Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
There is likely a calculus as to why some companies sell tobacco in bulk, tins, pouches, or a combination thereof, but I don't know it.

I think each has its place in the current market. After all, Captain Black is one of the top selling brands and it comes in pouches, while Sutliff offers some in tins with others exclusively in bulk. Cornell and Diehl offers some of the same tobacco in both bulk and tins.

I generally buy bulk due to amounts and price. Tins are purchased if it is unavailable in bulk. Pouches are for travel (and my recent attempt at a pouch of Virginia flakes failed miserably). Note, I bought a tub of Half and Half to refill my pouch when needed.

Question: if all things were considered equal (amounts, price, availability), would you buy more pouches, tons, or bulk)? For example, if Capstan Blue were available in bulk, tins, and pouches at the same price, which packaging would you purchase most often?

I would likely buy more tins for self storage/aging/cellaring and pouches for daily use and travel. Bulk would fall by the wayside unless placing a large order to cellar deep.

Your thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

Reactions: Servant King

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I personally favor tins the most, for cellaring purposes. Jars are useful, but cumbersome--I have about a dozen of the 8 oz. "quilted" Ball brand jars, about 20 of the 16 oz. jars, and a couple 4 oz ones. They all store active blends, and fit nicely into a storage box which slides neatly into a cubicle in an Ikea bookshelf I keep in the living room. I keep a 2nd box right above it in another cubicle, exclusively for tins, of which I have maybe 40, all circular (I say this because of your Capstan example--square tins sometimes have faulty seals). I definitely favor tins over both pouches and jarred bulk blends.

But hey, it's all about whatever you prefer, not what I like, or what any of these other fine undistinguished gentlemen like. I think that's the one thing everyone on here can argue about agree upon. ?

Rob NC

Lurker
Dec 1, 2021
North Carolina
Once I find something I really like I tend to buy the big tins (200g) if they are available.

On a side note I had the experience of falling in love with a C&D blend called Epiphany, which I was buying in 200g tins. I decided to buy a couple lbs. of bulk to cellar, and was disappointed. I swear it wasn't quite the same.

Jaylotw

Lifer
Mar 13, 2020
NE Ohio
That's tough. If pouches sealed well and cellared like tins Id go that way, considering I travel with Ziploc bags of tobacco, but I do love the look and feel of tins, besides their other obvious merits.

If a blend was offered in all three, I'd buy bulk.

If I really am honest, the packaging doesn't mean much to me as so much of what I buy immediately gets transferred to jars, anyway, save for some tinned blends I've stocked up on.

Fralphog

Lifer
Oct 28, 2021
Idaho
Based on your premise that “ amounts, price, availability” are equal, I would buy the tins. It Wouldn’t make sense to buy bulk and then have to buy a storage device (Canning jars...) to cellar part of your bulk purchase and put some into your rotation. Having tins available allows you to open tobacco tins to add to your rotation as needed and the tins are transportable.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
There are pros and cons to each option obviously. Most of my cellar is bulk but I’m at a point where I don’t need to add a lot more, if any at all, so I’m leaning towards buying tins if it’s an option. It’s tough to pass up a discount but I’m just tired of dicking around with jars.

HopHand

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 17, 2021
Montrose Colorado
Tins. They take up so much less room in the cupboard vs Jars and my pouches always seem to arrive crispy. When I want to take tobacco with me I put it in one of my many travel pouches which all seal better then the factory pouches not to mention look better.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
This has been discussed a lot. The reason I buy tins, bulk tobacco is in essence non existing in europe and what I like now doenst make a big difference if you calculate a jar for it. Storing tins is also easier. Bulk in my smoking habit won't make a big difference, I smoke 1 blend once a week, a pound will last about 100 to 130 weeks, so the financial benefits will evaporate, if I would smoke a bit more it might be worth it.

username

Lifer
Dec 24, 2014
Tucson Az
Most of my cellar is tins but that’s mostly because the blends I went deep on aren’t a available in bulk. Never noticed a difference between old joe krantz in a tin and bulk that’s the only one I cellar that offered in both. I went with bulk on that one as it’s cheaper.

Reactions: Jeremiah Johnson

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
I’d probably buy the tins. Easier storage. Plus I think they’re just kinda fun to handle and fiddle with.

I’m not much of a pack rat. My dad and uncle lost everything they had in a flood when they were young boys. Neither of them will throw anything away. I wouldn’t say they’re like hoarders you see on those tv shows. But that flood def left a psychological imprint.

I have a stack of about 10 empty tins at the moment I just can’t seem to part with. But for me, I’ve got in the back of my mind that, unless society just totally collapses & distracts otherwise bored lawmakers, the government is just not gonna let us enjoy our tobaccos in peace. So I often wonder if these tins are gonna be worth money someday as antiques.

Probably not. Just my luck. And I’m not trying to have a house full of empty tins.

Not to highjack the thread here, but does anybody know anything about that? Have you ever seen any of those old tobacco tins become collectors items? I guess Altoids and Old Ritz cracker tins could also fall in this category.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I’d probably buy the tins. Easier storage. Plus I think they’re just kinda fun to handle and fiddle with.

I’m not much of a pack rat. My dad and uncle lost everything they had in a flood when they were young boys. Neither of them will throw anything away. I wouldn’t say they’re like hoarders you see on those tv shows. But that flood def left a psychological imprint.

I have a stack of about 10 empty tins at the moment I just can’t seem to part with. But for me, I’ve got in the back of my mind that, unless society just totally collapses & distracts otherwise bored lawmakers, the government is just not gonna let us enjoy our tobaccos in peace. So I often wonder if these tins are gonna be worth money someday as antiques.

Probably not. Just my luck. And I’m not trying to have a house full of empty tins.

Not to highjack the thread here, but does anybody know anything about that? Have you ever seen any of those old tobacco tins become collectors items? I guess Altoids and Old Ritz cracker tins could also fall in this category.
I've seen tins and pouches (closer to sacks) on Ebay.

My favorite repurposing of a tin is making a small clock by inserting a tiny clock mechanism in the lid. The mechanism can be purchased at craft stores (like Michael's) for about $20.

I made one for my daughter using a tin candy container from the movie Frozen. If I can figure it out and make a clock, most anyone can.

Here is the one I created for my daughter, sitting on the "shelf" of the clock my grandfather made.

Attachments

• 20211212_153613.jpg
    20211212_153613.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 12
Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Tins are the apparent (and unsurprising) packaging of choice.

So, aside from manufacturing costs, why aren't more bulk blends also sold in tins? I'm guessing some bulk blends would both sell and age well in tins (I'm looking at you Sutliff Virginia Slice).

Likewise, why wouldn't some pouch blends get tinned? I'm guessing Captain Black may age just fine and recall a member here recently purchasing an old tin of Velvet at a thrift store (but relying on memory is dangerous).

DonutLuvr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 12, 2019
Butler County, Ohio
If it was equal to the price of bulk, I’d be all tins specifically. There is nothing like cracking open a ages tin, or even a new one, and getting the swoosh sound and then the tin note hitting you in the face. ?

I have 48 pint jars currently and 12 quart sized jars. Storage space is a real problem for me. My tins and such I have in a plastic tote. I’m estimating somewhere around 100ish tins in various sizes, to include 4oz 8 oz tins and bags. Easy to tuck out of way and dig in when I want something.