Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
So the picture in the Luxury Tobacco ad ON THIS FOURMS WEBSITE is a Bulldog? Boy have I been looking for the wrong pipe!!
I will have to send the two I bought back, I don't want Bulldogs. I am a Lab man, Jake would be so mad.

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
Pipeinhand, Just don't tell Jake or let him read this page. It's not like they will grow up to challenge him for dominance some day. My Lab hates bulldogs too. :)

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
Always thought of a Rhodesian as having the wide, squat bowl, while the Bulldog as being the narrow bowl, resembling the shape of a bulldogs head. I have read and heard almost as many discussions on the subject as I have the English versus Balkan question. Honestly, I think the original distinction is lost in the mists of time. Besides, I detest unnecessary rules. In my book, your pipe is a Rhodesian. Enjoy!

billm67

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2011
Camp Hill, PA
I always though the Rhodesian monicker was for pipes with wide thick bowls...I guess my favorite pipe is a bulldog...and not a Rhodesian. It's still my favorite because of the wide thick bowl.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
That one always seems to spark controversy. I believe the majority agreed upon is that the diamond shank is a bulldog and the round shank is a rhodesian. I however tend to disagree with that. To me the difference is in bowl shape. Rhodesians seem to fan out more from bottom to top and bulldogs tend to have more of a whiskey barrel shape to them. I know I'll get lambasted for it, but it's just my two cents.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
To those who subscribe to the school of a diamond shank being a bulldog I have but one question. Do you then consider the Milverton pipe from Peterson's Return of Sherlock Holmes Series to be a bulldog? It has the diamond shank you say makes it a bulldog, but it doesn't have the rings at the top of the bowl that typical bulldogs and rhodesians both have. This is why I subscribe to the bowl design more so than the shank design.

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
I think most will agree that the bulldog/rhodesian group is defined by the shape of the bowl...typically with at least one ring groove near the flare of the bowl (most commonly with two grooves). The shape of the stem is used as the secondary classifier: IMO round = rhodesian; diamond = bulldog.
The Milverton pipe, though, is simply a diamond shank billiard. Do a search on Smokingpipes for "diamond"... several other shapes of pipe with diamond shanks are available (horn, billiard, dublin, acorn)

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Bytor is right... the Milverton is just a diamond shanked billiard.
Regarding the difference between a Bulldog and a Rhodesian... I think we've pretty much covered that.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
See my mind says that if you call the Milverton "just a diamond shank billiard" then basically you're saying that the shank has no meaning to the definition of the pipe shape, therefore negating it as the differential between bulldog and rhodesian.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
That would be a RhoDog wouldn't it mlyvers? (-;
lordof, would appear your missing the link of bowl shape as well as that of the shank.

The bowl of the Milverton is rightly considered a billiard.

The shape of the bowl found on a Bulldog or Rhodesian is so very, very different and distinct from a billiard.
466px-Rhod-bulldog.gif

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I'm saying to me a bulldog and a rhodesian have different bowl shapes that differentiate one from the other, and not the diamond shank. Rhodesians tend to fan out from bottom to top and bulldogs have more of a whiskey barrel shape. The one mlyvers posted, to me, is more of a bulldog, because it has more of a whiskey barrel shape to the bowl even though the shank is round.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
I understand what you're saying, lord, but that's the thing about standards... they're standard. You may think a bulldog has a "barrel shape" regardless of the shape of the shank, but the accepted standard for a bulldog is a diamond shank with a 1/3 - 2/3 bowl divided by a bead. You're welcome to make up whatever definition you want, but it's not the standard, is it?

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
Oop, sorry lordof, I missed your initial post regarding the the bowl shapes, thought you were focusing on the shape of the shank only.

I've said before and I'll continue to comment same, discussing and "defining" a given pipes shape designation is one of the more interesting topics to me.
The bulldog/rhodesian is an especially fun one when you remember to include the bullmoose and bullcap! (-:

bytor

Can't Leave
Jan 21, 2010
Washington
I can definitely see your point regarding the shape of the bowls...seems to be the determining factor in many pipes.
On the other hand, the differences between a canadian, lovat, lumberman and liverpool are defined not just by the shape of the shank, but also the stem (taper vs. saddle).
As for the pipe that Mlyvers posted....because of the flat bottom, it seems like a hybrid between a poker and a rhodesian. Pokesian? :P

Status
Not open for further replies.