes and cigars.
Whereas when I smoke VA (or Latakia, or whatever), I'd have no clue that this leaf is remotely related to what's used in cigarettes and cigars.

Again, YMMV!

(And again, I can sort of enjoy an occasional bowl from my list in the OP. I taste the burley, but in these cases it does not turn my stomach and instead plays nice with other components.)

Jon888

Might Stick Around
Jul 25, 2022
NYC
I’ve avoided burley blends not because of taste but because of nicotine levels, whether real or perceived. Are some blends less than others in that regard?

Reactions: RonB and UncleRasta

highwindows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 16, 2022
Gibraltar/Georgia
Have you tried Peterson's Perfect Plug? It's quite strong nicotine-wise but the burley leaf they use is absolutely fantastic. It's very rich and flavourful and is not at all like cigarette tobacco.
The other burley I highly recommend is HU Makhuwa. To my mind It's the best burley blend around at the moment.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I second the motion on C&D Bayou Night, which is fairly strong, and also C&D Mountain Camp which has the same ingredients in different proportions for a milder smoke. But I am a burley devotee and like many -- but not all -- burley leaf and blends. I think burley as a condiment or base, usually improves an English blend (for one example).

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't smoke any straight Burley blends. I tried Solani Aged Burley Flake and Wessex Burley Slices and didn't care for them. I do however like Virginia/Kentucky/Burley blends. Here are the ones that are in my cellar.
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
Esoterica Stonehaven
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
Solani 660 Silver Flake
GL Pease Navigator
Peterson Irish Flake
Peterson University Flake
Mac Baren Modern Virginia Flake

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
Thanks, @SBC! I agree that it's tough to put one person's subjective experience into the mind of another, but you did a great job of describing it. Tangentially, I get a little of that same salivating around the back sides of the tongue thing with some Oriental-forward English blends that don't contain any burley to my knowledge!

I dislike cigarettes as well, but pipe-smoking has helped me to (sometimes) identify what tobaccos are in a cigarette being smoked nearby. Kind of a dubious gift... :LOL: