Burley Blends for Those Who Dislike Burley

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

I don't smoke any straight Burley blends. I tried Solani Aged Burley Flake and Wessex Burley Slices and didn't care for them. I do however like Virginia/Kentucky/Burley blends. Here are the ones that are in my cellar.
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
Esoterica Stonehaven
Mac Baren Old Dark Fired
Solani 660 Silver Flake
GL Pease Navigator
Peterson Irish Flake
Peterson University Flake
Mac Baren Modern Virginia Flake
This is a great list.

I would add:

C&D Pegasus
C&D Old Joe Kranz (Blue)
G&H Dark Bird’s Eye

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
I smoked Solani Aged Burley Flake 1-2 years ago, and I just bought a few tins a few months ago.

It’s been said the blend has changed, mine tastes the same, so maybe your mileage may vary.

This is still a great Burley blend, for the possible Burley haters. LOL 😆

K.E. Powell

Can't Leave
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
It's interesting how varied the tastes are in our little hobby among its enthusiasts. For me, I cut my teeth on aromatics and virginias, and those are two styles I still enjoy, especially the latter. But burley-forward blends (as opposed to blends where burley is just a common component) have been far and away my favorite. I love the nuttiness, breadiness, and light touches of cocoa; I love how readily burley takes to light and offers a thick smoke; I love how burley, when properly proportioned and used, can balance out overly sweet virginias and provide needed body and oomph to an otherwise airy aromatic.

But I totally get why others do not take to burley as I do. I never was a cigarette smoker, so I never been one to jones for nicotine badly, but even so, I am not sensitive to it whereas others are. Some don't find the natural earthiness of burleys to shine through and instead taste a more ashen flavor. Even I will admit a lot of burley blends tend to peter out in a bad way at the final third or fourth of the bowl (with some exceptions of course). A lot of people love Latakia, and I think it is overrated and overpowering. I still enjoy a Latakia blend now and then, but it is not normally my first choice.

That all being said, in keeping the spirit of the OP's original inquiry, here are some blends I would recommend to burley haters and why:

C&D Briar Fox: Plentiful virginias help balance the blend, and it has a natural spiciness that is enjoyable. It's the chocolate chip cookie of VaBur blends, but it is a chocolate chip cookie made at home with love. Not saying a burley hater would like this necessarily, but they would enjoy the virginias at least.

Peterson University Flake: great quality flake with a plum topping that is neither overpowering or underwhelming. For those who hate burleys because they taste too plain, this is worth a try.

Savinelli Jupiter: It's not everyone's favorite, but I like it. A burley bomb with some DFK and rum in the background. There's a lot going on, which may entice a burley hater.

Velvet: It's a codger blend, I grant that, but it is one of the smoothest codger blends with a touch of liquer sweetness. May be worth a try, especially for those who find burley too strong or rough-edged. Plus, you can get a pouch for like $5. It's cheap as dirt.

GL Pease Barbary Coast: A love it or hate it blend, but I love it. Topped with brandy and heavy on perique, it has a very fruity, plummy character that is held in check by the wise use of burleys that help keep everything grounded.

Last edited:

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Here are some Wilke blends, some different kinds, that to me don't scream "burley", but like you say, who knows what that means to someone else. You might try some samples.

Rum & Maple, Rumcake, High Hat, Hearth of Galway, Lizzie Blood Red English and Continental

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
The connection to cigarettes is interesting. In Canada, the base of cigarettes is Virginias. I’ve always wondered how that might affect us Canadians who were/are cig smokers differently as we react to Burleys or Virginias. I was slow to warm up to Burleys. Still approach cautiously. Have gone from only OTC blends with burley to enjoying others including BHT, Revelation match. Still figuring out Haunted Bookshop.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
C&D briar Fox.
Tried and tried and tried. Thought I had it down at one point and I may have ordered more than the one tin. Now, months later, I'm still on that tin and just can't get it to be pleasing. Always gets harsh.

But I recently tried Three Nuns and bam! I like that one...

(Mostly an English guy with VA & VAPer leanings thus far)

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I'm a big fan of:
  • Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic and Sir Walter Raleigh
  • Uhle's Crushed White Burley
  • Watch City Slices (replaced with Waltham Broken Cake)

Reactions: UncleRasta

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
SWR and SWRA are two of the OTC blends I enjoy. I don’t even mind Half and Half for a change of pace.
Agreed! Those are my top 3 classic blends as well, followed by Carter Hall. I don't quite "get" Granger yet and Borkum Riff Bourbon Whiskey is just okay at best. I have not had any of the others, but would like to give Velvet a go someday.

jiminy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 27, 2017
Saskatchewan, Canada
The connection to cigarettes is interesting. In Canada, the base of cigarettes is Virginias. I’ve always wondered how that might affect us Canadians who were/are cig smokers differently as we react to Burleys or Virginias.
Beyond one or two VaPers, I've generally avoided Virginia heavy blends for that very reason (I'm Canadian). A couple of my friends who were cigarette smokers naturally gravitated towards the Virginia blends because it was familiar to them.

damacene

Lurker
Jul 31, 2022
I have no idea what it's like to dislike burley, however I do love virginas. I'd recommend C&Ds Virginia Gentleman. For my money it's the best all day Va/Bur you can find.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I dislike burley
I do not tolerate burley even in small amounts. I discovered this when I received a new batch of a blend I like and it had a noticeably higher amount of burley than normal and I simply couldn't smoke it. I did some research and have posted in other threads on this forum that burley has between 12 and several hundred times the amount of nitrates of other tobaccos and reacts to a particular bacteria in the mouth that converts it to nitrous oxide which is heart healthy like red wine. Some people avoid certain red wines because of high nitrate levels. But some people genetically produce more of that bacteria and therefore are more sensitive to it. It produces acidic flavor, tongue bite, sinus irritation, headache, swelling of the mouth areas etc ... So ... I avoid burleys. I do like the nutty flavors just not the effect.

So sorry....not for me. It has nothing to do with like or dislike of flavor ... So ... more for you guys !!

munday

Lurker
Jul 4, 2014
This pipe tobacco has burley in it and virginia and black cavendish - you can smoke it all day if you like -------
One of my favorite pipe tobaccos is Sutliff Creme Brulee - its very smooth no bite - taste great - awesome room note and yes its an aromatic - I enjoy most types of pipe tobacco - however - I buy this one 5 lbs at a time.
Creme Brulee is one of Sutliff's most popular aromatics and trying it just once will show you why. This easy-smoking blend of Virginia, Burley, and Black Cavendish is accented by the addition of creamy vanilla, rich caramel, and sweet honey-based top note. When you want something sweet that has a room-pleasing aroma, Sutliff Creme Brulee is an excellent choice. You can get it for $1.87 Oz or sometimes even lower. We all know that low price does not mean
high quality - however in this case you get both. Let me know what you think of it. The smoking lamp is lit!!! MM

Reactions: hoosierpipeguy