PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
I've always called this a Rhodesian. But given that I'm becoming more of a student of pipe-ology, I'm thinking it' really a bulldog.
What say you? What determines one from the other?
bulldogrhodesian.jpg

nemrod

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
Sweden
Like the others to me round shank means Rhodesian.
For me this definition comes from alt.smokers.pipes' shape chart: http://aspipes.org/shapes-chart/rhodesian/
edit: nice pipe by the way, I like fat shanks

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Yep, this question has been pondered and argued over and over. To my thinking the round shank is a Rhodesian and the square or diamond shank is a Bulldog.

glpease

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 17, 2010
California
Those who believe the rhodesian has a round shank and the bulldog a diamond shank are correct. Because, they agree with me. ;) Honestly, I really can't see any other line of demarkation between the two that make any sense at all. I know the whole bowl shape thing has been flogged like many dead horses, but when it comes down to it, the rhodsian is a round shanked bent bulldog and the bent bulldog is a diamond shank rhodesian.

Reactions: SaxonX

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
Who let that Pease fellow on the forums, always clarificatin' and postulatin'?! :lol:

Anyway, what's been said I think reflects the majority opinion; that diamond shanks are for bulldogs and round shanks are for Rhodesians...then again, part of the glory of pipes is that the majority need not rule. Either way, you have a beauty of a pipe, sir! :clap:

macnutz

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 7, 2011
This this explains why I'm fond of both the R and the B. They're twins separated at birth. :twisted:

Status
Not open for further replies.