PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
I’d be most inclined to trust cans long term that have a foil seal on them like C/D or Sutliff does…. After that I’d still trust tins, but properly packed unopened jars I would think would hold up too. It’s a good question…

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Great thread and before clicking i honestly thought the majority would say go bulk, even though I have noticed that buying some Virginia No1 in a tin it had a nice moistness to it and a much richer aroma (for the same reason I'm sure) compared to some bulk of the same brand / blend. Looks like I'll be going on a case by case basis of which i like better the tinned version or the bulk.

Like everything else "personal preference" is the key.

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but seems there are always new people here and I bet this thread will get some fresh traction.

edger

Lifer
Dec 9, 2016
Mayer AZ
I’ve only bought bulk for the last 25 years. Cheaper, easy to share, fun to jar. I put the full mason jars back in the cardboard tray so they stack nicely. No reason for me to purchase tins.
Now that the scolds are putting their warnings on packaging, you don’t even get appealing tin art!

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Luckily I know what you mean and the answer to your question is that bulks will always be cheaper than tinned blends. I personally hate bulks as jars take up way too much space. Most of my favorites came in tins only. If you price out a bowl of tinned tobacco it isn't that much more than bulks. I will always pay the extra for tins.

I get it, and tins look cool and stack nicely; however, I prefer to buy in bulk and store in the mylar bags that have a clear side. They store easily and I can look at the tobacco every now and then and know what's what. For bulks in flake form, I store the nicest flakes in the first bags, finishing with a 'scrum' bag, which I smoke first.

For the 'coolness' factor, I print nice color labels for each mylar bag.

Reactions: edger

MacMarty89

Can't Leave
Dec 8, 2021
Greater Eindhoven Area, Netherlands
I’ve bought bulk, but it has always been in tins of either 50g or 100g. I can stack those easily. And when I crack one open and the tobacco has dried enough to my liking, I get one of those quilted 8 oz Ball mason jars and store it in there. When it’s too much, I have wide mouth 16 oz amber Ball mason jars. In my experience those Ball mason jars are the best.

7E309B4F-E19B-4558-8A24-CAF66B975897.jpeg

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
It's all bulk until it gets out into a tin for sale!

But seriously, buy whatever blends that you like in whatever package first that they are available. Some blends are bulk only and some are tin only. For blends that you like that come both ways, determine if there's a notable difference for yourself and buy the one that you prefer..

Reactions: ofafeather

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
These

They are 7mil clear front gusseted Mylar. Food grade. My recommendation is do not buy from Amazon. I’ve only ever bought small 1oz sample size bags from Amazon. It’s fine for that, but not for longer term.

my source

Thanks! I have 5mil Mylar heat seal ones I use for doubling up prepackaged bundles but would like to get ones like these to have less jars.

Reactions: Jimmy_Jack

Jimmy_Jack

Can't Leave
Jun 24, 2021
These

are 7mil clear front gusseted Mylar. Food grade. My recommendation is do not buy from Amazon. I’ve only ever bought small 1oz sample size bags from Amazon. It’s fine for that, but not for longer term.
Thanks! I have 5mil Mylar heat seal ones I use for doubling up prepackaged bundles but would like to get ones like these to have less jars.
Then use those brother. I’m sure they’ll be just fine. Mine can heat seal too. I use my food saver.

Reactions: ofafeather