5 brothers
Tabac Manil Le petit robin

Reactions: ofafeather

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I think a “new Burley smoker”
may find CD Burley’s a bit harsh as well as high in nicotine. They’re great blends, but I think HB or Big n Burley or even Pegasus (which I enjoy) may not be understood.

I’m going to suggest Carter Hall or Chatham first. These are mild, easy to smoke and quite tasty. He may even like the cocoa of Prince Andrew. These are two very tasty ? burleys with different flavor profiles.

...and Granger Rocks.

Last edited:

chilipalmer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2017
I'd really like to get some suggestions from the crew. I did enjoy C&D Canal Boat immensely. Looking for more blends of that ilk. Thanks!

Ahhhhh....Burley....The king of tobacco chosen by all true pipe smoking men. As a new burley devotee, I would recommend the following:

Begin with the classics. They're mild, flavorful without being heavy aromatics, easy smoking, all day blends that won't tax your palate, your nerves, or, your wallet.

Sir Walter Raleigh
Granger
Velvet
Half & Half
Match blends from Sutliff: Holiday Mixture, Revelation, Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, Bourbon Street, Briggs Mixture,
Carter Hall/H&H Chatham Manor.
Lane Ready Rubbed
Sutliff Burley J4
Sutliff Burley Delight
For a little latakia influence: Sutliff match Walnut, H&H Mid-Town Chestnut, Country Doctor, or, Edward G. Robinson

To move a little deeper into the burley world:

Amphora Burley
C&D Pegasus
Wessex Burley Slice
Solani Aged Burley Flake

With Latakia:

Samuel Gawith Navy Flake
C&D Odessa
C&D Barrister

And, last but not least, at the deep end:

C&D Old Joe Krantz
C&D Haunted Bookshop
C&D Burled Flake #1 through #5
C&D Big 'n' Burley
Peterson Irish Flake

There are many more blends out there, but, this list ought to keep you out of trouble for a while. :col:

Cheers,

Chili

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Ahhhhh....Burley....The king of tobacco chosen by all true pipe smoking men. As a new burley devotee, I would recommend the following:

Begin with the classics. They're mild, flavorful without being heavy aromatics, easy smoking, all day blends that won't tax your palate, your nerves, or, your wallet.

Sir Walter Raleigh
Granger
Velvet
Half & Half
Match blends from Sutliff: Holiday Mixture, Revelation, Edgeworth Ready Rubbed, Bourbon Street, Briggs Mixture,
Carter Hall/H&H Chatham Manor.
Lane Ready Rubbed
Sutliff Burley J4
Sutliff Burley Delight
For a little latakia influence: Sutliff match Walnut, H&H Mid-Town Chestnut, Country Doctor, or, Edward G. Robinson

To move a little deeper into the burley world:

Amphora Burley
C&D Pegasus
Wessex Burley Slice
Solani Aged Burley Flake

With Latakia:

Samuel Gawith Navy Flake
C&D Odessa
C&D Barrister

And, last but not least, at the deep end:

C&D Old Joe Krantz
C&D Haunted Bookshop
C&D Burled Flake #1 through #5
C&D Big 'n' Burley
Peterson Irish Flake

There are many more blends out there, but, this list ought to keep you out of trouble for a while. :col:

Cheers,

Chili
Out of trouble? Well, that's no good at all.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Much obliged to you all! Good to get a little sampling of ideas. I think I'll start with Solani ABF and Mac Baren GE, due to ease of access. Will branch out from there, for sure. I tried three C&D burley blends a few months ago: Canal Boat, Adagio, and BnB. Excellent, good, and fair respectively (for me). Striving for a nice rotation of blends when I desire something a little more sophisticated than an aro, but not as heavy as an English. I know latakia is an acquired taste, but sometimes I feel like I'm smoking bus exhaust. Like I admitted in the title, I'm still a novice here. Slow and steady wins the race, right?

Reactions: ofafeather
Lots of suggestions for codger blends and cased burleys, which is fine if you want to taste the stuff the blender added to the burley, instead of just a straight burley burley.
I suggest D&R Two Timer, for a pure tobacco experience. I keep a lot of this on hand. Also, GH&co Bright and Burley is a good VaBur also, but it does have a casing aroma and the Virginia add a touch of natural sweetness., but the casing is very very mild, milder than say a codger blend.
Once you know if burley is a taste that you want top explore more, I suggest Semois, and then latter C&D Burley Flake #1.

That's just my recs for exploring a full burley flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.