PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
For aging blends, tins are it, with jars being almost equal but bulky to store. I find I tend to concentrate on smoking up pouch and bulk tobacco precisely because they aren't as well sealed, unless I put the bulk in jars. I really like the price on bulk and have found quite a few blends that are excellent that come in bulk. I also have 7 oz. tins and tubs for long term hoarding. Bag tobacco is essentially like bulk and needs to be jarred. I haven't gotten mylar bags, but it sounds like they are a good way of storage.

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
Most of my cellar is bulk but I’m at a point where I don’t need to add a lot more, if any at all...
Maybe this is a question for a different thread, but how did you figure out that you've cellared enough. Have you cellared more than you could possibly smoke, or done a little math (or a lot of math depending on the number of blends you cellar), or do you just have a gut feeling it's about enough?

Jeremiah Johnson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 15, 2020
Westchester County, NY
On a side note I had the experience of falling in love with a C&D blend called Epiphany, which I was buying in 200g tins. I decided to buy a couple lbs. of bulk to cellar, and was disappointed. I swear it wasn't quite the same.
I've bought lbs. that seem to have been from the bottom of the bag and have a lot of fine particles and not enough of the real ribbons or what have you. So I think going with large tins makes a lot of sense.

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
I'll say bulk, even though I have a modest cellar I can't see myself cellaring very wide. Definitely deep on the blends I like so far, and I honestly don't smoke enough weekly to worry about storage space etc, so maybe 3 or blends at this stage. I prefer jars because in my (limited) experience a few days to a week airtime balances out a blend, where as before I have been ordering bulk and smoked out of tins it would take till the last few pipefuls.
In my own experience anyway, YMMV etc.

Plus I just love seeing big jars full of tobacco - something I never thought I'd do and hope to continue for a while yet!

Brendan

Lifer
May 16, 2021
Cowra, New South Wales, Australia.
Maybe this is a question for a different thread, but how did you figure out that you've cellared enough. Have you cellared more than you could possibly smoke, or done a little math (or a lot of math depending on the number of blends you cellar), or do you just have a gut feeling it's about enough?
I recall some members have actually worked out the math..
Ounce you have an average weight of leaf per bowl, then go from there.
But honestly, as long as have the room, don't stop - unless it leads to a possible divorce.
But than again, I'll leave that up to the individual!

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Good questions! A little math tells me that if I average 2 bowls a day, everyday for a year, I'll need around 100 pounds to last 20 years. Gut feeling probably has more to do with things than math because after I actually took inventory and saw that I'd reached 100 pounds, I stopped tracking my purchases and I've never tracked my actual usage. I may not smoke at all for a couple months at a time or I may smoke 4-6 bowls a day for months at a time.

What I do know (gut feeling), is that I have at least the 100 pounds in the cellar and my ongoing purchases are exceeding my consumption. I'm 55 years old, so I've got to be close to ok. It's not uncommon to try a new blend and think "hmmm, how much of this will I want to smoke before I croak?" these kinds of incidents can cause the cellar to swell. When I look at what I have, it looks like an impossible amount to smoke through.

It'd be interesting to see the number of people who are shooting high and planning on dying with a pile of tobacco, you know, playing it safe. I understand. Who knows, I may live to 100 and kick myself for wimping out on my purchases. Then again, I may decide to quit. We've seen that more than once around here.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
(Z)((A*X) + (B*X) + (C*X) + (D*X)) = Y with ABCD being the pipes smoked in Z, X the amount in grams you smoke it, Z being the amount you smoke in days/weeks/months times amount of years and Y the sum of it all.

Maybe this sounds stupid, but only then you "know" how much is enough. If I would like to have a 30 (i'm kinda young for a pipe smoker, 30 years is just till 67 and then i'll reach retirement age so who knows ill smoke then) year cellar and I smoke 10 pipes a week each with another blend, 5 pipes á 4 grams, 5 pipes á 2 grams the Y would be (30*52)((5*4)+(5*2)) I will need 46 kilos in a cellar to reach 30 years.

I deliberately typed "know", you never can tell when enough is enough as you never will know your smoking habits will change. Just buy it all. You know what they say; tobacco never will be as cheap and available as it is today. And that's me buying pipes and not a lot of tobacco which I certainly could use more.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Bulk.

Tin seals can fail and some have reported pin holes in mylar, plus you can see if tobacco has molded in a jar.

It's pretty simple:

Just figure the average pipe holds 2.5 grams

Number of pipes you smoke per day times 2.5 grams, times 365 days = how much you smoke per year.

Take your age and figure how many years you have left to live and times that by the above number. This will tell you how many grams you should cellar.

Reference data

454 grams are in a pound
28.3 grams in an ounce
1000 grams is 2lbs. 3 ounces

mparker762

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2021
Houston, TX
how did you figure out that you've cellared enough
Not the guy you were asking, but I know I've cellared enough when I stopped getting nervous every time I finish a tin. It's not an absolute size-of-cellar number, more of a per-blend thing. If I ever finish a tin of something and get that anxious feeling in my stomach thinking about how many tins I have left, it's time to put in another order. I picked up a tin of St Bruno Flake on a lark on my last B&M visit and got that bad feeling as I got to the last layer, and placed an order for 30 tins that evening. The disappearance of Balkan Sobranie and Bengal Slices in the 90's spooked me pretty bad.

Reactions: Jeremiah Johnson

Ocam

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 4, 2020
Spain
I like bulk a lot. I feel that all the humectants and added shit have already evaporated by the time it gets to my house. So it saves me all the airing out that I normally do with my tins.

Pouches are ok. The problem is that most tobacco that comes in pouches is normally bad.