PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

pagan_piper36

Lurker
Aug 28, 2021
What’s up guys, beginner’s question here. Thanks in advance for advice.
I’m conflicted when it comes to purchasing tobacco. It only makes sense to buy in bulk if possible. It saves a lot of money and I’d get much more tobacco. There’s a particular blend I’m wanting to buy that is $32 for an 8 ounce can, and $2.40 per ounce when you order 16 oz. or more. Do the math and it’s a no brainer. My question is, say I was planning on not opening the can (or tin) right away, but instead storing it for a while to age some, and say I take that bulk tobacco and store it properly and let it age for a while, will it be as good as if I were to pop open a tin of the same product after the same amount of time? Gosh I hope that makes sense. It doesn’t help that ALL the tins are really cool looking to begin with. Thanks,
Steven

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Luckily I know what you mean and the answer to your question is that bulks will always be cheaper than tinned blends. I personally hate bulks as jars take up way too much space. Most of my favorites came in tins only. If you price out a bowl of tinned tobacco it isn't that much more than bulks. I will always pay the extra for tins.

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
The sealed unit will undergo changes, whether it's a tin sealed by the manufacturer 4 months ago or you sealing a jar today.

The importance in any aging is the period of uninterrupted time sealed, so that the tobacco and accompanying microbes have time to go through aerobic change (in the oxygenated environment) and then on to the anaerobic (un-oxygenated) changes.

The bulk tobacco may have lost a bit of moisture, compared to the pre-tinned. Not necessarily a bad thing, just a thing to consider. As long as there is some moisture, it would likely be okay.

Buy a tin and a pound and report back here with the results in 2031... nnnn

Welcome to the forum!

1631736395424.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Makes perfect sense. If you get a canning jar with a good seal, preferably new, its aging properties will probably be about the same as a tin. The unknown is how long the bulk tobacco has been out in the air and how dry it has become. Most of the bulk I get has moisture enough and keeps just fine for aging purposes. Round tins are perhaps the most secure, because they have presumably been tinned very fresh. Some rectangular and square tins have been known to crack at the seal and leak, but I think this is unusual. You'll do fine for aging purposes if you jar the bulk tobacco as soon as it arrives in quality canning jars with fresh seals. I really like the savings with bulk tobacco. The only caution for new pipe smokers is to not buy a large quantities if the tobacco may not appeal to you as much over the long run. I'd sample in small quantities for a year or two, using bulk tobacco in jars, until you find out what you like in the longer term. If you don't like a blend, jar it and try it again later. Your taste will develop and change.

pagan_piper36

Lurker
Aug 28, 2021
Eureka! I’ll just mix it up a bit and get my favorite VaPers in sealed tins and my burleys and whatnot in bulk, and be sure to store them properly. Not so much looking for a better tobacco after 5 years, just want to be certain that whatever I do have stored away is as good as it should be. I guess I have this crazy fear that one day it will be impossible to buy anymore. Thanks y’all

Mar 1, 2014
What’s up guys, beginner’s question here. Thanks in advance for advice.
I’m conflicted when it comes to purchasing tobacco. It only makes sense to buy in bulk if possible. It saves a lot of money and I’d get much more tobacco. There’s a particular blend I’m wanting to buy that is $32 for an 8 ounce can, and $2.40 per ounce when you order 16 oz. or more. Do the math and it’s a no brainer. My question is, say I was planning on not opening the can (or tin) right away, but instead storing it for a while to age some, and say I take that bulk tobacco and store it properly and let it age for a while, will it be as good as if I were to pop open a tin of the same product after the same amount of time? Gosh I hope that makes sense. It doesn’t help that ALL the tins are really cool looking to begin with. Thanks,
Steven
Yes, properly sealed jars are every bit as satisfying as a tin.

The one problem I am somewhat concerned with (but have not experienced quite yet) is large jars are said to air out and lose some of the aged flavor after being left partly empty.
It's more economical to store in large jars, but if you do, plan on breaking down the large jar into smaller jars after opening. Kind of like Whiskey, don't leave a bottle half full for too long.

Do yourself a huge favor and only buy wide mouth jars.

Last edited:

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Ive been buying bulk of Gawith Hoggarth lately and I do find bulk is a little dryer but its fine. I do wish they would mylar bag and seal their bulk tobacco.
And the vast majority of G&H blends are only available in bulk.

I prefer tins but buy both to some extent. Both are fine. Pound for pound though if your “bulking” up the seller then bulk is the cost effective option.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I’m not sure what jars or Mylar cost in the states, but don’t forgot to include the upfront costs of those into your cost comparison. Also depending on the blend, a sealed tin may hold more than its weight in future trade/sale value. If it were me, in this instance I’d be going bulk purely to get twice as much tobacco for more or less the same price.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I don’t think you can go wrong with jars or tins. You can age your tobacco in any sealed environment, so both should accomplish the task. Granted, there will probably be some difference in the end result. Whether one is better than another is anyone’s guess. Intentionally cellaring and aging blends is a pretty new phenomenon.

In my case, I’ve moved away gradually from bulk in favor of tins just because of the convenience. All I buy these days is the smaller ~100g tins, unless bulk is the only option.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
If there is a tobacco that comes in tin and bulk, I will never buy the tin because I don't want to pay for packaging. Storage space hasn't really become an issue for me, but tins usually take up less room. As far as aging, tin or Mason jar both work very well for aging, as long as the seal is in tact.

Edit: I know that buying Mason jars is paying for packaging ?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I wouldn't buy bulk solely for price, especially if you plan on storing the bulk in jars. Jars aren't free. And it takes up more space.. I buy bulk more for long term aging. I trust the Mason jars more over a ten year plus period of time than I do tins. Now if you're buying a pound and smoking through that in a month or two, price certainly is a factor.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
Eureka! I’ll just mix it up a bit and get my favorite VaPers in sealed tins and my burleys and whatnot in bulk, and be sure to store them properly. Not so much looking for a better tobacco after 5 years, just want to be certain that whatever I do have stored away is as good as it should be. I guess I have this crazy fear that one day it will be impossible to buy anymore. Thanks y’all
If you like VaPers and your planning to age, do yourself a big favour and buy a pound of Aj's Vaper, jar it and forget. [It's a good idea to split a pound into two jars. One for a years time and keep the other to age further undisturbed]
Did not like it fresh. Once it's aged it transforms superbly.